The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Please continue the discussion on the Detective's Office here. Thank you.

Please read the last couple of posts before posting. I referred everyone to the new thread with the press release three times by now.

so if i have the fire brigade, which is the best available modular that looks good next to it and is a fun build?

I don't have FB, however PS or PC is probably the available choices I'd recommend, PS probably goes with everything, and PC might go well with FB as it is also an American inspired building. However I think modulars sort of go well no matter the design, get one you like, it should probably look great next to your FB.

so if i have the fire brigade, which is the best available modular that looks good next to it and is a fun build?

Well the only available modulars now are Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant, and Pet Shop which may be hard to find. RIght now I have Fire Brigade between PC and PR. My only other thought would be to put it to the left of the PS perhaps if I didn't have any others.

105v895.jpg

Note- half the petshop (the house) didn't fit on this table, so its being moved shortly.

Edited by BirdOPrey5
Please keep embedded images to a maximum resolution of 1024x768 pixels.

I think the house next to the PS would go well with the FB, because they have a similar colour scheme. Throw the PC in there as well and you'll have a row of red buildings :-)

So is it too early to start thinking about what the next modular is going to be

Right on time, I should think. *If* it follows the pattern, I think we're due for a corner building. :wink::grin:

Edited by parksroad

Double VIP points and 5% discount at LEGO stores today. I'm caving in and finally buying the Palace Cinema. I'd like to "europanize" it a bit though, don't like that chinese-american kitsch factor. Getting rid of those silly ornaments for starters, and maybe modding the tower a bit. And of course a complete redesign of the hideous limo. Anyone got some good ideas for that?

Saw the new modular instore. Employee took it out of the case so we could have a look at all the floors and have a close look. Still seems a little small but the first modular i bought was the PR so that doesn't put me off. Will definitely be buying it asap.

Double VIP points and 5% discount at LEGO stores today. I'm caving in and finally buying the Palace Cinema. I'd like to "europanize" it a bit though, don't like that chinese-american kitsch factor. Getting rid of those silly ornaments for starters, and maybe modding the tower a bit. And of course a complete redesign of the hideous limo. Anyone got some good ideas for that?

You understand theaters in the USA don't look like that? There is only the one famous Chinese Theater in Los Angeles that looks anything like that- clearly what the Palace Cinema designers were going for-

25qfaer.jpg

You understand theaters in the USA don't look like that? There is only the one famous Chinese Theater in Los Angeles that looks anything like that- clearly what the Palace Cinema designers were going for-

Yes, I know they don't all look like that in the US, and I don't believe they do in China either. And that's why I don't like it. It's just Disneyworld corny. I want something more plain and realistic on my street. Something that fits in better with the other buildings. The base art deco part of the building is fine, I just want to tone down the chinese influences.

Thanks, that is a superb mod!

Edited by bjorn77

Wow, thanks for that, the original limo is ghastly, I was hoping someone would give me a good idea for modding it.

As for the building itself, this the best MOC that I've seen: https://www.flickr.c...57636726564656/

Another good one is: https://www.flickr.c...ith/8482847904/

I would copy the first one in a heartbeat, except that I would prefer that it remains a corner building. Actually, I'm still on the fence as to whether I should get the PC, because there are a few things that irk me about it:

1. The doors are nice, but they fall apart too easily when you open them.

15665543068_55784879dc_z.jpg

2. The crappy car that comes with it. I don't even know where I would put it. At least FB had a garage.

3. The unfinished spire and boring rooftop.

15852436402_596b3c09e3_z.jpg

4. The plain interior. The 100 pieces wasted by the car would have been better invested here.

15853093125_5f21b9e61c_z.jpg

5. Stickers. However I understand that printed parts were not practical in this case.

6. How hard would it be to at least have one more row of seats, or an extra seat in each row, or even some armrests?

15665570408_c81a402ff1_z.jpg

7. The projector and floors don't impress. Also don't see the need for stairs to the roof.

15853100885_0e1670093e_z.jpg

8. The tall "palace" sign looks crooked more often than not when I see PC on display, which makes me question its stability.

15667065209_843b7d0923_z.jpg

9. This awful blemish on the facade. Here's how someone else fixed it:

15852428382_4482d30cf6_z.jpg

^however the zig-zag at the bottom right still hasn't been flattened out

10. No lattice on the windows.

15667363897_845c71fea6.jpg

I'd like to hear people's opinions. Am I being too picky? Because right now the PC may end up being the first modular that I don't buy.

Edited by salsa

Saw the new modular instore. Employee took it out of the case so we could have a look at all the floors and have a close look. Still seems a little small but the first modular i bought was the PR so that doesn't put me off. Will definitely be buying it asap.

I wonder if it's still out for viewing after the VIP event...

Edit: called the local store and staff said the DO is only in Europe

Edited by DD840

I have had some issues too with the PC, the limo is a bit lame. Its as if it got stepped on, and flattened out..

I agree too, why have stairs to the roof, in a theater? There aren't enough seats in the theater, and it could of been done with a 3rd row and have it stadium seating, so the back row is higher than the front. I was going to make that change to see how it would look, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I added gold lattice panels to the arched windows on mine. I don't like holes like that!

As for the building itself, this the best MOC that I've seen: https://www.flickr.c...57636726564656/

Another good one is: https://www.flickr.c...ith/8482847904/

I would copy the first one in a heartbeat, except that I would prefer that it remains a corner building. Actually, I'm still on the fence as to whether I should get the PC, because there are a few things that irk me about it:

1. The doors are nice, but they fall apart too easily when you open them.

2. The crappy car that comes with it. I don't even know where I would put it. At least FB had a garage.

3. The unfinished spire and boring rooftop.

4. The plain interior. The 100 pieces wasted by the car would have been better invested here.

5. Stickers. However I understand that printed parts were not practical in this case.

6. How hard would it be to at lease have one more row of seats, or an extra seat in each row, or even some armrests?

7. The projector and floors don't impress. Also don't see the need for stairs to the roof.

8. The tall "palace" sign looks crooked more often than not when I see PC on display, which makes me question its stability.

9. This awful blemish on the facade. Here's how someone else fixed it:

^however the zig-zag at the bottom right still hasn't been flattened out

10. No lattice on the windows.

I'd like to hear people's opinions. Am I being too picky? Because right now the PC may end up being the first modular that I don't buy.

To answer some of your specific concerns-

1) Doors never fall apart for me.

2) Agreed- leave the pieces in the box if you can't use them inside somewhere

8) Sturdy for me, doesn't move at all

10) FIxed with $3 and a bricklink order.Latices are cheap- a few cents a piece. First class mail + a few latices, won't cost much.

Everything else I agree- but they are easy enough to fix with your own pieces- that is, more details inside and more detail on the roof.

When I ordered from S@H I just added 6 of the pearl gold window lattices to my cart for less than a dollar (6 x $0.15), since I already knew I wanted them.

I love the PC. The building grand-looking, especially with the corner outward I don't mind the interior since mine is just on display. Have thought about modding the tower. But I agree with BirdofPrey5 that the "PALACE" sign and doors are totally sturdy enough for general moving-around; I've never had to reassemble either.

Edited by parksroad