The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I think a couple more like the Pet Shop, 2 16x32 buildings that can be separated, would be fantastic.  A small shop on the bottom floor of one, and residences everywhere else.  The Pet Shop is so versatile because of this.

Aside from that, a hospital would be great to see.  I'd also like to see a garage for auto repair and maintenance.

Definitely agree with you @x105Black. And you can move them around and connect them to other modulars. I thought that they were going to do that with the AS when i first saw it.

On 7/26/2017 at 3:12 PM, BrickFit26 said:

We already have a bakery. A candy shop would be nice to see.

We possibly already have two bakeries! The ground floor of Market Street has been thought to be a bakery because of the croissant sign.

I agree that having two many governmental buildings feels a bit lopsided and that having more residential buildings, or combo residential/store buildings would be great. A full residential building in a 2x 16x32 configuration with a few different colours (similar to Pet Shop) would probably sell well with people buying multiple copies. In saying that, our town is still missing a medical practice (a dentist doesn't count) and I would love to see a 32x32 medical clinic. 

I would like a library, bookstore, day care or clinic.

The bookstore and daycare could be combined with residential space a la Green Grocer or Pet shop.

15 hours ago, Steilanor said:

In saying that, our town is still missing a medical practice (a dentist doesn't count) and I would love to see a 32x32 medical clinic. 

Made me wonder what an in-world Lego doctor's office would look like. I thought of spare arms and legs hung up and in bins. Sheesh.

21 hours ago, Steilanor said:

We possibly already have two bakeries! The ground floor of Market Street has been thought to be a bakery because of the croissant sign.

I agree that having two many governmental buildings feels a bit lopsided and that having more residential buildings, or combo residential/store buildings would be great. A full residential building in a 2x 16x32 configuration with a few different colours (similar to Pet Shop) would probably sell well with people buying multiple copies. In saying that, our town is still missing a medical practice (a dentist doesn't count) and I would love to see a 32x32 medical clinic. 

100% Agree with you on a residential building.

What are the chances LEGO would re-release the original modular buildings, starting with Cafe Corner? That set is over 10 years old, most people missed out on it since the modular line was just getting off the ground... and the aftermarket on it obviously prevents most of us from ever owning it. They re-released/updated the Toy Shop from the Winter Village collection a few years ago, after all. And they seem to have no problem rehashing UCS Star Wars sets year after year. It seems like there would be a market for LEGO to cycle through the first few modular sets one per year in the summer as a limited-run anniversary edition, and still put out a new set each January.

As for the next new modular building, I would like to see a residential/mixed use building as well. But if so, I hope they return to a ~$150 price point for it, especially given how many massive new sets are coming to market (Ninjago City, UCS Falcon, Wayne Manor(?), etc.). If LEGO is going to keep pushing $270 modular sets at us, they ought to be grander structures... e.g., a train station (seems unlikely for 2018, if that is actually the subject of this year's Winter Village set), a natural history museum (the interior could outdo the exterior for once: dinosaur skeleton, wooly mammoth, cavemen, etc.), or a library. Assembly Square just felt like a Pet Shop or Detective's Office with another small building tacked on... for nearly 2x the price (though the homages to previous modular sets were nice).

10 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

What are the chances LEGO would re-release the original modular buildings, starting with Cafe Corner?

I've heard one of the Lego designers (Jamie Beard, I think) discuss the difficulty in doing this due to different parts used today.  For example, the first modular buildings used doors that are 1x4x5, but now those door frames are 1x4x6.  So it would require a significant redesign.  Not impossible, I guess, but Jamie seemed to suggest it was highly unlikely.

But in general, I agree that Lego would make a fortune off of a "Legacy Theme" which re-issued older sets.  I'm all for it.  I missed out on the Emerald Night train, Harry Potter, and the older Pirates of the Carribean sets.  I would love to own some of those.

5 minutes ago, wooster said:

I've heard one of the Lego designers (Jamie Beard, I think) discuss the difficulty in doing this due to different parts used today.  For example, the first modular buildings used doors that are 1x4x5, but now those door frames are 1x4x6.  So it would require a significant redesign.  Not impossible, I guess, but Jamie seemed to suggest it was highly unlikely.

