How Many 41999 Crawler Sets Will You Buy? What Will You Do With Them?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting a FREE 41999 set from The Lego Group, because you were among the Top 100 Vote-getters in the Lego Technic "You Design It, We Make It" competition?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. IF YOU ARE getting a free 41999 set from The Lego Group, are you going to purchase one or more additional 41999 sets?

• NOT APPLICABLE; I'm not getting a free set. [Move on to the next question]
    • Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
  3. 3. How many 41999 sets do you intend to PURCHASE, once they are available? Note that you must have available MONEY on hand to purchase them.

• NONE (either because I'm getting one free or because I'm not interested in this set).
    • 11 or more
  4. 4. In your opinion, what is the MAXIMUM number of 41999 sets that SHOULD BE sold by Shop.Lego.com to one household, to ensure availability to the maximum number of Lego Technic fans?

• 11 or more; let the "free market" determine who gets them.
  5. 5. How quickly do you think the 20,000 Limited Edition sets will be "sold out", once they are available on Shop.Lego.com?

• Within a few hours
    • Within 1/2 day
    • Within 1 day
    • WIthin 2 days
    • Within 1/2 week
    • Within 1 week
    • Within 2 weeks
    • Within 3 weeks
    • Within 4 weeks
    • 1-2 months
    • More than 2 months
  6. 6. Are you concerned that you will not have an adequate opportunity to purchase the 41999 set BECAUSE THEY MIGHT BE SOLD OUT QUICKLY?

• Yes
    • No
  7. 7. Are you concerned that you will not have an adequate opportunity to purchase the 41999 set BECAUSE RESELLERS WILL BUY TOO MANY AND JUST SELL THEM FOR A PROFIT ON eBay, Bricklink, or other sites?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Are you concerned that you will not have an adequate opportunity to purchase the 41999 set BECAUSE SHOP.LEGO.COM IS NOT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY?

• Yes
    • No
  9. 9. Why are you wanting to buy the 41999 4x4 Crawler set? Click on one or more answers for your PRIMARY reason(s):

• NOT APPLICABLE -- I'm not going to buy this set (either because I'm getting one free, or because I'm not interested in this set).
    • Because it's a good value for the money
    • Because it's a Limited Edition set
    • Because it contains rare DARK BLUE Lego Technic parts
    • Because it contains METALLIC SILVER Lego Technic parts
    • Because it has the new, 6-hole Lego Technic wheels with white rims
    • Because it has the new, curved Lego Technic Panel having multiple pin holes
    • Because I can sell it later for a profit
    • Because of the cool box design
  10. 10. Will you actually BUILD your 41999 set?

• NOT APPLICABLE -- I'm not getting this set
    • No -- I want to keep it in a "Mint In Sealed Box" (MISB) condition and keep it for myself
    • No, I want to resell it to others
    • Yes

I think they produce as many as they need before the set is discontinued.

It's limited to 20.000, as I've read.

It's limited to 20.000, as I've read.

Hi

this was the answer how many copies out for normal sets. The question was comming up because if a normal set, lets say the Unimog, is produced right now only 40.000 times, 20.000 is then notbthat exclusive as we think.

But nobody knows how many copies are out for normal sets, except those persons who are not alowed to tell us ;)

I guess normal sets are sold 100k to 1m, so 20k is very rare.

Dino

I'll be buying just one. Any more and it's depriving someone else of the chance to buy this awesome set at a relatively affordable price.

Most, but by no means all, of those buying more than one set are doing so to sell on at an exorbitant price to line their own pockets. Whilst this isn't against anyone's rules, is it right? I'll leave others to decide that.

I'll definitely be buying one, if I can save fast enough. I'll build it, but I'll take out the PF stuff as I see this more as a display model. The more L-motors and servos the merrier, I say!

I havn't completely decided yet, but probably will get one just because I cant change my mind later if I don't.

I want one. Maybe I'll buy 2, one for me and one for a good friend and AFOL. Not buying this for resale, I never do that.

Buy LEGO -> build A model -> play/tinker -> build B model -> play/tinker -> decide if A or B model is nicer -> put it on shelf and admire it. That's what I do with all my Technic lego :D

I want one, oh yes I do :tongue:

But If I get the chance to buy two, I will.

The second one would be for resale. Thus I can make some money to buy more Technic :grin:

Edited by bord4kop

I think this set is interesting for those who doesnt buy crawler yet, but I think this set overall will have long trip to sold out.High price, only sah exclusivity and high number of sets are main reason for thinking of these.

