xowainx

Review - 76002 Superman: Metropolis Showdown

Preamble

So, welcome to my second Eurobricks review, my first being 9525 - Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian Starfighter. The subject set is a bit smaller this time, but I hope you find this as useful. I'm pretty happy with the photo quality (one or two minor issues aside) and I hope you enjoy this. If you have any comments/queries/requests, please let me know in the thread and i'll do my best to accomodate them.

Review - 76002 - Superman: Metropolis Showdown

Name - Superman: Metropolis Showdown

Number - 76002

Year of Release - 2013

Parts - 119

Figures - 2

Prices - UKP 11.99, USD $12.99, CAD $15.99

Stop General Zod with Superman™!

General Zod is wreaking havoc in a downtown Metropolis Showdown against Superman™. Stop General Zod from trapping Superman under the collapsing antenna tower by blocking it with the cool yellow car. Battle as you take Superman up the tower, flip him through the air with the catapult function and swing him on the antenna. Includes 2 minifigures: Superman and General Zod.

• Includes 2 minifigures: Superman™ and General Zod

• Features antenna tower with a catapult, collapse function and a yellow car with easy-to-grab handles

• Also includes base with flip and explode functions and mast with antenna and dish

• Flip the car into the air with the catapult function!

• Collapse the antenna!

• Lift the car with easy-to-grab handles!

• Car measures over 1" (3,5cm) high, 4" (11cm) long and 2" (6cm) wide

• Antenna tower measures over 5" (15cm) high, 2" (7cm) wide and 2" (7cm) deep

I picked this set up as an impulse buy on my way home from work, along with 79100 and, err, 41017, to get the free 30167 polybag. The cashier in the Cardiff Lego Store was kind enough to let me have the polybag even though I was about 30p short of the qualifying price, so kudos to him. As it hadn't been reviewed on Eurobricks (or at least my searching skills couldn't turn it up), I decided to do a review of it for the masses. I haven't read much about the film yet, let alone seen it, so I can't tell you how "movie accurate" any of this is.. Hopefully a little more than the calamity of a set that 76008 was.

Starting with the box as ever..

7600201.jpg

We have an action packed photo of the set contents! A car flies through the air! Superman shoots lasers out of his eyes! General Zod carries a stanchion while flying! The movie version of Superman's logo is in the bottom right and in the top right a Lego Superman acts as the set's line identity.

7600202.jpg

And on the back we have more photos demonstrating the play features of the set, which as we'll see later involve flipping things around.

7600203.jpg

On the top the box we have a 1:1 photo of Superman. It's slightly cut off, but the set is just listed as 76002 - Superman on the left, rather than the full name.

7600204.jpg

Inside we have the standard for this size two plastic bags, some loose components and one instrct.. Wait a minute.. what's this?! TWO MANUALS!? Have I got a spare? There's no way they could possibly need two manuals for a set this small.. No wait, they do apparently.

7600205.jpg

..Luckily though, we only get one photo of that kid..

7600206.jpg

7600207.jpg

Part call-out spread over two pages in the second booklet. I don't think there's anything of note in here, and no printed parts (apart from the figures), so I can't do an "interesting parts" shot unfortunately. I'll note this a few times though, that at 119 parts for this set, that's considerably more than most others in this price bracket, and there is quite a selection of plates, slopes and bricks for alternate builds.

7600208.jpg

A shot of the first page of building instructions. They are pretty simple steps, progressing usually 2-4 components at a time, and there aren't any complex or confusing instructions along the way. You can also see the watermarked Superman in the top right, a classy touch.

Onto the figures..

7600209.jpg

Only two, Superman and his nemesis General Zod. While Superman appears in all three of this wave of sets, this General Zod is "exclusive" to set. Hold your horses though, as his head, torso, legs and hair all appear in the other two sets.. The only thing that is not exclusive about him, is the fact that he's not wearing his armour, helmet and cape.. Come on! Despite their non-exclusivity, they are nice figures though, and you could probably swap Zod's head and hair for another figure's to make him a non-descript Kryptonian accomplice if you wanted.

7600210.jpg

Both have back printing, with the same pattern in different colours, a nice touch. They also have alternate evil/possesed/laser eyes faces which just about tuck under their hair pieces, minus chin dimples..

Onto the build and instruction book one!

7600211.jpg

The only really interesting part of the build I thought it was necessary to call out was this, so you can see how the play features work, which is two of these simple paddle/toggle constructions.

7600212.jpg

..and so, here we have the City of Metropolis! Alas, as this set is not a £350, 4000 piece set of modular buildings, we only get a stanchion tower, with a few bits of communications equipment stuck to it. And what might be a see-saw or part of an assault course.

