Hello everyone! :grin:

I'm proud to show my latest MOC...

:devil:THE REAPER :devil:

8783169772_e538699fab_c.jpg

This model is based on Tim Cameron's "Showtime" and other similar Rock crawlers.

8776316337_3ac11a13e5_c.jpg8782903124_0dbb654fae_c.jpg

8776304961_84b913dfe3_c.jpg8782906210_3851fa07ff_c.jpg

8776309885_8b7966541d_c.jpg8776330999_2dbe551b36_c.jpg

The chassis utilizes NXT motors geared down 3:1, and one servo for steering the front wheels only. The NXT motors are connected using adapters that allow connection to regular PF elements.

This project started out as a "quick" experiment that soon got out of hand!!!

I enjoyed trying out ways of joining liftarms and seeing what shapes I could get out of them.

Things that I'm not too happy with are the shortness of the model, and now that I have found some better pics of Showtime I can see it should be 3-4 studs longer, and lower too.

The seats were far more leaned back, but due to the rear motor needing more clearance I had to pull them forward making the cab a bit cramped. LOL

As for performance, I was amazed, The Reaper will easily go up 45 degree plank of wood, that is quite smooth with no major tweaks.

Turning isn't the best, but that is to be expected with no diffs; and I tried to tune it to a nice balance of turning and NON wheel tearing. :tongue:

This crawler has no gear grinding at all, and I am very happy with the new type 2 8t. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: also I rigged the PF lights to the steering so it kind of flashes when steered!

Edit: The shocks were made from combining Unimog and old bike sets, just to keep it black.

Weight is 1.320 KG.

After I have made a video (prob next week, Wed) I will reuse and tweak this awesome chassis, and hopefully make something a little lower. :grin:

Please feel free to comment, and ask any question's. If you would like a particular pic please ask soonish as I have the lights set up hahaha.

Thanks for looking. :laugh:

Edited by Doc_Brown

Wow that is amazing! But where is the nxt unit?

:sweet: There are adapters for the NXT motors to fit to more regular PF connections. Dang should have mentioned that. Thanks!

one word man: BADASS

now stop playing with legos and shoot a video :laugh:

HAHAHA, Thanks mate!

I know I want to make a video baddd, but the cool rocks are far away....

well, just order them online !!! :grin:

LOL, I wish, but you just gave me an awesome idea! I will build a test track from chipboard with hills and stuff, and put some cheap sandpaper over it as grip. :grin:

Cool. It appears you have the hard springs from 8110 / 9398, but on black shocks, not yellow. Are these available like that or did you assemble them yourself?

Cool. It appears you have the hard springs from 8110 / 9398, but on black shocks, not yellow. Are these available like that or did you assemble them yourself?

Thanks, I assembled them myself. From different shocks, the black ends from some old bike sets. :grin:

8784237514_264856b69d_c.jpg8776319483_5dd1ee22f3_c.jpg

Looks really good and thanks to those NXT motors you only ahve few gears. One thing, maybe you could lower suspension a bit, seems rather too hight ATM.

Video please!

Cool! Am I correct when I assume that you could actually (to a certain deegree) "meet and climb" a vertical object with the front?

And are those the rims used on the unimog? If so, I would love to know where I can order some of those tyres! They look awesome

Looks really good and thanks to those NXT motors you only ahve few gears. One thing, maybe you could lower suspension a bit, seems rather too hight ATM.

Video please!

I will Zblj tomorrow! And thanks too.

Cool! Am I correct when I assume that you could actually (to a certain deegree) "meet and climb" a vertical object with the front?

And are those the rims used on the unimog? If so, I would love to know where I can order some of those tyres! They look awesome

Thanks, I just looked, and unfortunately it wont, cos of half a stud! When I lower it tomorrow, hopefully it will. :grin:

Yes they are the unimog rims, and I will find a link to those tires, I paid around $5 AUS which is pretty good!

Looks Good Doc! Looks like a rock bouncer... I am anticipating the video also and want to see the performance. I might have to try something like this since I do have a few of those NXT motors laying around. Just never got into messing with the NXT when I got the set as a present a few years ago. Now I have a reason to salvage it.

You should know by now there is no such thing as a "small project" :wink: . The truck looks great though, especially in black. I am really looking forward to the video.

tim

HAHAHA, Thanks mate!

I know I want to make a video baddd, but the cool rocks are far away....

Just go outside and put it on a bad soccer field! :grin:

Great job though!

I can't wait to see it tomorrow then! Thanks Doctor!

Cheers!

Here is the test video.

I had a lot of fun testing and it held up extremely well. I estimated the best angle it managed was about 51 degrees. I think it can do better with a more gripper surface.

Please sign in and Rate, Comment and Subscribe! I spent most of the day making this video, LOL. :tongue:

O.O

never seen anything like that....one of the most powerful crawlers i've ever seen

congratulatins dude!

O.O

never seen anything like that....one of the most powerful crawlers i've ever seen

congratulatins dude!

Cheers!!! :grin:

Here are some more pics, I have lowered the suspension by 1.5 studs and changed the top frame. Also made the front steering brace much smaller.

8789129505_d8daa44374_c.jpg8789127121_f267805785_c.jpg

It will now "meet and climb" a vertical object, as you will see in the video. :sweet:

Edited by Doc_Brown

Pretty sweet. I bought the same tires a few months ago and am happy with the grip, rock crusher XT 1.9. Glad you took the shock housings apart, the black looks good.

The performance looks awesome. Few trucks/cars would manage what you accomplished with yours, especially when climbing that board. I thought it was going to tip backwards for sure, but the weight distribution in this car is obviously perfect :wink: