Sign in to follow this  
weltall1028

[MOC] Nintendo Entertainment System

I've always wanted to make this classic console out of Lego, finally got around to it this past week.

9213271220_3bf9b6dafe_c.jpg

Lego NES by weltall1028, on Flickr

It's very close to the real thing in size. The front has a power light, power and reset buttons, opening cartridge slot, and 2 controller ports.

9213270038_cfc0b0ba78_c.jpg

The back has the power input (Technic brick with a harpoon gun inside), channel 3/4 switch, and the RF out (chrome 1x1 cone with a 1x1 stud with hole).

9213268814_51d58d1464_c.jpg

Real NES carts fit into the cartridge slot.

9213268108_757eb93f21_c.jpg

When pushed down all the way, the power light comes on.

9210485349_4a602e4dd5_c.jpg

Had some extra room on the inside, so I decided to add a random lightsaber duel. :classic:

9213263064_fe22cdd91d_c.jpg

The buttons have a rubber band behind them pushing out, and another rubber band going through them which pulls them inward. This enables the buttons to spring back into place.

9213264280_c3ff9c9c75_c.jpg

The cartridge slot uses a hydraulic liftarm.

You can view the entire photoset here.

You can view a video of the MOC

Very nicely done, looks very authentic. Too bad the cartridge can't spring back out, but kudos for making it load and turn on the light :sweet:

Now this is some clever MOCing......AWESOME brick-built classic video game machine 'weltall1028' plus cool little battle between Jedi and Sith......Brick On Game On 'weltall1028' ! :grin:

This is really well done! I love the attention to details like the rubber bands allowing the buttons to spring back into place. Any plans to make a controller as well?

This brings me right back to some good ol' memories. Makes me want to blow in the game and get playing! I'm impressed with the light and buttons. Nicely done!

Very nicely done, looks very authentic. Too bad the cartridge can't spring back out, but kudos for making it load and turn on the light :sweet:

Yeah, I don't have a lot of experience with Technic, so the liftarm ended up being the best option.

This is really well done! I love the attention to details like the rubber bands allowing the buttons to spring back into place. Any plans to make a controller as well?

I might make a "wireless" one. I've seen the excellent one made by "Davey", and wouldn't want to rip off his cord technique.

Very clever. I've seen NES MOCs before, but this is brilliant. I love the fact it actually "works."

Keep up the great work!

This reminds me of the first time I saw Lego and Star Wars together - the combination of two classic, retro-cool cultural icons mashed together. Brilliant! :)

Well that is really cool. Very inventive with the functioning parts, I am very impressed.

Amazing MOC! Not only is it extremely accurate- but it makes me want to dust off my old NES! Probably the best LEGO NES MOC I've seen. :thumbup:

Very good! It wasn't long ago that I myself felt inspired to MOC the NES, but I started with the controller and couldn't get it right at the right scale. Are you possibly going to follow this up with a controller, or a brick-built cartridge?

Amazing MOC! Not only is it extremely accurate- but it makes me want to dust off my old NES! Probably the best LEGO NES MOC I've seen. :thumbup:

Thanks! :classic:

Very good! It wasn't long ago that I myself felt inspired to MOC the NES, but I started with the controller and couldn't get it right at the right scale. Are you possibly going to follow this up with a controller, or a brick-built cartridge?

No plans for a cartridge, I may make a controller though.