ZCerberus

Useful Pirate Pieces from other Themes?

I'm rather unimpressed by the new "cutlass". It looks like an oversize steak knife or some kind of mechanical cutterbar. Unusual weapons might please the kids but I'm not seeing how these will fit the Pirates theme in anything less than a cartoonish capacity.

I'm rather unimpressed by the new "cutlass". It looks like an oversize steak knife or some kind of mechanical cutterbar. Unusual weapons might please the kids but I'm not seeing how these will fit the Pirates theme in anything less than a cartoonish capacity.

Come on! Don't you love cutlass's skull molded hilt?? pirate_satisfied.gif It's cute and it reminds me of captain Harlock!

Edited by blackdeathgr

For the perspective of 'if I were still a kid' these sets are pretty cool, but there's only a couple of things here that interest me now, the dark green bandanna, the dark green epaulettes and possibly some minifig heads, although it's hard to make them out and I think some of them might be ones I already have.

Just not keen on the new cutlass, sadly. I hope when they bring back classic pirates they use the original cutlass, or some acceptable modification of it. It's good to see that other pieces like pistols, muskets and monkeys are still around, although it makes me wonder why the 2015 pirates didn't include any monkeys.

The dark green eupalettes and dark green legs with a wooden leg seems useful to me. Other than that... not so much.

I'd like to see those sails better, I can barely make out what shape they are. Potentially useful, maybe for some kind of castaway raft. Doubt they'd work well on a full sized ship.

Just now noticing in The Brothers Brick's review photos of Misfortune's Keep that Monkey Wretch is a new mold with printed eyes! This is awesome since the LEGO monkey was overdue for an update. Here's the old monkey for comparison.

Just now noticing in The Brothers Brick's review photos of Misfortune's Keep that Monkey Wretch is a new mold with printed eyes! This is awesome since the LEGO monkey was overdue for an update. Here's the old monkey for comparison.

I agree that the mold looks a lot better. I am not keen on a metal monkey. Hopefully the mold will be used in another theme with a reddish-brown monkey. :cry_happy:

Unless they introduce the monkey with another color, it's fairly useless for historical MOCing. And at least make it gray people! Not metal gray...

It's not bad, I can't wait to see it in a more natural colour in a Pirate set, even if that is going to be four years away... I guess that's why we didn't have any monkeys in 2015, the new mould just wasn't ready yet.

Unless they introduce the monkey with another color, it's fairly useless for historical MOCing. And at least make it gray people! Not metal gray...

I don't think silver is that outrageous for representing a monkey with shiny grey fur (it's not like the monkey has printed bolts or laser eyes or anything like that which would make it look strictly robotic), but even if you can't find use for it as a living creature, I could see it making a good figurine or idol for pirates to try and steal from some island village.

Plus, the fact that LEGO introduced a new mold now makes me think they're quite likely to use it again in other colors and other themes (after all, the Ninjago sky pirate arc probably won't continue for more than half a year). A lot of islands have both monkeys and volcanoes, so maybe the new LEGO City volcano research sets in the summer might use the new monkey. *shrug*

Edited by Aanchir

Plus, the fact that LEGO introduced a new mold now makes me think they're quite likely to use it again in other colors and other themes (after all, the Ninjago sky pirate arc probably won't continue for more than half a year). A lot of islands have both monkeys and volcanoes, so maybe the new LEGO City volcano research sets in the summer might use the new monkey. *shrug*

Hope you are right :monkey:

even if you can't find use for it as a living creature, I could see it making a good figurine or idol for pirates to try and steal from some island village.

I imagine it might make a great figurehead. Those Ninjago pirates do have some useful pieces, I'm planning to grab one or two sets.

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I'll put it here... apparently Collectible Minifigures S16 has a 'Scallywag Pirate', so that's at least one set to add to my collection this year...

Presumably he'll just be a generic pirate in the way that the Collectible Minifigure Pirate Captain was a generic Pirate Captain. I'm expecting striped top, bandanna, cutlass, the works.

