Also. It is now, after i have built those 3 that i realise how very complex the modern technic sets are.

I have built those 3 in extremly short time. :( I remember building the 8860 took a looong time when i was a kid. I built it far too quickly to even start enjoying the build :(

my favorite set is 8880, i loved it so much i immediately bought 2 of them.

the 8110 didnt take so long to build;

i bought it to put under the christmas tree and i took about 7 hour to build it.

My favourite set of all time is 8868. It's the one set that remains built and I can't bring myself to tear apart. For me, it's got it all:

- Masses of functionality.

- Pneumatics (inc. compressor!).

- Challenging build.

- Great looks (I prefer the looks of this studded truck to the current crop of studless trucks, just looks more LEGO to me [not trolling or lookin' for a discussion on the merits of one vs t'other - just my opinion]).

I don't really have a second favourite set, I've not got enough sets really. I do have the test car from back in the day too, but despite all it's cutting edge-ness I'm still a bit underwhelmed by it. One thing that annoys me is the gear crunching in the 2 lower gears that I can't identify.

I wonder if any of these "flagship" sets that are being produced now will become people's favourites in 20 years time. Do they have the lasting appeal of the older sets? I can't help but think not, but I'd happily be proved wrong.

There were also far fewer sets back then, since many sets remained in production for 5-6 years and only 1-3 new ones were added each year. They really started to produce a lot of sets since the turn of the century. Speraking out of the top of my head... there were maybe 40-50 technic sets released between 1980 and 2003, but we got as many or more in the last 10 years alone.

With the increase of quantity, the quality somehow dropped.

But not always. There'll always be gems that will keep collectors busy.

Here are my favorite studded sets - in the following sequence:

*8868: Best set ever (studless counted too), under all criterias, period.

*8880: The alpha and the omega of supercars, period.

*8479: So much fun - 3 out of 4 models are pure ingenious, fun to build, fun to play.

*8485: very unique. very interesting builds - best usage of the flex system - just build the T-Rex with my son - simply awesome model, even today.

*8480: very unique and first usage of a gearbox as functions selector - Top B-Model.

8862: see postings above

8459: IMHO best front loader

*8431: IMHO best mobile crane, at least related to the parts count - the only one with driven turntable

8856: Best Heli - despite the also very good 9396 - very clever and interesting build

8094: Almost as good as the 8485

8854: a bunch of functions in a small package - Good B-model

*8848: see postings above - ingenius front bucket linkage and very cute design

8082: Again a Good universal set with some very nifty mechanisms with micromotor...the bobcat is awesome

8858: best suspension, cuteness and cute B-Model

8846: best small set ever - full of functions

*856: Awesome and ingenious linkage for bucket movement

*851: simply a cute tractor, for the time being very well designed and recognizeable as Ferguson

All of them are IMHO must haves - at least from a collectors perspective but actually also concerning other criterias...

* set with a * belongs also to my favorites when studless sets are included

Remark: No, i'm not a only studded fan, i like studless sets too ;-)

Edited by Kumbbl

What i find interesting is, that there's been no universal sets in the past 20 years... i find this lack of universal sets greatly disturbing. Loved those.

8020, 8030, 8040, 8050...

Also, time for another idea book.

What i find interesting is, that there's been no universal sets in the past 20 years... i find this lack of universal sets greatly disturbing. Loved those.

8020, 8030, 8040, 8050...

Couldn't agree more... the best was IMHO the 8082 (i forgot it in my list above) followed by the 8090 - but the 8094, 8485 and also 8479 were IMO universal sets... these universal sets ... nothing stimulates creativity of children more than a universal set...

BTW: same lack in lego systems world - well, there are these 3in1 creator sets but much much better were sets like the 49(!)in1 roboter set 4099 or the creatures 8in1 set 4894 or the prehistoric animals 8in1 set 4892: my son plays with them for hours and often he builds awesome own models with these parts assortment (for all here who have children with age 4 to 6: i can really recommend these mentioned out of production sets!) - well slightly OT here but what i want to say: universal sets are great not only in the technic theme...

Also, time for another idea book.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: many models of 8888 are still marvels... astonishing what was possible with such limited parts as during this time period... the blue cute excavator and the programmable crane were ansd are my favorites - could be listed in my list of studded favorite models above... build the programmable crane during christmas with my son... very cool and inovative...

a new book with ideas for studless buildings would be very appreciated...

But not always. There'll always be gems that will keep collectors busy.

of course... and what history of technic teaches us: this will never stop...

