Sign in to follow this  
Assamite

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 260 Idea Book 42-43

How do you rate this set?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• 5. Very good
    • 1. Extremely Poor

A little treat for those hankering for a new pirate set to whet their appetite. The design for the set comes from idea book 260 Page 42 & Page 43.

lego_fort_-_0.jpg

The fort itself is for the Soldier a nice little mid range design somewhere between the smaller Bastion and larger Fort Eldorado. The pieces used can all be found in those two sets by the way and are pretty common parts for a pirate fan anyway.

lego_fort_-_9.jpg

The fort is designed to be held by four mini figures, Admiral Broadside, a commodore and two troopers, a nice staff all in all and if available for purchase most people would be happy with the minifig count. Also it is very easy to swap torsos and flags to turn this into an Imperial Guards outpost.

lego_fort_-_6.jpg

The build was very satisfying the instructions being easy to follow. I was surprised at how good the final design came out, the palm accents the design quite well. A few nice touchs are included, a cannon ball shelf to aid in quick loading of the cannon, a soldier gunner with rammer and a small dock to tie up the boat at.

lego_fort_-_7.jpg

I would recommend anyone looking for a nostalgic walk down memory lane build this fort.

Final rating 5/5

Brickshelf Gallery

CM

THIS IS NOT A MOC

This is a set designed by The LEGO Group whose instructions can only be found in Ideas Book 260

First time I see this little fort. But what a pleasant surprise!

I never knew this existed. You could have made me believe this was a MOC.

Excellent review and 1000 thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I might follow your advice and build it myself.

Do you own this idea book or did you get the instructions from the internet?

I guess this will have to be moved to the Pirate LEGO MOCs forum if we follow the instructions of Mr. Phes.

Or maybe not because this is a "pictorial review"? This is an interesting one...

... any LEGO creation which hasn't been officially released by The LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC" so thats why it must go in the Pirate MOC forum.

I know Assamite in real life and he's been corresponding with me through the whole review process, afterall who do you think added the CG backgrounds? ;-)

As for my statement: Any set not officially released by The LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC" - technically this set was released by The LEGO Group in the 260 Ideas Book, so let me revise that statement to:

Any set not officially DESIGNED by he LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC"

Do you think that's a fair call?

I know Assamite in real life and he's been corresponding with me through the whole review process, afterall who do you think added the CG backgrounds? ;-)

As for my statement: Any set not officially released by The LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC" - technically this set was released by The LEGO Group in the 260 Ideas Book, so let me revise that statement to:

Any set not officially DESIGNED by he LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC"

Do you think that's a fair call?

Much better indeed Mr. Phes.

Now there is no more room for misunderstanding.

I already thought recognizing your work in the modified pictures.

Mr Bonaprate, exactly what do you mean by "I already thought recognizing your work in the modified pictures." Could you elaborate further?

This is very interesting. The model is very nice and really looks like it should have been an actual Lego set. Thanks for building it up and posting it! That backdrop is nice as well!

I have an Idea book that has two or three other pirate creations. I'll try to scan pictures or build those. There's one for Imperial Armada(Mister Phes ;-) ) and two or one other.

It's also nice to meet a friend of Mister Phes :capn: !

This is very interesting. The model is very nice and really looks like it should have been an actual Lego set. Thanks for building it up and posting it! That backdrop is nice as well!

I have an Idea book that has two or three other pirate creations. I'll try to scan pictures or build those. There's one for Imperial Armada(Mister Phes ;-) ) and two or one other.

It's also nice to meet a friend of Mister Phes :capn: !

No probs people.

The idea book scans can be found here Peeron Idea Books

Only 260 & 697 have pirate designs. 697 designs being much weaker.

Kudos to the Classic-Castle.com who gave me the idea. They also do pictorial reviews of the alternate models from the back of the boxes.

Hope you enjoyed it.

CM

Mr Bonaprate, exactly what do you mean by "I already thought recognizing your work in the modified pictures." Could you elaborate further?

Well, you have a certain "style" for making an avatar, add a background, the banners, the new website.

Compare it with the work of a painter. When you study a lot of Picasso's, you are able to recognize one when you see a new painting without explicitly being told who the creator was. You're very good at this and I like it a lot. Let's call it the Phes-style :-D

Ahhh... So you just meant...

"I thought I recognised your work in the modified pictures" - the way you phrased it confused me at first. But I know exactly what you're talking about - I'm starting my fourth year at Art School so I've seen a few Picasso's in recent times :-D

These idea books are very interesting... I bet this would make great official set with an own box. Also a very good review!

5/5 From me!

Have a nice day,

Mr Tiber

This "set" is getting a lot of 5 out of 5 ratings but I'm not really sure why that is. Could you lads elaborate why you've given it 5t?

I haven't voted yet, but I think I'm heading towards 3 for this one. I think it looks more like a prototype that could use some refinement.

I think it looks more like a prototype that could use some refinement.

Which TLC designed set isn't? ;-)

This is a rare set of the Pirates era that isn't a set yet looks like one. Completely in sync with the official sets. 5/5 because of that. Period ;-)

The backdrop could need some work, though... *duck*

I agree the background needs some work, however its only a set review so I'm not going to spend too much time into it - I've got more urgent Pirate LEGO matters to attend to. Like my MOC for example :-D Oh, and that Pirate Portal website...

Because its completely in sync with the original theme? So does this "synchronization" compensate for the sets flaws thus giving it a 5 out of 5 rating?

Because its completely in sync with the original theme? So does this "synchronization" compensate for the sets flaws thus giving it a 5 out of 5 rating?

Yes.

And the fact it doesn't have flaws (IMHO). Then again, I'm the casual Pirates fan, not a perfectionist.

well...i was confused whwn i saw a review of a MOC in pirate lego forum and not in MOC forum...u thougt it was a set wich was released only in USA...well...in any case is a good set i give it a 5...i think i prefer it to lagoon lock-up for example

And the fact it doesn't have flaws (IMHO). Then again, I'm the casual Pirates fan, not a perfectionist.

It

Well, Mr. Assamite, I browsed the idea book pages on peeron and thought it has some very nice, old-style LEGO layouts. And then I browsed ebay, found one, and bought it. All your fault ;-)

well...i was confused whwn i saw a review of a MOC in pirate lego forum and not in MOC forum...u thougt it was a set wich was released only in USA...well...in any case is a good set i give it a 5...i think i prefer it to lagoon lock-up for example

The set under review is not MOC as it was designed by The LEGO Group but the instructions can only be found in Ideas Book 260.

This is a rather nice "set". The color combination is easy on the eyes and the build while not complex is elegant in its own way. Were this for sale I might consider picking it up depending on the price.

5/5

I built this from the idea book back in the day... It is the only model I've ever built from the idea books and I've always had a soft spot for it. A very nicely designed piece.

God Bless,

Nathan

It is the only model I've ever built from the idea books and I've always had a soft spot for it.

8-o

You didn't build the (IMHO lovely) castle sets?!

I'm shocked... deeply...