Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

The Arbiter II Completed

thindexedgif.gif 1a

So we have a built ship... it might be a little long for its width, but I am much happier with it than I was with its predecessor. I made a few last minute design changes, like raising the gun deck one stud... but I still don't have any sort of authentic tumblehome effect... I guess I wouldn't want the hull any narrower though, as 18 studs is already too thin!

Anyhow the new boat!

aarbiter1.jpg

aarbiter2.jpg

bow01.jpg_thumb.jpg bow02.jpg_thumb.jpg bow08.jpg_thumb.jpg bow04.jpg_thumb.jpg bow07.jpg_thumb.jpg bow06.jpg_thumb.jpg

mid01.jpg_thumb.jpg mid02.jpg_thumb.jpg mid04.jpg_thumb.jpg mid06.jpg_thumb.jpg mid10.jpg_thumb.jpg mid12.jpg_thumb.jpg

stern01.jpg_thumb.jpg stern04.jpg_thumb.jpg stern06.jpg_thumb.jpg stern10.jpg_thumb.jpg stern11.jpg_thumb.jpg stern12.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_1394.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1404.jpg_thumb.jpg

NOTE: This thread was split from the in progress thread.

Here is the link to the progress topic: The Arbiter II In progress, A MOC and story by ZCerberus

That's loveley... The sails turn out great, and the cabin is really much and much better than the previous version. The lenght is fine to me, I think it looks good the way it is, no need for tumblehome!

How much guns can it have?

Mr Tiber

That's a nice looking ship Z. *y*

If you ever decide to have a built-hull, it'd probably be a lot easier to have the now infamous tumblehome effect.

I see the original Z-Swivel guns. *y*

Sorry i hadn't noticed them earlier :-$

P

Edit:

Hey Z,

Who's the cute kid in this pic?

How much guns can it have?

Mr Tiber

12 per side on the gun deck, seven per side on the main deck and there are two chasers.

(12 * 2) + (7 * 2) + 2 = 40

There are also two ports low by the rudder, but there is no firing platform there.

I see the original Z-Swivel guns. *y*

Sorry i hadn't noticed them earlier :-$

The swivels were also first on the Sienna.

Edit:

Hey Z,

Who's the cute kid in this pic?

That is my niece.

Since I edited the folder, the pictures is now here... The Picture. I had her lay down next to the ship for a scale check, the ship is about 4 or 5 inches longer than she is tall.

You have perfected your ship-building skills almost to the level of art!

Really, this is a masterpiece. I took about 15 minutes to check all the details in each picture.

I will be re-using some of your ideas for my ships if you don't mind.

A tumblehome-effect is nice, but certainly not a must on this ship.

Maybe making it a few studs wider could be a possible improvement, but I don't know if this is possible with your technique?

A practical question: Shall I update the thumbnail in the index (its the first you see in the index)? Which thumb do you prefer?

Maybe making it a few studs wider could be a possible improvement, but I don't know if this is possible with your technique?

Not easily. I guess I could with some inverted slopes, but unless I go brickbuilt, I think this is as wide as it will get for now.

A practical question: Shall I update the thumbnail in the index (its the first you see in the index)? Which thumb do you prefer?

Well I always like 3/4 shots, but on this ship, one from the side might be better. However, I think the pictures are a little dark, so I might retake the same general ones a little later today. I will let you know then which one I prefer.

You have perfected your ship-building skills almost to the level of art!

Really, this is a masterpiece.

Thank you Mister Moderator!

I will be re-using some of your ideas for my ships if you don't mind.

Why I don't mind at all, but maybe you can say you got the idea from me when you use it *y*

The pictures above have now been edited. They are a bit brighter and easier to pic the detail up on now.

As for which one to add to the index...

I think we should replace the Arbiter II one that is in there with this one...

aarbiter1.jpg_thumb.jpg

or if the size works better for you, this one...

pirateship.jpg_thumb.jpg

Why I don't mind at all, but maybe you can say you got the idea from me when you use it *y*

Thanks! I'll do that Mr. Z.