7600213.jpg

And so, we are already onto the second booklet, which has the instructions on how to build the car. If you've ever built a Lego car, using a Lego Car chassis piece (which I imagine anyone reading this has), then this isn't going to surprise you.

7600214.jpg

A few steps later.

7600215.jpg

And a few more.

7600216.jpg

Nearly there..

7600217.jpg

Done! The car is complete. It's a sporty little number, and aside from rolling wheels doesn't have any other play features. It's a nice size though, generally bigger than the vehicles in the City Polybag sets for instance. It's also pretty solid, which is well planned for the play features as we'll see in a bit.

7600218.jpg

First though, some alternate views of the car, starting with the side profile.

7600219.jpg

Head on.

7600220.jpg

And the rear, featuring brake lights and a double exhaust.

7600221.jpg

A view of the passenger "seat" now. Not particularly spacious or comfy looking, but at least whoever drives the car can reach the wheel.

7600222.jpg

Obligatory spare parts photo. Nothing out of this world here.

7600223.jpg

So, onto the play features now. Thanks to Lego, I'll remember to watch out for my eyeball when taking the next set of photos.

7600224.jpg

Using the see-saw, you can flick the car over. As you can see this does work, but requires whoever is driving to park their car over a see-saw. If you are that much of a jerk, you probably deserve to have your car flipped.. Maybe without you inside it though, especially if it's roof and rollbar less like this one.

7600225.jpg

The other play feature allows you to press down on the plate to flick the stanchion tower off. Again it works I guess.

So, already onto the summary..

Positives

- The best thing I have to say about this set is that you get a very decent amount of parts for the price point. Compared to say 6858 (89 parts), 6865 (72, but one more figure) and 76008 (91), you are getting an extra third of parts. I also think that part selection here is much better for a young kid to try and make some MOCs/alternate builds with, and I applaud lego for that. It would be a great "bored in the holiday caravan" set for instance.

- The two structures are both of a decent size, neither feels too cheap or pointless, especially compared to the contructions in the other sets i've listed above.

- The figures, especially Superman, are iconic and important characters and are well represented here with quality and detailed prints.

Negatives

- The characters aren't exclusive to this set, and General Zod doesn't come with any of his excellent accessories.

- Neither character really needs a car given they can fly. I'm not sure they need a communication tower or see-saw either.

- The car has no play features itself.

- The stanchion tower and see-saw is a bit of a weird structure the more you think about it.

In Conclusion then..

Minifigures 7/10 - Great figures, but this set could have done with something exclusive, perhaps someone who actually needed to drive a car around. A point knocked off for General Zod missing his armour etc.

Build - 7/10 - The build is quick and easy, but also very standard. There aren't any inspiring/interesting techniques used.

Design - 7/10 - The car looks good apart from the driver's "area". The stanchion tower is a bit weird though, although a good size.

Parts - 9/10 - While there aren't any stand outs here, this set deserves a high score for giving a high volume of pieces for a licensed set this size, many of which would be great for building alternate creations out of.

Playability - 7/10 - The car is a car and as playable as any other small Lego car. The flick features on the stanchion tower work well though, although i'm not sure how long a kid would keep playing with them.

Overall - 37/50

This might seem harsh, but with these smaller sets there isn't often a lot there and it's hard to get too enthusiastic about them. As i've mentioned throughout though, the one thing this set can't be knocked for is value, and I think that's where the true strength of it lies. While i've rated this set on the whole from a "what is the official build like" point of view, it's important to remember that the joy of Lego is such that with a bit of creativity there is a lot more play value than just that, and as a result, i'd still really recommend this set.

Finally..

7600226.jpg

Superman tries to use non-violent means to solve the latest (infinite :wink: ) crisis threatening the City of Metropolis.

Hi xowainx, thank you for the review! I like smaller sets and was curious about this one. I thought 6858 (Catcycle Chase) was disappointing in terms of parts and the Iron Man Showdown to be so-so. This looks like it has more flexibility in what you can build.

I was kind of cold on this set when it was first announced, but I picked it up today and I'm glad I did. The car is fun and sporty looking, as you say (it looks like something you could drive around in Lego City Undercover), and since it has those graspable handles, it is just begging to be used in an Action Comics #1 cover homage vignette, which is something I plan on putting together very soon. I pretty much bought this set specifically so I could make that!

Thanks for the review! I would definitely get this set the next time I pass by any TRU, Target etc.

I've bought my own few days ago and I've been positivly suprised. Box is small but full and car and minifigs are great. Nice review!

I really don't like how they gave Superman the classic hairpiece when he doesn't have it in the film.

After seeing the movie I love the fact that the set is very accurate to the scene it is based on plus there is a reason zod is not wearing armour (watch the movie and understand) In fact this set's scene is in the trailers.