I imagine it might make a great figurehead. Those Ninjago pirates do have some useful pieces, I'm planning to grab one or two sets.

I myself want some of the green eupalettes and a pair of the dark green pants with a wooden leg - but sadly, the items are not (yet?) available in Bricks & Pieces. pirate_cry4.gif

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I'll put it here... apparently Collectible Minifigures S16 has a 'Scallywag Pirate', so that's at least one set to add to my collection this year...

Presumably he'll just be a generic pirate in the way that the Collectible Minifigure Pirate Captain was a generic Pirate Captain. I'm expecting striped top, bandanna, cutlass, the works.

Yeah? Sweet!

I haven´t seen the suggestion yet on this topic, but I clearly remember seeing it somewhere.But I have found that the Friends theme Andrea´s hair (Piece: 93352) does work really well as a wig. As does the Elves characters Emily Jone`s hair piece (Part: 11605)

as a captains hair or something.

Captain Becker

I might purchase some of the latest Pirate Ninjago sets for the parts. There are a lot of great elements in these sets even if you don't like the minifig accessories. :grin:

med_gallery_4757_303_77814.jpg

I see anchors under the wings, a :cannon: , a wheel, and that flag is awesome. :pir-wub:

med_gallery_4757_303_108491.jpg

Lots of greenery and landscaping here for a small set.

I think a Ninja Pirate Faction would do well as long as the ships don't fly. :laugh:

The actual sets can be discussed here please.

I just got leaked info that I will be getting the Zeppelin set as a gift. pirate_classic.gif Definitely has a lot of useful pieces for pirates and that flag would work great for some Asian pirate faction! pirate_satisfied.gif

Its doesn't appeared to have been mentioned here that we are getting Captain Hook in the disney CMF series in May, so thats another Captain to add to the collection and hopefully another useful hat with hairpiece. And we get Ursula too, which is pretty good too if you want to add some fantasy to your pirate scenes.

Its doesn't appeared to have been mentioned here that we are getting Captain Hook in the disney CMF series in May, so thats another Captain to add to the collection and hopefully another useful hat with hairpiece. And we get Ursula too, which is pretty good too if you want to add some fantasy to your pirate scenes.

Will it be a Captain Hook minifigure, or a Friends-style minidoll? I think the rest of the Disney figures are all minidolls, so I expect Captain Hook will be one as well. Still, he might come with some useful accessories like the hat with hairpiece you mentioned.

Nope Minifigure. Its part of the Collectable minifigure line, topic in the licensed forum, so definitely a figure. The official list at the beginning of the topic still has him a rumoured, although I suspect that is because the only ones that have been confirmed are the ones where the new moulds have been leaked or Alice (special case where Tragic Banjo changed profile pics to confirm/hint).

Seems like Lego are pretty good at including at least one pirate-themed or pirate-useful figure in most CMF series (or at the very least they alternate between Pirate and Western themes).

Going back to the Raid Zeppelin (70603), I built mine a few days ago and it's definitely a very useful set for us pirate fans. pirate_classic.gif

You get two anchors, a cannon, the ship's wheel, not one but two Asian pirate flags (one is a spare) - great for a potential Asian faction of pirates if you wish to make one.

What is more, if you are a fan of the stud shooters/swivel guns or whatever you wish to call them, you get four - two in white and two in black. Actually, the black ones are a different type which has an added base, so it can't really work as a swivel gun, but one can add some small wheels to it and turn it into a small gun for a smaller pirate ship (this is the first time I've seen this kind of gun, I apologise if it's not new pir_laugh2.gif - I'm not really that much into Ninjago sets).

And you get a broom, a bucket, a barrel with dynamite, not to mention the minifigs, with which you also get cool greeen epaulettes plus a dark brown peg leg with a dark green healthy leg. The torsos might be useful for some Asian pirates too.

Highly recommended!