As for which one to add to the index...

I think we should replace the Arbiter II one that is in there with this one...

aarbiter1.jpg_thumb.jpg

or if the size works better for you, this one...

pirateship.jpg_thumb.jpg

I have used the first thumb for the index.

The pictures are much better now.

Mr. Tiber felt I could use some exercise (and he is correct!).

So he asked me to see to your request for the splitting of this topic.

With a shaking hand I tried this (afraid something would go wrong), but no worries! It went well.

Here is the link to the progress topic: The Arbiter II In progress, A MOC and story by ZCerberus

Thank you mister moderator!

As an added bonus, my three big ships showing off their names!

img_1410.jpg

I never noticed the creative use of the H pieces for II... very creative!! And good job splitting the Topics Bonaparte!! *y* *y* *y*

Mr Tiber

I never noticed the creative use of the H pieces for II... very creative!! And good job splitting the Topics Bonaparte!! *y* *y* *y*

Mr Tiber

Thanks.

Well I think I used up both the 'I's I got in the key chain package on sIenna and arbIter, so I needed to use the 'H's as 'Covenant', 'Sienna' and 'Arbiter' are all without 'Hs'. plus they look more like Roman numerals.

So I was thinking maybe I should show a quick and dirty post of the old ship next to the new one so everyone has an easy place to view the changes...

Here they be!

--Old--

arbiter1.jpg

--New--

aarbiter2.jpg

I think the sails are the biggest improvement, though the Cabin upgrade doesn't hurt either.

A big improvement indeed. The new ship looks much better (especially the sails).

With each ship you build your skills are improving, so its normal the latest is the best.

So, what's your next project?

I'd say that Admiral Z will be redoing the Adventure and the other treasure ship (The name evades me...)

A big improvement indeed. The new ship looks much better (especially the sails).

With each ship you build your skills are improving, so its normal the latest is the best.

So, what's your next project?

Well I have several ideas...

1) I have 3, narrow dark gray hulls... I was thinking of making 2 schooners, one for the Imperials, and one for the Pirates, and then a small sloop or hoy for the Pirates as they are vastly out gunned right now. These ships would not be nearly as grand as the Arbiter II, but they would help make pirates competative... maybe.

2) It occurs to me that Fort Brighton is more of a Harbor than a fort. I don't think it could fend off the Arbiter II and probably not the Venganza either. So I was thinking of greatly expaning the fortress section on the fort as well as placing another gun battery at the base of the light tower.

3) I would like to do a small MLCAD remodel on the cabin of the New Covenant.

4) My Spanish fleet has a flagship and two small ships both of which need an upgrade.

5) The Fortune and Adventure might need to be cleaned, but I replaced the sails with the Official LEGO® ones while I was home. I am not sure they need an update as they are so small that the only update I could really do would be to change the colors to match the big ships, I am not sure that is necessary, but it might be a future plan.

Well I have several ideas...

1) I have 3, narrow dark gray hulls... I was thinking of making 2 schooners, one for the Imperials, and one for the Pirates, and then a small sloop or hoy for the Pirates as they are vastly out gunned right now. These ships would not be nearly as grand as the Arbiter II, but they would help make pirates competitive... maybe.

2) It occurs to me that Fort Brighton is more of a Harbor than a fort. I don't think it could fend off the Arbiter II and probably not the Venganza either. So I was thinking of greatly expanding the fortress section on the fort as well as placing another gun battery at the base of the light tower.

3) I would like to do a small MLCAD remodel on the cabin of the New Covenant.

4) My Spanish fleet has a flagship and two small ships both of which need an upgrade.

5) The Fortune and Adventure might need to be cleaned, but I replaced the sails with the Official LEGO

So the Arbiter II is finally finished after all this time! Has it been officially lanched yet with the traditional christening - I.e. wasting a perfectly good bottle of champagne by breaking it against the hull? :-D

Nice to read about all the plans you still have.

