LEGO Historian

Digging thru the history about LEGO...

Here's another Space System mystery.... this time it was a mystery why this set was never actually released! :sceptic:

The 1526 set.....

img_1979.jpg

My LEGO Collectors Guide chapter on Sets/Parts never released is littered with dozens of sets that were designed and prototyped... but never actually released to the public....

Why don't you just ask the designer, Gary? :wink:

http://tveskov.com/

Those sets looks crappy anyway. Allthough I'm a huge CS nut (I got at least 150 sets), I've never bothered to hunt them down and would have no problem building several copies of each of them

But I'd kill to get a numbered and boxed version of this :

bjarne_set17.jpg

Cheers,

Ole

Thanks Gary!

I can't say from personal experience, as I never owned the 1968 set, but it does seem to be a bit more common up here in Canada.

Speaking of Canada, I have vague recollections of a Lego Space set being sold at a fast food chain up here... I want to say it was Dixie Lee, a fried chicken place (similar to KFC), but it might have been KFC or McDonalds. I was pretty young, hard to say if any of this is accurate, but I was wondering if anyone has any info on that?

Why don't you just ask the designer, Gary? :wink:http://tveskov.com/ Those sets looks crappy anyway. Allthough I'm a huge CS nut (I got at least 150 sets), I've never bothered to hunt them down and would have no problem building several copies of each of them But I'd kill to get a numbered and boxed version of this : bjarne_set17.jpg Cheers, Ole

Oh, I don't know about that. The lines on the 1968 are quite unique and pleasing, imo anyway. I've never seen that 1526 set, but I think it's pretty cool too. A UAV launcher of some sort? Count me in... In fact, I might have enough spare bricks to build one myself...

That pic you posted looks familiar... what is it?

McDonald's did have LEGO, at least twice that I can remember. Here's a quick list of known promo: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_promotional_sets Dixie doesn't come up.

I could swear I was at a fast restaurant and they had that iconic yellow moonscape on the menus or something... huh.

While looking up that restaurant, I was surprised to see that locations still exist! Yum. :)

It's the model that TLG thought was so good they hired the guy (teenager actually!) who build it. He later gave us Blacktron/Futuron and a lot of other classic sets : http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/02/11/interview-bjarne-p-t.html

Right, that's where I saw it!

I'd love to see a breakdown or instructions for that. Pretty cool.

Canada was notorious for making some very unusual and unique LEGO items... especially during the 1973-85 era when Samsonite of Canada (a Beatrice Corp. subsidiary) was still producing LEGO sets in Bilingual (English/French) boxes and literature. This was after the USA LEGO license reverted back to TLG in 1972.

One of the most interesting items was this oldest LEGO Space poster.... only produced in Canada in 1979...

12646315265_fa066b5e9b_b.jpg

And also (unique to Canada) 0012, 0013, 0014 and 0015 Classic Space Minifig Packs....

12645150165_0f40bcd30a_o.jpg

12645141035_967d91b250_o.jpg

12645613564_c1e859e50a_o.jpg

12645224633_bd40d120ff_o.jpg

Very interesting packs!! :classic:

Hey Lego Historian. I found this topic while googeling one of the legos i have. As im a new one on this forum i cant send you a private message so ill just post it here. I found the VW 1306 service set with the Service sign instead of Lego, so it seems to be Danish,Norwegian or Swedish. Have original box and only one piece missing (traffic sign). Was wondering is it worth anything? As i dont collect legos myself, would appreciate the help.

Hey Lego Historian. I found this topic while googeling one of the legos i have. As im a new one on this forum i cant send you a private message so ill just post it here. I found the VW 1306 service set with the Service sign instead of Lego, so it seems to be Danish,Norwegian or Swedish. Have original box and only one piece missing (traffic sign). Was wondering is it worth anything? As i dont collect legos myself, would appreciate the help.

Sorry to take... FOREVER... to get back here... been real busy working on the next version of my LEGO Collectors Guide download.... I keep getting more and more and more info from people... 7 new chapters (in addition to the 73 already in it).

Anyway... the 1306 (VW Repair Set) was sold in Denmark (with a "VW GARAGE" printed 1x8 brick), in Norway (with a "VW GARASJE" 1x8 printed brick, and in Sweden (with a "VW SERVICE" printed 1x8 brick).

Are you sure it is a 1306 set, and not a 306 set? Because the 306 set (sold in all of Europe starting in 1958) came with "VW LEGO" on the box.

Here is an early Norwegian 1306....

10948959014_8d9bcd661c_o.jpg

Here is an early Danish 1306....

9937992033_a84b085c3b_o.jpg

Here is an early Swedish 1306 (right) and a 306 set... which replaced the 1306 in 1958, and was sold in all of Europe from 1958-60 (left)....

