Bonaparte

What kind of AFOL are you?

It's a tricky question. There is a LUG in Ireland which I only found out about a month or so ago and they do meet monthly. I'm a member of their website and keep an eye on it. However, they are centred largely around Dublin and I'm on the west coast so to get to a meeting is near impossible being just shy of 200km away.

So I guess, yes I'm a member, no I don't really support them at this time.

I do participate online on other sites and have posted here a few times as well and often post on the likes of BrickSet and have done a few small reviews. If I had more time, I would probably participate more but I have 2 young kids, pre-school, so I'm kept busy all the time and barely get much time building stuff.

Edited by BeeGeeDee

• Are you a member of a LUG?

Yes.
  • Are you actively participating in your LUG?

Yes, I have been an officer, event organizer, and volunteer and regularly contribute to club displays and events.
  • Would you consider supporting more actively the online AFOL community (e.g. Eurobricks) as moderator, regulator (indexing, ...), making set reviews, etc.

I already support the online community as a Trustee on
which takes most of my available "support" time.

Yep! I'm a member of GSLUG, New Jersey. I also founded WisLUG which is in other capable hands now that I've moved out of Wisconsin.
    Not at the moment. I just moved here and they haven't had a meeting for August yet, but I hope to be involved once I meet everyone.
  • Would you consider supporting more actively the online AFOL community
    I am happy where I am and with what I do here at the wonderful Eurobricks. :dhappy:

I'm a member of MUGS and MLTC. I attend regular meetings of both and display at events and train shows about five times a year. I was formally on the organising committee for Brickvention, and am the current treasurer for the MLTC.

Online I'm a member of a number of groups, and moderate on a couple.

That's an interesting topic!

I'm not a member of a LUG, mostly because I don't even know if there are any LUGs in my region, especially LUGs for constraction figures.

I'd gladly join one if there would be one though.

As far as the online AFOL community goes, I wrote reviews for most of my Hero Factory sets since summer 2011 (which reminds me I still have to write the Dragon Bolt review), and I'm also otherwise quite active in the Action figure discussions (in fact, Eurobricks is probably one of the boards where I'm the most active in overall).

Am I a LUG member? No. AFAIK, there is no LUG within my area (Spokane, WA). In fact, I know of no other AFOLs besides my self and my wife, who does it for me more than out of her own interest. However, if a LUG started here, I'd consider joining. Would I be active? Possibly, depending on what was required. As for online involvement, Eurobricks is the only forum in which I post, and I don't post often. I'm content with browsing the various topics that interest me, and if I feel strongly enough about something, I'll post. I'm not a socially inclined person, so I keep my commentary and involvement to a comfortable low. However, I do love this site, as it's a remarkable resource for reviews (thanks to all who do them), pics, news, MOCs, and just general commentary involving the hobby.

1) No, the nearest LUG is 90 miles away. First, the expenses for travel and setting up displays would likely exceed discounts offered by LUGBulk. Second, the one event in which I'd like to regularly participate, Brickworld, is not an eligible LUGBulk display.

2) I would be reluctant. For better or worse, I have had a lot of experience on message boards and now post only if I have something extraordinary to contribute.

Edited by RoxYourBlox

I'm not a member of a LUG. I want to join the Brickish Association but apparently you cannot do so without owning a checkbook(!). Not to crazy about acquiring one so sent them a mail asking for alternate payment methods but got no response :/

Edited by asksol

• I'm one of the founder members of the brick.ie LUG in Ireland and a site admin there.

• You could say I'm active. I'm the brick.ie Lugbulk co-ordinator and actively post there aswell as here. Some of the Irish media stuff has come my way also. There are a relatively small number of AFOLs in Ireland and I'd be of the view that some people are less at ease than others when it comes to meeting up in the real world let alone bringing MOCs to public displays. I have built some MOCs and for the past few years I've been bringing them to events we've participated at aswell as Skaerbaek and Legoworld Copenhagen in a personal capacity.

• Would you consider supporting more actively the online AFOL community (e.g. Eurobricks) as moderator, regulator (indexing, ...), making set reviews, etc.?
  • If it wasn't too time consuming I might, maybe set reviews. Not sure what role I'd be good at other than perhaps a eurobricks event t-shirt organiser. I did a few set inventories for bricklink a few years ago before I discovered this site.