Also Im curious in one thing.Some great MOCs on cuusoo have about 5000 votes for long time and they are not considered to sets because it needs 10000 votes.But this regular mocs with only about 1500 votes voted mainly because of community and not by possible buyers is considered to have 20000 number of copies.Nonsense but for me, no offence.

Just to help all of you who want to get this set, I will not purchase any, none! Someone else can purchase my set!

Andy D

I'll be trying to order one on the 1st August, but I'm not sure it's going to sell as quickly as some might think,

OK, limited sets like the train Sante Fe, limited initially to 10,000 units, was incredibly hard to get, Mr Gold, limited to 5,000 units, almost impossible to get, but with a high price tag and technic sets being less desirable to the majority of Lego collectors, at £150 it's going to be a Christmas or Birthday set for most kids, I think we will be safe.

I think the resellers who will profit most from this limited set are the ones that aquire unique licence plate numbers, e.g. 001 (although this is likely to be in the lego vault) 10,000, 20,000, etc.

Can you see the personal number of the set while it's still sealed?

I assume you only see your number when you open it.

I voted earlier for not getting the set but then i made the mistake of reading rm8:s review and now i want it. What made me change my mind was the fact that i have been thinking about getting the original crawler or maybe at least the loose motors when available. Then i read that the Boss will cost as much as the first crawler and not i lot more that i had thought i would and now i think i want it. Sure i want the crane as well but i can wait with that a few months if need be.

As for the crawler selling out it does worry me since i don't know if i will afford it when it's first released yet i voted for it to sell out in 1-2 months just because of the high price. I doubt it will be in a week. Also i think that one per household with the possible exception for rm8 should be the rule because i hope that whoever buys this will at least use the parts if only in mocs or for displaying the model not just letting the whole set sit unbuilt. Me i'll probably keep the model built and then just borrow the electric stuff for mocs.

Since I already have the original Crawler set I'm not that interested in getting the LE version. It's not different enough from the original to warrant buying again.

Plus, since Lego posted all the other different competition designs online it's fairly easy to see what can be done with the original chassis. I've already built two, I'm on my third body version now (that I have parts for).

A good idea might have been to release the body on its own as its own set, to be compatible with the 9398 chassis.

A good idea might have been to release the body on its own as its own set, to be compatible with the 9398 chassis.

That would require buying the 9398 anyway, to have its chassis to put the LE body on. But it would be cheaper than buying both sets as they are though.

You don't buy a whole new excavator just for one different bucket :laugh:

Edited by Error404

Since I already have the original Crawler set I'm not that interested in getting the LE version. It's not different enough from the original to warrant buying again.

Plus, since Lego posted all the other different competition designs online it's fairly easy to see what can be done with the original chassis. I've already built two, I'm on my third body version now (that I have parts for).

The cheapest way to build it - build it in black;)

I have asked Lego Support what is their mechanism to prevent retailers from buying sets in bulk - and that was the reply:

I'd like to answer your query to the best of my knowledge. Everybody is allowed to place orders online at shop.lego.com. However, we do have a team of experts that manually browse online orders and if something looks suspicious (as if there were more sets being purchased than for a 'personal use') they will block the order.

There is a bit about that in our 'Terms and Conditions' on http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Terms-And-Conditions :

" Retailers/businesses

These Conditions only apply to consumers and do not apply to retailers or business owners/companies. LEGO defines retailers or business owners/companies as those who place orders where the items/products cannot be expected to be ordered for personal use. In these circumstances LEGO can cancel the order without being liable in any way."

Edited by peter_m

Asked for it for Christmas. Told wife it was a limited run. If she gets it great if not oh well. Will find out in 5 months.

Just the 1 for me, and I'm sure I'll kick myself in years to come for not buying 2 and putting 1 aside, but I also have this issue where I cannot bring myself to sell my Lego sets. Only buy more :-)

For an item this limited, it should be 1 per person. Even though we all know life is not fair and we live in a very opportunistic capitalistic society, if a company has the power to be fair, I think they should take the opportunity to do that. Even if LEGO limit every one to purchase 1, they would still sell out the stock fairly quickly and make back the revenue they projected based on the MSRP price. But that's just my opinion. If you are able to purchase more than 1 for investment, more power to you. As for myself, I will be buying one tonight from the US S@H, build it and display it at home. I'm the type of LEGO fan that will build the model A and display it and admire it.

I won't be getting it because Lego in their wisdom haven't made it available to Australians. It has been the 1st of August here for 7 hours and it's not on s@h for Aussies.

Just the 1 for me, and I'm sure I'll kick myself in years to come for not buying 2 and putting 1 aside, but I also have this issue where I cannot bring myself to sell my Lego sets. Only buy more :-)

Agreed.