The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I have been looking around on BrickLink for a lot of the dark orange bricks that are used in the Town Hall, and a lot of what is out there must of come from parted out TH sets...lol, maybe more of them go to that purpose than for actual building of the sets.

I have to say, I hardly ever open up and play with my TH, not sure why, its got a lot of dead space inside, being a lot of balcony and open air...

Is the town hall as bad as the sales reflect.

Thanks for replying

Town Hall is a very good set. But it is a slightly differing style from some of the others. It is huge, but since half of it is a three story atrium it can feel a little empty. It's a fairly straightforward build that doesn't have as many little complex mini builds as some of the others. It has some really great high points. The front a trance is wonderful. The trick used for the skylight is fantastic. And There is a nice little story going on with the Minifigs. Plus it is the best if not the only source of all those delicious Dark Orange bricks. It is not a set to be avoided. But there are a few I would get before it.

I have been looking around on BrickLink for a lot of the dark orange bricks that are used in the Town Hall, and a lot of what is out there must of come from parted out TH sets...lol, maybe more of them go to that purpose than for actual building of the sets.

I have to say, I hardly ever open up and play with my TH, not sure why, its got a lot of dead space inside, being a lot of balcony and open air...

For some of those Dark Orange parts All of them come from parted out Town Halls. Some, like the 1x2 profile bricks have only come in that color in that set.

If you were starting out collecting modulars again, of the available sets including FB, which order would you purchase in. I have just brought ge.

Thanks.

Buy the FB first. It's price is still pretty good but will only go higher as time goes by. Then Town Hall, then Pet Shop. You might want to think about the Monsters Fighters Haunted House too (It's a beautiful building and the last of the Monster Fighters line).

You still have a couple of years to worry about The Palace Cinema and The Parisan Restaurant.

Thanks for the list, I am looking at FB on bricklink at the moment.

If it's a January date for the new modular release when will we know what it will be?....

Thanks for the list, I am looking at FB on bricklink at the moment.

If it's a January date for the new modular release when will we know what it will be?....

I'd assume mid to late summer, such as with the PR.

Edited by Overcold

Hello everyone! Can someone please show me a picture of PR next to GE? I intend to get GE over PS but I doubt that the different architecture styles will make them look weird together. Thank you!

if you want you can download the LDD files, gives a good idea of how they look together and that way you can place them to your liking, that's what I did before I decided to order GE to go with my PR. There is a thread on Eurobricks with lots of sets made in LDD. Sadly my PR is currently on another continent than my GE so I can't take a picture of the two together, but I believe the closeness in color makes the two creations complimentary, and also that GE's wall makes a nice surface to cover the gap of the PR terrace. I intend to add greenery on the GE wall sort of like in the back of the PR, I believe it would make a nice effect

If that means a tip of the cap to the classic Sherlock Holmes or a hard boiled detective, that will be very welcome. Otherwise, I have no clue what it would mean.

Someone on Brickset Forums says that he heard the next modular will be a detective building, and the info came from a LEGO employee. But, as he says, this rumor should be taken as a grain of salt.

I'm always optimistic with rumors, and this would make such a cool modular!

Given the 30's to 50's vibe they normally seem to go for with Modulars I would think less Sherlock Holmes and more Sam Spade. Something along the lines of an Art Deco office building? A second floor walk up office over something like a Laundry or similar small shop? Maybe a period sedan to go with it? Something with a bit of a Noir'ish feel to it.

A detective's office seems like something to be incorporated as a 3rd story office as part of a pair of 16-wide buildings, as opposed to something to base a whole modular around. .

A detective's office seems like something to be incorporated as a 3rd story office as part of a pair of 16-wide buildings, as opposed to something to base a whole modular around. .

That's what I am hoping, if this is true? After all the pet shop was just 1 half of the ground floor. And we need another pair of 16x32's

Given the 30's to 50's vibe they normally seem to go for with Modulars I would think less Sherlock Holmes and more Sam Spade. Something along the lines of an Art Deco office building? A second floor walk up office over something like a Laundry or similar small shop? Maybe a period sedan to go with it? Something with a bit of a Noir'ish feel to it.

I'm thinking that would be exactly the genre/style TLG would use for such a building. Film Noir with Art Deco architecture. As I'm building a police modular right now it would be a bugger but a happy one to own another modular. I like the idea of a laundromat on the first floor with the detectives office upstairs. In fact this would be how TLG incorporates a story into the set. Maybe we would even get a new hat piece for the 'dame' in distress. :)

Edited by Wodanis

I'm calling Lawyer's office on the second floor, now what do we envision for the other half of the set?

If they don't do this, I may have to MOC this pair of buildings myself:

Roof

Private Detective's Office

Lawyer's office

Laundry

Roof w/ pigeon coop

Loft

Apartment

Hardware store

:sweet:

Edited by rollermonkey

I'm calling Lawyer's office on the second floor, now what do we envision for the other half of the set?

The shady lawyer who is framed for a crime and the detective next door who has to try to find evidence to prove his innocence? :laugh:

Could it be a police station ? :wink:

Yes? :wink:

Edited by Wodanis

When I was thinking of the early 20th century and ideas for modulars, I kept thinking of feel-good Norman Rockwell-esk settings. But with the idea of a detective, now I can imagine the less wholesome settings of the private dick mysteries and mob stories. It would be so cool if the narrative is some sort of mystery and clues to solving it are found throughout the build. I kind of doubt LEGO will try for a murder mystery, but a skeleton behind the wall may be acceptable. And I'm sure some people will turn it into a Bioshock Infinite MOC.

Would this " Detective" modular break the predicted government building? Or are we getting a Police/Detective/Precinct type modular?

Most film noir gumshoes were PIs, would love that type of Modular!

I've reached the point where I'm pretty happy with whatever Lego decides to come up with. The rumors of the detective building sound cool. I think just a regular police modular may feel a little bit boring. The story telling elements are what makes some of the modulars unique.

I can imagine a detective's office in a Philip Marlowe-style, but not a whole building. Maybe above a chinese restaurant where the smell of fish is so heavy you can hang an axe on it? :classic:

I think Dirk Gently's detective agency would be make a great modular, complete with the couch stuck in the stairs. But I really would like a nice police station to go with the fire brigade.

Perhaps the detective's office would be two rooms. One would be the office itself, and the other would contain the receptionist, after all you don't just walk into the detective's office unannounced. It seems like every old style movie or show with a private eye has a receptionist.

I like the idea of having other nonrelated parts to the building such as apartments or perhaps another business.

To be honest, I really wouldn't want to see a police station if it is going to be something like Town Hall.

I would want a police station, even if only to complement the fire house.