The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

11 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

I need more room in my house!

So do I. :look:

The video is indeed a nice treat for all the modular AFOL fans.
Can't wait how the 25th modular will look like! :wink:

21 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

Having just watched Jamie B's video, I have to say I could have watched him talk about the history for an hour!  felt there was so much more he could have told us all.  Really looks like these buildings are here to stay.  I need more room in my house!

My thoughts exactly. I would love to learn more about the design stages each building went through, and where the inspiration came from.

It was also great to see more of the original design of Green Grocer. There've been a few small pictures arounbd for years now, but seeing it up close now, I have to say, I like the released version a lot better.
In contrast, Market Street looked much better with the original red color scheme.

Ok, 10 to 20 more years to go, so cool! I like the story behind the scenes, I also prefer the red version of MS.. and like the first version of GG as well, but I understand the rational behind the final sets..

Did not know about MS designer being invited and only spent 2 days on it..

Thought it was more like the lego ideas process.. I hope Jasper Joppe Geers will be invited sometime for a weekend.. He would be the only one to replace Jamie, not on the product governance but on the design itself..

I hope TLG will enhance this theme with a sort of MY MODULAR type sets.  Something similar to the MY TRAIN theme many years back.  Different styles of 16 x 32 row houses...affordable and a little more detailed than their entry level creator modular sets

One of the designers mentioned somethingq about a Train Station modular as what he would like to see. Is that a clue for an upcoming modular? Anybody else catch that?

1 hour ago, BrickFit26 said:

One of the designers mentioned somethingq about a Train Station modular as what he would like to see. Is that a clue for an upcoming modular? Anybody else catch that?

That was not a designer, but one of the two AFOLs that they interviewed.

Question for those in the know...

over in the CMF discussion (leaked/hinted) information on the just anounced series has been around for a good few months and there is already fairly solid rumour about 2018's line.

Is there a specific reason no such information has been leaked/hinted at with regards to the next modular?

Thanks!

I think less people are involved in the development process of modular buildings than cmf's so more information can be kept to a need to know basis and the market is much smaller.  But why would you want to know anyway?  It would only prolong the wait until the next reveal. 

Great answer thanks Sven!

But to answer your question, I used to sneak down on Christmas Eve and grope my presents under the tree.

?

Edited by jonahtron

On 4/4/2017 at 7:05 PM, finnbricker said:

That was not a designer, but one of the two AFOLs that they interviewed.

Thanks. I wish one of them would have told them we need more living spaces for minifigures for a next modular.

On 4/7/2017 at 5:26 AM, jonahtron said:

over in the CMF discussion (leaked/hinted) information on the just anounced series has been around for a good few months and there is already fairly solid rumour about 2018's line.

Is there a specific reason no such information has been leaked/hinted at with regards to the next modular?

Perhaps the CMF parts are sourced from many more countries than the modular buildings, which can lead to more opportunities for leaks. I think many toy leaks are from factory workers. LEGO now has factories in China and CMF parts can be sourced from there, but I don't think all/most sets are using those factories yet.

Edited by badbob001

On 04/08/2017 at 7:28 AM, jonahtron said:

Great answer thanks Sven!

But to answer your question, I used to sneak down on Christmas Eve and grope my presents under the tree.

?

Ooh Matron!

That was a cool video. Interesting to hear the backstory on Market Street's origin. I had always wondered which came first, MS or Cafe Corner. Seeing the tan townhouse next to the pet shop on the shelf...that's a nice looking build. And the Green Grocer. 

I think it's unlikely.  I reckon that there will be a 16 wide 'starter' set produced perhaps, to entice those currently not willing to spend £140+ on the regular sized modulars. Perhaps something not quite so intricate as the current models, or maybe parts lighter than half a full modular, to get the price sub £80 or € equivalent.

On 24/04/2017 at 1:52 PM, jus1973 said:

I think it's unlikely.  I reckon that there will be a 16 wide 'starter' set produced perhaps, to entice those currently not willing to spend £140+ on the regular sized modulars. Perhaps something not quite so intricate as the current models, or maybe parts lighter than half a full modular, to get the price sub £80 or € equivalent.