9907107163_6427380f2a_b.jpg

The 306 set always had VW LEGO on the box top... but the bricks inside were different... by country. So this box top is just generic.

TLG decided after introducing the 1306 in Denmark, Norway and Sweden in local boxes that this was getting out of hand... so they switched to a common box top that was used throughout all of Europe that had VW LEGO on the box, but local language bricks inside. VW SERVICE and VW GARAGE are the most commonly used, but there were also others.

Anyway if you have a 1306 you have a very valuable set... if you just have a 306... you still have a very valuable set.

With inserts and the two 1:87 VW Beetles... you could command up to $500 or more, depending on condition of the box, inserts and parts.

Sorry to take so long!

Ummmmm no..... TLG started using 4 digit set numbers with the introduction of the Town Plan system in 1955, and then just in Denmark, Norway, Sweden (mostly).

The basic sets remained at 3 digit set number (700/1, 700/2, 700/3, 700/3A, 700/4, 700/5, 700/6).... but the model sets and spare parts packs had a "1" as the leading 4th digit. In the rest of Europe starting with Germany coming online in 1956, there were only 3 digit set numbers, the "1" first digit was not used in the rest of Europe. Then in 1958 TLG changed the 4 digit numbers of Denmark/Norway/Sweden to match the 3 digit numbers of the rest of LEGO Europe.

Here is a very nice and colorful 1956 Danish LEGO Catalog (2 sided)... that shows the 4 digit set numbers....

14477618879_a767609063_b.jpg

14684154333_3287f54bfb_b.jpg

From 1958 until 1980 most all LEGO set numbers were 3 digits. However, there were two Educational sets that did have 4 digit numbers....

1) the 7100 USA/Canada Samsonite Wooden Box Educational Set introduced in 1963...

7100-1.jpg

2) the 7000 Canadian Samsonite Suitcase Set introduced in 1976 (and its' 7170 Refill Pack)....

7000-2.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Well going back to a post on page 2 of this long thread... my German collector friend Lothar just today finally found a rare set that I thought would exist... but had not yet come to light.

That was the 308/1308 Fire Station Set of 1957-62 with a German language brick on the box top.

A late 1957 German pricelist mentions that besides all the 3 digit LEGO sets (which all German sets had at that time)... that a pair of 4 digit set numbers show up on the pricelist.

One was a 1307 VW Showroom Set, which we found in a German language box top (VW VERKAUF). The other one listed was a 1308 Fire Station set that had not yet been found (would have FEUERWEHR on the box top). Well one finally has surfaced. Here are the known versions of the 308/1308 Fire Station Sets (so far)...

16405272419_99f1902633_b.jpg

The upper left is the newly discovered German FEUERWEHR 1308 Fire Station, the upper right is the Danish FALCK 1308 Fire Station.

The lower left is the regular (rest of Europe) 308 Fire Station, with LEGO (universal box) shown on the box, but the local language brick (BRANDWEER, POMPIERS, POMPIERI, FEUERWEHR, FALCK, BRANDSTATION, BRANNSTASJON) in the box. And the lower right is the later (1960-62) universal box.

Now the remaining mystery is this... is there a 1308 set for Norway with BRANNSTASJON on the box top, as well as a 1308 set for Sweden with BRANDSTATION on the box? Or, because FALCK... the emergency services company also operated in Norway, and for a short time (late 1950s and early 1960s) in southern Sweden... would they have sold just the 1308 box with FALCK on the box top... as they did in Denmark.....

Stay tuned! :wink:

P,S, Another set variation to add to my LEGO Collectors Guide! :sweet:

Edited by LEGO Historian

Well it looks like some more rare Norwegian sets are about to show up for the first time... such as the previous Fire Station set.... FALCK was only an emergency roadside services company in Norway called FALKEN... so there is likely a Norwegian box with the real name of their fire station... "BRANNSTASJON".

And this LEGO Garage Set 1236 was sold in Denmark and Norway.... however Norway doesn't use the word "GARAGE" like almost every other country in Europe... they use "GARASJE" (there is a 1306 VW GARASGE set with that printing on the box)....

Here's the way the Danish box looks.... so looking foward to seeing a similar box with "GARASJE" on the boxtop and on the brick inside!

16572554421_448c4d8e23_b.jpg

Now putting together the last few missing pieces of the LEGO puzzle... and then I will have it complete... for adding to my LEGO collectors guide!!! :sweet:

Edited by LEGO Historian

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I thought this would be the best place to post this.

I visited a toy museum in Denmark last month, hoping to see lots of LEGO. Unfortunately, this is all the LEGO they had:

lego_1950s.jpg

I think it's 306 or 1306 but with a second black car instead of a red one and with the parking sign replaced, or is it a different set altogether? The labelling in the museum just said it was LEGO from the 1950s.