Sign in to follow this  
DeanFS

MOC: Half Timber Artisan House with Staggered Roof

"Half Timber Artisan House," Tudor-style

An early post-dark ages MOC of mine, regular grey and brown parts abound because I was still working with a predominantly 1990s LEGO collection.

8978604640_f9b20900d0_z.jpg

Here you see three different ways to mount windows. The bay window at the top is mounted on jumpers to make it protrude (actually 8 jumpers that extend into the interior and a 2x8 plate extending 1/2 stud outward by virtue of being mounted on these jumpers). I intend to use a simpler version of this technique for a Tudor-style house rather than the above tan log bricks to achieve a flat daub.

The lower right windows are each mounted on a 1x4 dark blue plate that can easily be detached (i.e. if you press down on the owl, the window will pop off) as it is mounted to the bottom of the tall slope elements. 2 brown 1x2 jumper elements are used for the window awnings.

I was particularly happy with how the staggered roof / wall design turned out.

I would have liked to have fixed some things (such as the bent glass goblet >_<, the boring detail above & under the door, the chimney colors and the rather uninspired side of the roof (where the brown logs are)).

(see Wikipedia: Wattle and Daub for a nice rundown of the architectural material)

Rear of the house:

8977410861_f895a235eb_z.jpg

I could have worked a bit harder to make the color on the lower level more consisted; I was going for an aged stone wall made of different minerals. The thatching on the tip-top of the roof actually fits together perfectly, I just forgot to adjust one of the hinged roof plates for this picture.

I realize now that the dark blue would have been a better contrast for the top level; it would have looked like painted wood while the black plates could look like iron banding for the stone walls on the bottom.

Unfolded

8978602394_0b3d07b3e1_z.jpg

Interior (Side)

8977417439_781809e983_z.jpg

This is the "story" shot. A sickly child sits up in bed (i never finished the other 2 bedposts before this MOC had an "accident"). His father angrily cleans while mother drinks their stock away (can you tell that they are brewers from the wine barrel in the closet?). The barrel moves freely and the chest pops out if you lift it up. Yes, I know that the fire pit is a hazard being beside the closet even if the house is closed up. I actually didn't have a brown staircase at this time so I used black (thanks to Grand Emporium, I know a technique to make whatever color stairs I want anyways though). Each figure is held in place by stud(s). The upper right hand corner betrays my environment for these pictures.

Also note the hinged roof, completely open in this shot. That attic space could have been used...

Interior (Top)

8977410437_b32f3371ce_z.jpg

This is more of an expositional view to show how some of the effects are done. If I had been able to redo this MOC, I would have made the 2nd level floors detachable so that one could see how the first level floors look folded together in this way.

I would have fixed some of the easier problems with this MOC if it hadn't crashed to the floor some months ago! I've decided to disassemble the remaining parts to make something else, so I'm posting this one late. Also, I am a complete convert to the bluish greys and reddish brown; my newer MOCs only use the yellowing greys to contrast with the newer greys. Until they can make a pure grey that doesn't yellow, I will use the very pleasant bluish greys as a primary choice.

Half Timber House Set on Flickr

Quite a nice house, I love the windows setups on the upper floor :thumbup: And great deatil with mouse and cheese. Is that 2x2 round tile on the wall a PotC chart?

Greay work :thumbup: :thumbup: Very well detailed and builded :wink:

Good work. Welcome back from the darkages.

This has a very Medieval Market Village feel to it. Some of us MOCers ignore interiors too often, so good work including one here.

A few of the pictures are a touch bigger than the site guidelines allow, but since they are Flickr, I can fix them for you (and I will)

The topic title, though quite descriptive, seems a little long and strange. If you would like to change it, let me know!

Quite a nice house, I love the windows setups on the upper floor :thumbup: And great deatil with mouse and cheese. Is that 2x2 round tile on the wall a PotC chart?

Thanks, and yes, that is from the PotC set Captain's Cabin (actually, one of the first sets I got coming out of the dark ages, for those beautiful ship-printed bottles!).

Good work. Welcome back from the darkages.

This has a very Medieval Market Village feel to it. Some of us MOCers ignore interiors too often, so good work including one here.

Actually, that was the second set I built after leaving my dark ages - after my wife got me Lighthouse Island to reintroduce me to LEGO (I still think that is the best LEGO set I've seen to date).

If this MOC hadn't met an explosive end, I would have it sitting beside MMV, but now its just an opportunity to build a much better half-timber.

A few of the pictures are a touch bigger than the site guidelines allow, but since they are Flickr, I can fix them for you (and I will)

Sorry, I thought I chose the 800x600 size each time - can you let me know what the problems were?

The topic title, though quite descriptive, seems a little long and strange. If you would like to change it, let me know!

I wish I had noticed the truncation before I submitted the post! Can you change the title to "MOC: Half Timber Artisan House with Staggered Roof" ?

Thanks for fixing my post. :blush:

It looks like you were being responsible and went with the medium x 800 size which meant the other dimensions could still be in excess of 600. In this case the dimensions were (800 x 772). They weren't WAY over, the sizes but they are easy enough to fix on Flickr that I just went ahead with it.

For those who don't know, the sizes of each separate image on flickr end in a different underscore followed by letter combination before the .jpg.

"_c" is the x 800 dimension while I "_z" is the x 640 dimension. I simply changed the "_c" to "_z" and poof, they were all within the site guidelines.

No need to thank sincerely or otherwise for fixing images or post titles... it is why I have the regulator hat.

Well done! I like the overall look and the shop window is a nice detail :thumbup:

Superb interior as well and I like that you made the build hinge open :classic:

Awesome house. Really like the iterior as well as all those interesting ways of incorporating the windows!

Superb job with this MOC! It looks as if it was an actual LEGO set. It has many playability features. :thumbup: