I need to invest in small boxes to store all the different bricks. I have now 10 middle sized boxes with everything and I'm always losing time with searching the right parts. I like the way Sariel has organized it!

My working place is rather tiny, but now you can visit it on the video:

Good stock:). Is it your bedroom also, or just lego-PC-room?

P.s.Video does not include hamster. My son will be dissappointed.

Edited by rm8

It's a Lego/PC room with a bed :) It's a small apartment and there's a single large room, with hamsters sitting in the kitchen. All their lives are about food, so it actually makes sense ;)

We're just re-arranging and getting set up. I have a glass-top L-shape desk that is going to be my work area. I haven't finished re-assembling the L, but being glass, I can put instructions down on the keyboard drawer so that they're not in the way when using the top of the desk! :grin:

11467821084_cab796a726.jpg

11467821564_9b63044a3d.jpg

:blush: Yeah, well...I want to see what's left over after I have 8868 and 8880 assembled. To be honest, after those two are built my Technic selection is very meager. I've got a couple MOC things I want to put a go at, but the LEGO fairy seems to skip visiting my house while the bill fairy is pulling double shifts... :look:

@Sariel it's amazing the amount of pieces that you have! Looking at your creations I was wondering how many parts you should own and now I had a taste of them :) Is it possibile to know how many technic sets do you have? Do the majority of your parts come from bricklink or what else?

Big compliments again for all! Cheers

Hi. I don't have that many pieces actually, probably well under 100,000. I don't have many sets either since I rarely buy any, I mostly shop for individual pieces - probably no more than 40, maybe 50. Yes, most of these come from Bricklink.

I'm not really a collector, I simply buy the pieces I need for some project, and only as few as possible (since more pieces = complicated storage). I know there's a lot of people out there with collections easily 10 times the size of mine, and some of them don't even bother with MOCs. I recall seeing some SW fan who owned over a hundred sets and just kept them around assembled, even several assembled copies of the same set. Especially in US there are AFOLs with hefty budgets and a market with cheap sets - like the Seattle folks who have built 200,000-pieces Rivendell or 400,000-pieces Hogwarts. That means a single project several times larger than my entire collection - I could never afford it in my whole life.

Here is my building place. It is actually our desk in the living room. I have most parts (the studless ones) stored in these four sorting storage. I plan to sort and store my studded parts as well.

TinkerBricks%20Workspace.JPG

The iPad holder is really useful. Fits portrait and landscape mode with adjustable tilt angle. And it's free, just "steel" a few duplo bricks from your kids (who btw love to tear it apart only for me having to reassemble it.

@Alasdair: As long as your happy while building... This was the way I was building as a kid. A hugh pile of unsorted bricks on the floor and scratching through the pile every seconds while hunting for one of a total of 3 of those decorated 1x1plates or half pin. I think I traumatized my parents with that noise. ;-)

@Alasdair: As long as your happy while building... This was the way I was building as a kid. A hugh pile of unsorted bricks on the floor and scratching through the pile every seconds while hunting for one of a total of 3 of those decorated 1x1plates or half pin. I think I traumatized my parents with that noise. ;-)

You can see my other collection (proper) earlier on in this topic. :thumbup:

I guess I can say that I am one of those lucky guys that has two collections. :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

My setup is pretty much the same as Alasdair's. But usually only one MOC can be kept built if I'm building something (if that MOC is not red).

I started using these fold-up paper boxes, inside of cardboard fold-up flats, for sorting parts for builds. For WIP, works great, as I can put the lid on and move the box out of the way, to make room for other projects. Both the cardboard flats and the fold-ups are very inexpensive.

IMG_20140123_231325086.jpg

Bulk parts are stored either in inconvenient IKEA-brand food storage containers or inconvenient small plastic cabinet, again with the fold-up boxes acting as trays. I am going to Home Depot sometime soon to look for a better solution.

IMG_20140123_231509075.jpg

IMG_20140123_231449860.jpg

Edited by JGW3000

I've started that way as well. Cutlery trays (from a probably fairly unknown blue and yellow coloured Swedish furniture store) work great for building new set as well.

Then i organized my parts in small boxes with hinged lids (could be found in the kids section). But i was annoyed by the two dimensional layout as it required far to much real estate on my desk.

So i went for the drawers magazines seen in post #88. These work great. Building is much more comfortable and the can be sowed away within seconds.

Here is my working area.

I'm new to this forum. I hope the picture shows.

work_area.jpg

I use sorting boxes. Some with hinged covers that i take out.

When the table is needed it's easy to close all the boxes and stow away.

Tires and some of the lot of pins I have are kept out of view.

I don't have a lot of parts.

When the Unimog came out I decided that instead of buying the set, I would bricklink just the parts I needed.

It's been like that for the last couple of years. This way I keep the parts to a minimum.

I also find quite interesting to find alternative building solutions when I don't have some parts (as 8070 and 8285 above).

Best