The snarky cynic in me wants to say, "well just make the whole thing one stud taller, duh." though of course I know there's more to it than that. And my guess is that a re-release of Cafe Corner would require more than just accommodating a few updated parts... since they didn't include interiors back then, a new edition would probably be more of an upgraded model than a re-release. So yes, unlikely... but, a boy can dream...

9 hours ago, badbob001 said:

Made me wonder what an in-world Lego doctor's office would look like. I thought of spare arms and legs hung up and in bins. Sheesh.

Haha, nice picture. Would be an idea for a Halloween-related modular :laugh:

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

What are the chances LEGO would re-release the original modular buildings, starting with Cafe Corner? That set is over 10 years old, most people missed out on it since the modular line was just getting off the ground... and the aftermarket on it obviously prevents most of us from ever owning it. They re-released/updated the Toy Shop from the Winter Village collection a few years ago, after all. And they seem to have no problem rehashing UCS Star Wars sets year after year. It seems like there would be a market for LEGO to cycle through the first few modular sets one per year in the summer as a limited-run anniversary edition, and still put out a new set each January.

Very slim, this is the reasons:

1. the parts already mentioned above

2. almost nobody that has the early modulars will buy the sets

3. Lego only have a limited number of sets they can release every year

4. In the case of the toy shop, it was that or nothing in the winter village series that year for some reason. Do not think they will end up with that dilemma in the modular line..

5. they have tried re-release several sets before without a big success..

14 hours ago, jdubbs said:

As for the next new modular building, I would like to see a residential/mixed use building as well. But if so, I hope they return to a ~$150 price point for it, especially given how many massive new sets are coming to market (Ninjago City, UCS Falcon, Wayne Manor(?), etc.). If LEGO is going to keep pushing $270 modular sets at us, they ought to be grander structures... e.g., a train station (seems unlikely for 2018, if that is actually the subject of this year's Winter Village set), a natural history museum (the interior could outdo the exterior for once: dinosaur skeleton, wooly mammoth, cavemen, etc.), or a library. Assembly Square just felt like a Pet Shop or Detective's Office with another small building tacked on... for nearly 2x the price (though the homages to previous modular sets were nice).

I would doubt they will go down this route of a re-release for all modulars. For people just discovering modulars now of course are disappointed they've missed the boat a decade ago. Someone in 5 years time will be sad they've missed out on the parisian restaurant and would want re-release of that and so on it goes, you can't keep re-releasing forever to humor newcomers. Also for any of the modulars that didn't sell as well (Town hall I believe as one example) might not be very profitable re-releasing if it wasn't even that popular in the first place, but of course if they chose to ignore it and re-release all others than the town hall for example then someone would complain about it not 'completing their set'.

Most of the early sets are able to be made using current elements without much noticeable difference, and as many people have proved on EB and also in many of the flickr/moc pages groups there are some awesome custom modularmocs. After 10 years of official inspiration there is plenty to go off for people to make their own.

Some people will sadly need to accept that whats gone has gone, it's not the end of the world missing the odd modular - I'm not picking on you jdubbs! :) It's just I've seen so many comments on here and places such as brickset etc wanting re-releases.

As for whats next to come I just hope it has a new colour or lots of elements of a rare colour - gold would be very welcome! I'm going to stick my neck out and say........... bookshop possibly with an apartment above.

Cheers

I definitely take your points and agree that not all retired sets can be re-released... and yes, Bricklinking is an option, though it too can be expensive and time-consuming, depending on how accurate you want to be to the original. I guess I just feel that — while I don't want to belabor the issue or drive this thread off-track — there are certain sets that have become iconic, such as Cafe Corner, Emerald Night train, Imperial Flagship, etc., for which there is clearly a strong, resurgent market, especially as LEGO fandom grows. (Just look at Cafe Corner's listing in Brickset... nearly twice as many people want it than have it, and nearly twice as many people want it versus any other modular set.) 

The UCS Millennium Falcon is a set that didn't actually do that well when it was original released, and yet ended up selling for 10x the original price on the secondary market.... the demand for it grew and grew until now LEGO is (or appears to be) issuing a new version of it. I'd like to think that other (non-Star Wars) iconic sets could receive similar treatment down the line. 