Edited by Kumbbl

These 8848, 8859 and 8860 are great. I can remember it took a long time before I got a copy of the 8859. The other ones I had already. In '95 I bought a big lot of Technic which also contained the 8859, even with the box!

I really like the 80s sets. I tried to collect most of them. It was always fun building and they inspire me a lot in that days, just like the idea books (8888/8889 especially). During the second half of the 90s the Technic sets really went down, didn't had my interest at all. Apart from a few sets, like the crane and wheel loader.

By far my favorites indeed are the 8848, 8859 and 8860 but I also like the 8862 and 8868. I think all my favorites are from my childhood and then I experienced the sets different than I'm doing nowadays.

I think 8043 is my favourite so far due to how complex the build is and the overall functionality. The kids have also officially declared it as the best Technic set ever, so that's me convinced.....

I also really enjoyed building 42009 with my son, as well as the Unimog he received for his birthday.

My favourites would be...

The current release 42025 - Cargo plane as they haven't released one on this scale before and the functions are good

9396 - as I'm into aviation and it was fun to mod

8258 - as it was quite technical plus you got an xl motor & switch

8043 - due to complex building

8110 - due to complex building and a range of functions on the model.

There are many good sets, but I would have to single out one set, it would be 8448. It was the only set which I wished even over my "dark ages". Its still good lčooking, its modular, it has 4 vesions and still the best wheels and tires.

I am really sad that lego doesn't make better wheels, like the 8448 ones. The ones we have today have such small rims, its so difficult to cram any suspension stuff into this tiny space.

But if they decide to make new ones, please do the the size of the unimog wheels (overall diameter) and with a rim design that is more universal and doesn't become dated so fast. Also, please more space inside the rim, like they had on the 8448 rim.

My all time favorite is the 8868, mainly because that is the one from my childhood (and the pneumatic with the compressor is just cool :)).

Furthermore i really enjoyed building 8043 which is the favorit from the non-studded set, altough i didn't build 8110 yet.

What is your favorite lego set of all time through the 40 years of lego technic sets

My personal favorite from experience I think is the 42000 formula one car

Tell me your thoughts

Aventador

Can't pick just one. I'll have to name both 8043 and 8455. The functions and realism (to me) are second to none. Everything else seems 'toyish' compared to these two. They're also the first two sets that made 'full use' of both the LAs and pneumatics.

8043-1.png8455-1.png

Edited by DrJB

4 hours ago, DrJB said:

Can't pick just one. I'll have to name both 8043 and 8043.

8043 was indeed a great set, but I'm not sure that's what you meant...:laugh:

If I really had to pick one I think it would be 8480. Partly this is nostalgia (it ended my dark age). But also I love the way form and function combine so flawlessly...

8868 no doubt on that - ~900 parts and looks how many functions it had ? Still probably beats the current sets on the play-ability.

I think I'd go for 8880. Bought it as a kid from my own well-earned money. Spent evenings building it and was totally impressed by all the reallife functions. It got me hooked on technic for life. 

My favorites were 8880 and 8448. I was adult when they came out and never bought them because I was raising a family. I did find 8448 for a reasonable price about 5 years ago so I bought it. My kids were grown and gone by then So, that set restarted my LEGO habit. Does anyone know of a studless version of 8880 with building instructions? Maybe that will have to be my next project. I do own 8043, 8455, 8466, 9398, & 42056. They are all great sets too! But I especially like Supercars.

1 hour ago, 1963maniac said:

My favorites were 8880 and 8448. I was adult when they came out and never bought them because I was raising a family. I did find 8448 for a reasonable price about 5 years ago so I bought it. My kids were grown and gone by then So, that set restarted my LEGO habit. Does anyone know of a studless version of 8880 with building instructions? Maybe that will have to be my next project. I do own 8043, 8455, 8466, 9398, & 42056. They are all great sets too! But I especially like Supercars.

i don't own so many sets so i don't have a perfect favorite 

i own 2 9394 jets, a 42000 f1, and a 24 hours racecar (42039)

p.s. many great favorite set picks

Edited by Aventador2004

SILVER CHAMPION from the transition era.  It has many techniques for connecting beams to bricks. wheel hubs built from different parts not just a special piece.

8043 for its complexity vs. it's size.  It can be held in your hand and Some newer sets may have more functions but the over all size of them makes them hard to play and display.

Steve

@Aventador2004 Welcome to EB! When creating some general type of topic/questions like this one, it is good idea to try to search already existing topics. I have merge your topic with already existing one. Have fun!