Sign in to follow this  
Kahgarak

Set reviews...

*sweet* Does anyone know where i can find detailed reviews (with pics) of nearly all SW sets?

I tried FBTB, but these guys are so lazy that they nearly never update the older sets.

Thanks in advance.

If you're looking for picture reviews, try Brickshelf. Some users [neostwjp for example] have very detailed folders containing pictures of sets.

Maybe we could start a review topic in the main forum for all sets not just star wars. We would have to have some guidlines like maximum pic size of 640x480 and only 10 pictures per review. Each review title should star with a set number to make it easy to search for. What do a Mod,s and Admin guys think of this? :-)

Maybe we could start a review topic in the main forum for all sets not just star wars. We would have to have some guidlines like maximum pic size of 640x480 and only 10 pictures per review. Each review title should star with a set number to make it easy to search for. What do a Mod,s and Admin guys think of this? :-)

Unless I misunderstood your qustion, I believe this is already being done. There is an index of reviews pinned at the top of each forum with links to all the sets that have been reviewed. Is this what you are asking for?

Unless I misunderstood your qustion, I believe this is already being done. There is an index of reviews pinned at the top of each forum with links to all the sets that have been reviewed. Is this what you are asking for?

What i meant was maybe have a main topic subject like LEGO Theater and Buy sell trade and finds

that was just for reviews of sets. So people could find the review they were looking for as they would be all in one place as not all reviews have links to them on the site. It's only a idea :-)

What i meant was maybe have a main topic subject like LEGO Theater and Buy sell trade and finds

that was just for reviews of sets. So people could find the review they were looking for as they would be all in one place as not all reviews have links to them on the site. It's only a idea :-)

It makes sense, but I don't think it's too much effort to find the reviews. I mean go to the forum of the theme you want the review of, and check the index. Even if you can't figure out the forum, we have less than 10, it wouldn't take too much time. Making a whole forum for them would make it HARDER to find them I'd think. And be a waste to boot.

You're probably aware of this already but Brickset have user reviews of most sets including Star Wars. I liked the fact that each set is linked from Bricklink so I could jump from the technical details and inventory etc. to the review. Helped influence the buying decision taking into account the price.

regards

David

Heck, why not a forum while they're at it? It'd be easier to find what you want than a topic crowded with pics.

Heck, why not a forum while they're at it? It'd be easier to find what you want than a topic crowded with pics.

Er, that's sarcasm, right? It was hard enough getting a Star Wars sub forum, do you really think we need yet another subforum just for reviews? An index would be enough, and there's no way in hell we'd get another sub anyway :-D

Sorry SW4J, didn't see your post, too busy replying to mutley's idea than read your post. |-/ Why would it be harder to find something in a forum?

It just seems to me that with all the lengthy posts with the set pictures, it would be hard to find something. (think of the scrolling) But, you're the Mod, not me. You know better.

Sorry SW4J, didn't see your post, too busy replying to mutley's idea than read your post. |-/ Why would it be harder to find something in a forum?

It just seems to me that with all the lengthy posts with the set pictures, it would be hard to find something. (think of the scrolling) But, you're the Mod, not me. You know better.

Well, it wouldn't be harder, but it would be silly to have an entire forum devoted to set reviews of a single theme! Even a subforum...wouldn't it make much more sense to scroll through a pinned index? That way you're not hunting through a huge list of pictures. You just look for the name of the set you want to read a review of, and click the link to be taken to that topic.

As you may have seen, multiple subforums don't always meet with board approval, more than a few people don't like having to click multiple times to get through and see everything, and a sub forum to a sub forum would just be too much. I can see where you're coming from, and who knows, it may be implemented, but I wouldn't hold my breath :-P

Ah, you meant just star wars. That'd make no sense. I was talking about all reviews, but that'd be a bit cluttered too, as well.

OK, it seems like I don't contribute all that much to EB (busy boy) but I think I have a few set reviews that I wrote over a long period of time on my hard disk. I concur that we don't have enough reviews available. SW is certainly my thing. SO, here's what I suggest:

Members post what set they'd like a review of. I'll endeavour to review it, if I have it (I have most). I won't do them too often, maybe just oen or two a week so as to promote discussion. I think too many reviews too quickly means they just get overlooked. Doing it this way may mean some pleasent recall of buying the set, rather than looking for specific reviews. This regularity is also because I'm a Busy Boy (I think I mentioned).

However, things to bear in mind:

- I won't be posting photo's. Dial-up connection, poor photography skills and being a Busy Boy

- I don't pretend to be any good, though I will be honest. Once I post the first one, discussion may then generate more detail on certain aspects anyway.

What do you all think?