Sign in to follow this  
LukefromNJ

Review: 60022 Cargo Terminal (lots of images)

Very nice review. Great shots of details and love the "suggestions" you made along the way for improvements which I will probably do as well now that you have convinced me to get one. :wink:

If you do get the set and make the modifications, please post them on this thread!

Right now I'm sitting here debating with myself to go and get one of these right this second... it's a great set, and since my job is to load freighters like this on a daily basis it really appeals to me (yes, conveyors are fun to drive!) the only thing that is holding me back is the immense size of the set - I already have 3182 Airport and that plane sits on the shelf in another room gathering dust since I can't put it anywhere else - so getting another that is a similar size is a really hard sell. though, what would have made it a must-buy for me would be if LEGO had replaced the forklift (which IRL is highly unsafe to load a plane with) for an actual scissor lift cargo loader:

cargo-loader.jpg

Something close to it was in set 7734 Cargo Plane, but it didn't really look like anything realistic.

Oh, who am I kidding... I'll probably buy it anyway. i think the one mod i'll have to do to it is make it a high- wing aircraft in order to make the entire main deck one smooth floor for cargo (from experience that wing piece has two large spans that effectively cut the fuselage in half, hence the empty void in the middle)

Oh, for those that are curious as to why the jet's tail swings away (or thought it was unrealistic), it's inspired by the real-life 747 Dreamlifter, a modifed 747 built to carry aircraft fuselages internally. yes, it's very ugly, and yes, the hinges for the door stick out of the sides worse than the ones on this model!

The deck floor on this model actually goes right at the wing level, so converting the entire thing to cargo use is pretty easy, without any changes made to the wing location. The problem is trying to retain the opening door aspects whilst being able to access the middle section via the roof easily.

Regarding size and LEGO airplanes, I think the 3181 Passenger Plane is good, its only 6-wide (with a smaller wingspan than these large 8-wide planes) and the parts it has are more generically useful for things other than airplanes (they are nice for helicopters for example :)

Now all I need is for TLG to make the tail piece from that set in red and I will be able to make a nice airplane out of it in the colors of the national airline of Australia, QANTAS.

Yesterday I finally got and built my cargo termial and i was very impress with the build especially the vehicles. The vehicles really gives this set an airport atmosphere. I however, was astonished by the size of the plane. It is just too big and I cant even find a place in my room to put it. It is just way out of scale and I wished lego had made it in a similar size to the previous cargo plane. This isnt a complaint because I love the plane and am very happy wih it, I just wish it wasnt so darn big.