You are certainly an incredible productive (and talented) member of the pirate forum.

Thank Mr Moderator!

I think I am more inclined to work on the second thing on the list right now, expanding the fortress capabilities of Fort Brighton.

So the Arbiter II is finally finished after all this time!

Well to be fair to me, I was separated from my Legos since December.

Has it been officially launched yet with the traditional christening - I.e. wasting a perfectly good bottle of champagne by breaking it against the hull? :-D

Wasted? Did Germany waste a bottle of champaign when it launched the Bismarck? You never waste a bottle of champaign when you launch a flagship my man! *y* :-D

Other than being traditional, why would you smash a champagne bottle on your legos? They'd get very wet, and smell of alchahol ;-).

Other than being traditional, why would you smash a champagne bottle on your legos? They'd get very wet, and smell of alchahol ;-).

It was a LEGO® bottle of champaigne of course!

THEY MAKE THOSE? ;-)

Anyways, if really it it with a champange bottle, you would be very unhappy with the new 'Christening' ;-) Though you could suck all the champange off every Brick before re-assembly.

Well to be fair to me, I was separated from my Legos since December.

Yes, indeed! It would take me years to complete a MOC of this size and awesomeness.

But is the Artibter II really completed - it won't be you go back and add those extra features.

I think I am more inclined to work on the second thing on the list right now, expanding the fortress capabilities of Fort Brighton.

Yes, that's a wonderful idea! Get to work right away! We're due for a new WIP thread any day now X-D

Yes, indeed! It would take me years to complete a MOC of this size and awesomeness.

But is the Artibter II really completed - it won't be you go back and add those extra features.

Umm... the second sentence doesn't make much sense, but I would say the Arbiter II is now complete while the Venganza could use some more work sometime in the future.

Yes, that's a wonderful idea! Get to work right away! We're due for a new WIP thread any day now X-D

In case you missed it, Phes is referencing an expansion of Fort Brighton, which was my first MOC featured on the forums here.

Wow, sorry for not posting here yet. That ship is impressive, I must say.

I like the two black knight satues near the front 'O the ship, they give it a nice touch. But then again, all of the ptrs are a nice touch.

The captains cabin is nice, it looks spacish. More room to store treasure, and more importantly, rum!

I am guessing you spent most of your time attaching the sails to the ship, as it looks really complicated with all the strings and all.

I give it a 10/10. BTW, Whos that dude in the 14th thumbnail? :-P

Wow, sorry for not posting here yet. That ship is impressive, I must say.

I like the two black knight satues near the front 'O the ship, they give it a nice touch. But then again, all of the ptrs are a nice touch.

The captains cabin is nice, it looks spacish. More room to store treasure, and more importantly, rum!

I am guessing you spent most of your time attaching the sails to the ship, as it looks really complicated with all the strings and all.

I give it a 10/10. BTW, Whos that dude in the 14th thumbnail? :-P

The sail attachment is somewhat complicated at some sections. I did it that way so if you move the little Technic lift arm, it tightens of loosens the string to loosen or tighten the sails. I am not sure I could have got the sails to stay as they are in between the masts without that technique!

I also redid the sails on the 'Sienna' which uses a more complex rigging system, but the same idea. I increased the size of the yardarm and made canvas sails for her.

I didn't post the pictures in that thread because my little niece got a hold of the ship and flipped all the gun ports and oar covers and one of the cannons down. I didn't notice until I was looking at the photos. Anyhow, you can see the upgraded Sienna by clicking the below thumbnail. You will notice the technique is the same, but there 4 ropes per yardarm to keep it positioned in the right place!

img_1429.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1435.jpg_thumb.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumb 14 is the Admiral of my Fleet, recently knighted, Sir Buress.

The photo in case you are curious...

stern04.jpg_thumb.jpg

It is the same guy as the one in my avatar!