• Are you a member of a LUG? Yes, CoWLUG (Colorado/Wyoming LUG)

• Are you actively participating in your LUG? Yes

• If yes, what do you do (e.g. helping out during events, making displays, etc.)? Contribute MOCs to displays, help coordinate displays every now and then, help during sorting/building events

• Would you consider supporting more actively the online AFOL community (e.g. Eurobricks) as moderator, regulator (indexing, ...), making set reviews, etc.? No
    • If the answer is no, what's the reason (e.g. lack of time, ...)? Lack of time, mostly

YES - Portuguese LUG

• If yes, what do you do (e.g. helping out during events, making displays, etc.)?

I'm currently the LEGO Ambassador for the PLUG and I have been trying to be active in this way. Making MOCs is not my best but I try to participate during the expositions by providing sets to display and by helping the public build
(at our latest expo).

• Would you consider supporting more actively the online AFOL community (e.g. Eurobricks) as moderator, regulator (indexing, ...), making set reviews, etc.?
    • If the answer is yes, where do you possibly see yourself contributing?

Our LUG has an open forum (and a closed section as well) in Portuguese where I believe I participate quite a lot. I post once in a while on Eurobricks but the lack of time does not allow me to do much more.

If I were to participate more, it would be with sets reviews for example.
Edited by csiquet

Yes Swebrick, (www.swebrick.se)

Oh Yes..
    • If yes, what do you do (e.g. helping out during events, making displays, etc.)?
      Im the chairman of Swebrick, and that includes helping out and organizing events but I also build MOCS, and do reviews (not as often as I would)

Perhaps in the future. For now Swebrick takes up most of my time. :wink:
      I think I save that question for later.. lets say after the EB event :classic:

• Are you a member of a LUG? No. From time to time, people from NELUG have tried to "recruit" me when I see them at events but I've yet to feel any real compelling reason to join up. I know several of their members by name and they usually recognize me when I show up at an event, but we don't really socialize.

• If yes, what do you do (e.g. helping out during events, making displays, etc.)? While not actually a member, I have on occasion helped "police" small hands at events when the official "guardian" of a display needs to step away for a bathroom break or to grab food.
    • If no, what's holding you back?
    • Time - never enough of that;
    • Location - I live in the city proper and don't feel like taking an hour to drive 15 miles into the suburbs in rush hour traffic after work to make the meetings
    • Activities - from what I gather, they're mostly a shopping and dinner club, meeting at a Lego Store and going to dinner afterwards; yes, they build things for events (and even set the record for longest monorail - twice ) but I kinda get the impression that spending time with the LUG would be taking time away from my "build time" rather than enhancing it. Maybe I just don't know what they do - maybe I just don't know what to expect from a LUG
    • Focus - My local LUG is _REALLY_ into trains, which is fine, I like them too, but not to the detriment of everything else Lego encompasses. I remember talking with one member who really wanted NELUG to exhibit at Boston ComicCon but was getting a lot of opposition because other members didn't see what ComicCon had to do with trains and didn't think SuperHero ideas were worth pursuing.
    • Force of Habit - I've been a Lego-loner for nearly half a century now. Even just sharing my work with others is something I've only recently (past couple of years) started toying with; I do enjoy chatting with other AFOLs, but my creative processes have always been rather solitary activities.

• Would you consider supporting more actively the online AFOL community (e.g. Eurobricks) as moderator, regulator (indexing, ...), making set reviews, etc.? "Consider" probably, follow through with, who knows.
    • If the answer is yes, where do you possibly see yourself contributing? I could see myself doing a review here or there or maybe writing an article for some place like Brickset. Friends often ask me for purchasing advice and query my opinions of new sets already so writing things down for general consumption wouldn't be much of a departure from daily life. Words and opinions usually come (too) easily for me; Hell, my posts in the forums usually fill an entire screen - if anything, I need an editor to tell me when to stop typing...
    • If the answer is no, what's the reason (e.g. lack of time, ...)? To quote Star Trek: Generations "Time is the fire in which we burn" or the original Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory "We have so little to do and so much time - no wait - strike that, reverse it!" Speaking of which, I'd best get back to work now...

Edited by ShaydDeGrai

• Are you a member of a LUG? Yes, I'm member of LCC (Lego Collectors Club - an RLUG with members in Belgium and the Netherlands)
    • If yes, what do you do (e.g. helping out during events, making displays, etc.)? I'm actively posting on our facebook page, helping people where I can, sponsored some plates for our club house, participated in our first Lego fair last year (= Rock that Block)  ...
  • Would you consider supporting more actively the online AFOL community (e.g. Eurobricks) as moderator, regulator (indexing, ...), making set reviews, etc.?
    • If the answer is no, what's the reason (e.g. lack of time, ...)?
      • I would consider it maybe in the future. At this moment only time is holding me back. I hardly have time to read all the new posts on a daily basis, which makes me jump to the themes that interest me the most only :(