Don't they pretty much already exist? Like the bike shop, and burger bar etc? I wouldn't want them to go too basic with a proper modular, half the reason I like them is they go all out on everything. Their price point is clearly aimed at adults who want a decent all out set. If they start aiming for a half-price price point, I think the quality and detail would start to suffer.

15 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Don't they pretty much already exist? Like the bike shop, and burger bar etc? I wouldn't want them to go too basic with a proper modular, half the reason I like them is they go all out on everything. Their price point is clearly aimed at adults who want a decent all out set. If they start aiming for a half-price price point, I think the quality and detail would start to suffer.

I've got those, and whilst they are an inspiration piece, they are not modular.  They are only half as deep and often open backed.  I think it might allow younger builders to MOC modulars having learned the basic techniques.

8 hours ago, jus1973 said:

I've got those, and whilst they are an inspiration piece, they are not modular.  They are only half as deep and often open backed.  I think it might allow younger builders to MOC modulars having learned the basic techniques.

Everything in those sets is there to teach younger builders the techniques to moc modulars. You're right, they're not modulars, but they do provide a modular quality front facade with a mini interior, and potential to expand how they wish. Not to mention those sets are a 3in1, so provide a varied building quality and more techniques. If I bought 2 of the burger bar sets (which I actually have, just not got round to doing this yet), it'd be half he price of a £120 set, which is the bottom end of the modulars pricing, and enable me to create my own mini modular following on from the techniques within the set. I really don't see the need for TLG to create a set at the £60-80 price range. There is already far too much choice to choose from as it is! 

Hello,

I tend to disagree here..

It's been years that AFOL request 16 wide modulars on top of the 32 (48) wide modular released each year.. The 3 in 1 creators sets truly introduce younger builders to modulars techniques, but even if you buy multiple copies, it will not be sufficient to make a full 16 wide "grand" build with the same intend TLG does when creating the official ones.

TLG did not follow this curve and I assume they have good reasons not to do so, but still, a smaller release in the summer with approximately 1000+ bricks would be a seller, I am quite sure about that.

As for the choice in the 60-80 pounds, well there are some nice pieces (i.e. great vehicules), but none targeted to adult "modular" fans..

If I could I'd make a vote here, who would like to see a 16 wide modular in addition to the expected 32 wide one every year?

I think that the way to go would be mid year 16 wide residential building and 32 wide (non-multiple) typical release.  That way they can sell multiples of the mid-year release because you can never have too much housing and the 32 wides could be building you really only need one of, i.e. town hall, fire brigade, and newly; hospital, police station, government building, etc.

2 hours ago, SwissBrick said:

If I could I'd make a vote here, who would like to see a 16 wide modular in addition to the expected 32 wide one every year?

I would hope they don't, as there's already so much to buy throughout the year, and would take away some of the anticipation & excitement that surrounds the Modular releases. 

^And I think as many people on here that would want it, there are plenty of other people who would rather put their money toward other LEGO themes. I don't think the market could handle 2 modulars a year, even if one is a smaller 16x.

20 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

^And I think as many people on here that would want it, there are plenty of other people who would rather put their money toward other LEGO themes. I don't think the market could handle 2 modulars a year, even if one is a smaller 16x.

Don't know.. personally I buy other sets because i need my lego fix, but would 150% buy another or even more modulars each year instead of other lego themes.. But it has been discussed here over and over to see an additional 16 wide modular so I am not expressing my own only opinion...  However I can understand that people are also interested in other themes.. Personally, I prefer the ones fitting with modulars, i.e. GBHQ, Haunted House, or even fairground sets or earlier creator full size houses. Anyway, let's brick on!

New AFOL here. Just recently started purchasing again and obtained trains 60051 and 60052. Now looking to purchase the modular buildings. I ones I prefer are Brick Bank and Parisian Restaurant. However, it might make more sense to look at Palace Cinema since it is older and will likely be retired first. How long of a market life do these things usually have? When they retire sets, do they usually retire them on 12/31 or is it random? Any input is appreciated. Just looking for advice as far as purchase order.