At first, I was kind of sad there would never be a chance to own a Cafe Corner or a Green Grocer without paying a lot of money.  Now, when I see the Cafe Corner, it seems dated and does not fit in well with the newer buildings.   Over the years, we have had new parts and design techniques introduced.  There has been more focus to detail, especially with interiors in recent years.  Cafe Corner sits completely empty inside, and it pales in comparison to some of the others that have come out since its time.  Luckily, I have reached the point where there is not a need to be a completionist and get every one for the sake of having them all.  It will save me some money.  So far, I have all of the ones since the Fire Brigade with the exception of the Detective's Office and am fine with that.  For those who missed out on the earlier ones and still would like to have them, perhaps a suggestion would be to bricklink the parts and be open to part and color substitutions.  Rumor has it that the Blue Grocer is a lot cheaper.  

Now, if Lego did decide after all to rerelease an older modular, I would bet that it would not be identical to the original--kind of like the Winter Village Toy Shop.

16 hours ago, wooster said:

But in general, I agree that Lego would make a fortune off of a "Legacy Theme" which re-issued older sets.  I'm all for it.  I missed out on the Emerald Night train, Harry Potter, and the older Pirates of the Carribean sets.  I would love to own some of those.

They've done this on the past...I believe it was labeled "Legends." It included a few different sets, one being the Black Sea Barracuda. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can better confirm, but I don't recall them selling very well. So, not sure another line up would be good for business. 

I agree with the calls for a residential building. I'd love to see a small apartment block. And I think Lego could still introduce a "story" dynamic with interactions between the residents of the apartments. I'd also be happy to see a pair of townhouses, but that might be a bit too similar to the Pet Shop. If they continue with the "business downstairs", "residential upstairs" approach, then that isn't terrible either.

I know that Emmet's apartment building in The Lego Movie was a modified Town Hall and that many AFOLs don't like the Town Hall because they consider it to be too bland, but I think a small block of apartments could still be interesting. Perhaps something like these:

c34386a7c3a07ad154b42e6a8c00845a--apartm

atlanta-7950.jpg

small-brick-apartment-building-and-viewi

They could add some interest to the façade with signage, etc similar to the Ninjago City Modular (although obviously not to the same extent).

As for re-releases of Café Corner, Green Grocer and Market Street. I would buy them. I also think that they could change the designs, colours and include interiors to differentiate them from the original releases. But, given that there are still so many "new" Modular ideas available, I'm not sure they would take up a "new" slot by re-releasing a prior Modular, even if it was amended / updated.

Ooops! I only intended to post links, not actual images. I can't figure out how to change it, but more than happy for a Mod to do so. Sorry for inadvertently cluttering up the thread with images!

Those look good. I've been wanting to see a residential block for a long time. 

In other news, The Ninjago City Modular has already been reviewed. It really is such a big modular, that looks incredible. Only thing I didn't care for is the back is so open because of the lake on the first floor. I understand they left the back really open so the waterway can be visible from the top. It just seems like a lot of empty space that could have been used for more stores or living areas. I also think the 2 restaurants should have been maybe combined into one, and used the space for something else. Besides that, the Ninjago City modular is perfect. I found this really detailed review on the Ninjago Movie forum. I'll be saving up for it. Enjoy. 

So if Winter Village is 10259, 10256 should be another modular building for next year. :) :wacko::wacko: ???
I'm very confused???
Someone doubts me.

Someone takes away my doubt. ???

Edited by CapitaoHook

14 minutes ago, CapitaoHook said:

So if Winter Village is 10259, 10256 should be another modular building for next year. :) :wacko::wacko: ???
I'm very confused???
Someone doubts me.

Someone takes away my doubt. ???

Maybe 10256 is totally another set where we know nothing about? :wink: I doubt it's already the next modular.

36 minutes ago, Kjellevirus said:

Maybe 10256 is totally another set where we know nothing about? :wink: I doubt it's already the next modular.

Maybe it's number 10256 is the new town plan ?? For the year 2018 seen Town Plan turns 60 years.
Could it be, or is it unlikely to be a town plan ???

Thank you clarification. Kjellevirus :wink:

54 minutes ago, Chilis said:

Anyone knows if it will be an early VIPrelease in the Ninjago City?

Yes, it's on the August calendar, available the 16th, at least in the US.

1 hour ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

I suppose that a Lego Store would be likely, as next year the Lego brick turns 60 years, so that might be a way to celebrate it...

That's not a bad idea at all...