Huw

10183 Hobby Train review

Useful review, thanks. Looks like the right set for absolute train beginners like me.... just to supplement

the new Cargo Train and MOC a bit around. 8-|

Gah, I just ordered one from Shop at Home yesterday. Now I'm doubly psyched!

How many people were actually chosen to get these pre-release versions of the set?

this set looks sooo good!!

AFOLs have been waiting for something like this to come out for a long time!

i only have a couple train sets and this would come in handy to build a beaytefull city train like the one i am dreaming!

if it wasnt for the corner cafe i would probaply get this one

but i dont have money for both right now..

Useful review, thanks. Looks like the right set for absolute train beginners like me.... just to supplement

the new Cargo Train and MOC a bit around. 8-|

Yes, for you and other 'beginners' it is an ideal set. So much scope to build some very cool trains, either those that there are instructions for, or some of your own design.

It's good to see that you can make more than one model at a time. From the pics from BJ7 there's a few models I like.

My absolute favorite locomotives are these two:

aml56dabo63nohetu.jpgaml56prtegih1ftqq.jpg

That GP-something or SD-something really looks like a heavy cargo engine. And the electric locomotive reminds me of the locomotives I grew up with. I hope there's a way to build both with one set or I'll try to use bricks of my own stash.

Also nice are:

aml57zc4003140spe.jpgaml58afbeermbqa8i.jpg

aml58plxog0w7wbiq.jpgaml58ytcmofgu885u.jpg

From the waggons I like Ben Beneke's model the most:

aml5a5icostqywe36.jpg

Also nice are:

aml5ajkyr4j6dxaoi.jpgaml5avjtr6zj6a82a.jpg

The last one's particularly "cute" for a small cargo train. All the smaller sets to me have that 1980s feeling which I like.

Those are the models I'll try when I get the set eventually. 9 models, about a third of what's advertised. Not that bad I think...

if it wasnt for the corner cafe i would probaply get this one

but i dont have money for both right now..

Me too! And I prefer the Caf

this set seems to have some well designed models... the two hobbes pointed out as his favorites are very well designed... and i agree they are my favorite, too.

i think it is interesting LEGO is testing this type of set with the "hobby trains". i think a "Basic"/"Freestyle" themed set like this one has good appeal. however, i hope that this is not the only future outlet for 9v (as discussed when the RC train was introduced). i would like to see some more traditionally styled sets.

because, i think the two main marketing problems behind this concept were brought out in the review...

Apparently the reason is that there were simply not enough elements available in the more desirable colours to make it viable, and manufacturing them specially was not an option.
and
Consequently, if you have a sizable collection there's probably nothing here that you don't have already.
in summary, the designs are well executed within the constrants of this interesting concept.

i hope it is successful. however, as many have said, CC is going to take a lot of interest away from this set, expecially since they are generally in the same parent theme of city/trains, and are both marketed toward the same fan base, within the same price range.

- BrickMiner

I think I'll be getting this set before I get the CC. The cafe corner is simply too perfect, I would built it once and then let it sit on a desk for years, to big to fit on my current lay-out. But I think I would have a lot of fun with this set, the only thing that is holding me back at the moment are the online instructions, I never built near my Mac, and since it is already six years old ( it can't run LDD 1.5 because of my gfx card). I need to be near my dad's Mac(pfffft). I would prefer it if the instructions where available in pdf or book form so i could simply print them out.

But i'm really looking forward from learning from the masters and collecting pieces to built models in another color.

It seems to me that most models are not designed to fit a motor. this saddens me a lot :(

Some are, but most can be fitted with a motor. The others need some modifications then it should be possible, too. For someone 16+ this should be doable.

. For someone 16+ this should be doable.

This is completly beside the point. for example: this model would look completly different with a motor attached.

It would need to be much longer and loose it's compact view. On the other hand one could simply stuff a motor in a waggon.

pict0073.jpg

I plan on buying this set to learn 'from the masters', as highland said. Buying the set not only gives me more parts, but also gives me all the parts I need to build all 30 models (just not at the same time). However, I will be buying or searching for the parts necessary to build all of the models I like most from this set, and in different color schemes where possible. That way I can have my cake and eat it, too.

Plus I need a lot more rolling stock... I have just as many locomotives as I have rolling stock. :-|

--Tony

This is completly beside the point. for example: this model would look completly different with a motor attached.

It would need to be much longer and loose it's compact view. On the other hand one could simply stuff a motor in a waggon.

Exactly... That's just what I said in my comunity forum.

I have bought recently the IR cargo train and I think it is a great set and I don't dislike the IR sistem either.

But this set beeing more directed to the 9v motors really holds me on buying it (that and the lack of money of course |-/ ) but I think it might be a good solution to put the IR battery and motor base inside a waggon.

If someone with a good selection of pieces want's to try this I would love to see some ideas.

Of course the set is great even if you don't have a motor to put in, you still can buikd a lot of wagons and stuff...

I will buy it as soon as I can... this and the corner cafe.

So after reading the 10182 review I'm curious about the box of this set: Is it like all of our contemporary destroy-to-open boxes or does it have some sort of tab system like the 10182 box?

So after reading the 10182 review I'm curious about the box of this set: Is it like all of our contemporary destroy-to-open boxes or does it have some sort of tab system like the 10182 box?

Yes the box has the tab so it can be closed securely. I really like this feature.

Mike

I like the remote controlled passenger train better...and the Metroliner.

It's good to see that you can make more than one model at a time. From the pics from BJ7 there's a few models I like.

My absolute favorite locomotives are these two:

aml56dabo63nohetu.jpgaml56prtegih1ftqq.jpg

*snip*

I apologize for digging this old thread up, but I found in my basement that I actually have this set still sealed.

I've done some digging on these forums and came across the comment in the above quote indicating that you could actually build more than 1 at a time. Does anyone know which model combinations could net you more than 1 model at a time without adding more to whatever's already provided in the set?

I I remember correctly I built at the same time: left locomotive from your quote, small blacke steamer and low long car with box tied with chains.

wow .. 3 models?! Is that #4, 7 and 27? If so, that's a pretty nice combo and I quite like it :)

Any ideas what else can be made from the leftovers of model #1?

10183.jpg

I have now built 1, 4 and 9, but with addition of some smaller parts and some minor modifications to models.

The main problem when building several cars are wheels and buffers. You get 12wheels and you use 8 for main model, so you are left with four which is good for one car. If you add 9V motor to both locomotives then you get additional 4 wheels, so it's possible to build what I wrote. You may also have to add some plain bricks and plates, but I think that we all have enough of these.

I apologize for digging this old thread up, but I found in my basement that I actually have this set still sealed.

Does that say something about the size of your lego collection or more about your memory? :wink: