Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

I agree that petshop is a good one to start with. You get not on, but two buildings! ;-) it has great parts, some nice details and a few clever buildingtechnigues. Heck, buy two of em, so you can get really creative and build a decent moc out of it.

If you are going to get into collecting the modular buildings (Parisian Restaurant, Town Hall, Pet Shop) you should probably take into account which have been out longest too as they will be retired soonest

Fire Brigade

Grand Emporium,

Pet Shop,

Town Hall,

Palace Cinema,

Parisian Restaurant

They are all great builds :)

D

As was recommended the modular buildings are fantastic to get into. I would recommend the houses from lego creator which I see you have already started on. I got really into City 2 years ago and haven't looked back. The great vehicles are a lot of fun to buy. Frankly I try to buy all the city sets I can get my hands on :) it all depends on what you are into.

A couple of options that haven't been mentioned are 10228 Haunted House and 10220 Volkswagon T1 Camper Van.

If you buildings start feeling a little empty, you can always supplement them with a few minifigures from the Collectible Minifigure series.

If you don't mind mini-dolls, you might want to consider some of the Friends sets for your collection. Many of the sets can find a place in a City collection with little to no alteration. Friends sets also get interesting parts like the 1x1 round tiles with cookie printing.

I, personally, don't like the Pet Shop. Parisian's a good way to go and I can see it jump starting your brick addiction again! Other great choices are any of the other Modulars, the Tower Bridge, Ewok Village (if you're in to SW), and the Tower of Orthanc.

I ordered Parisian Restaurant, Apple Tree House, Car Carrier, Flatbed Truck, Mining Truck, the mini VW Bus, and Hot Dog Stand to get me started. I will take pictures and post them as they come in!

Looks like a good start! I kind of wish I was out of my dark age when the modulars were first released, because they look like fun builds to collect. However, my wallet is thanking me :laugh: I can't start collecting them now because I know I'll eventually want to hunt down the uber expensive retired modulars.

Have you looked into the Winter Village sets? I've been collecting those, they're cheaper to get into than the modulars, and a quite a bit smaller which makes them easier to display. They are all fun builds.

I figure one $150 every month or month and a half is reasonable. This month was different because I want to set something up in my basement. The prices of them are crazy though! I was looking up sets that I remember from when I was younger and these small sets like Pizza to Go are very expensive!

It's LEGO not Legos. ie "Getting into LEGO, what set(s) should I get" and "I am just getting back into LEGO".

(Someone had to say it...)

Cheers

Rog

It's LEGO not Legos. ie "Getting into LEGO, what set(s) should I get" and "I am just getting back into LEGO".

(Someone had to say it...)

Cheers

Rog

Thanks. My whole childhood and adult life I wondered what the proper way to say it. :laugh: Also, would you guys know any good site to purchase interior decor (fridge, washer, sink, TV couch, etc..) I think it would add to the few house I have so far. Way too boring with nothing in it,.

Also, would you guys know any good site to purchase interior decor (fridge, washer, sink, TV couch, etc..) I think it would add to the few house I have so far. Way too boring with nothing in it,.

I would recommend Bricklink, its a very good site for excact pieces.

I've returned from my Dark Age last year and have been buying mostly Middle Earth sets (every single one of them), but loved the modular building concept and decided to get all that I could still find at reasonable prices (which is almost impossible here in Brazil). I was able to find a new GG locally, brought FB, GE and PS from the US, and am in the process of Bricklinking a CC adaptation. I also bought PC to get the LEGO Movie sticker and HH, but they are sitting at a relative's house in NY until I get to go pick them up.

I'm traveling to the West Coast next month and should have room in my suitcases for two big sets. Question is: which two? I'm probably getting TH to be sure I don't miss it, but for the second one I'm trying to decide between PR, which would be the obvious choice, and the Ewok Village. I'm not into SW, but was thinking of modding it into Lothlórien and selling the minifigs. My reasoning is that PR should be around long enough for me to get it at a later trip while EV may or may not last as long as other SW exclusives. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm looking to get a set since I haven't bought any in a while.. Anyone have any opinions on these and what I should get?

75005 Rancor Pit:

Looks awesome, mostly want it for the kick-megablocks Rancor, I don't own Jabbas Palace nor do I really intend on getting it

75019 AT-TE:

Not that interested, but it looks like a fun build and I do have the rest of the new episode II sets

Galaxy Squad Galactic Titan/Hive Crawler:

I want one of these, don't know what one tough.. It's hard to choose!

Having only recently gotten out of my Dark Ages, I would like to observe how Lego Technic has changed over the years. I'm also a person of rather limited means so my monthly expenditures on Lego can be no higher than 20-30$ as of now, which translates to Technic sets around 200 pcs in size. Please rec me one set a year starting from say, 1987 or something (that makes 27 sets to 2013 inclusive), that you feel is a nice set and showcases the major staples of the Technic style of the time. If you feel that changes from year N to year N+1 in set design were not consequential, you can just rec me sets that in your opinion constituted a major paradigm shift in construction compared to what came before. I'll be very grateful for any suggestions.

I could advice this little set to you at that price:

1988 - 8853 Excavator (for the mechanism, but hard to find at 30$)

1989 - 8044 (for Pneumatics)

1990 - 8840 (first appareance of fake cylinder engine)

1991 - 8838 Shock Cycle (I own :) )

1992 - 8837 Excavator (for Pneumatics, but hard to find)

1993 - 8824 Hovercraft (unique hovercraft until 2013)

1994 - 8812 Helicopter

1995 - 8412 Nighthawk

1996 - 8480 Space Shuttle (I Joke :) Sorry, I can't find a special set in this year at that price)

1997 - 8437 Future car (I own, interesting mechanics)

1998 - 8432 Concept car (hard to find)

1999 - Sorry, I can't help you

2000 - Sorry, I can't help you

2001 - 8463 Forklift (Interesting mechanism)

2002 - Sorry, I can't find a set in this year :)

2003 - 8453 Front end loader (marvellous)

2004 - Sorry, I can't find a special set in this year at that price :(

2005 - 8415 Excavator (hard to find)

2006 - 8283 Telehandler (hard to find at 30$)

2007 - 8270 Rough Terrain Crane

2008 - 8296 Dune buggy (Maybe there is only this set at that price)

2009 - 8262 Quad bike

2010 - 8045 Mini Telehandler

2011 - 8067 Mini mobile crane

2012 - 9392 Quad bike or 9393 Tractor (this last more expensive)

2013 - 42004 Mini back loader

2014 - 42022 Hot rod ABSOLUTELY! (or 42021 Snowmobile, for new shock absorber parts)

I hope that I helped you a bit! :)

Thanks for the suggestions! Since writing the OP, I've been working on my own list and got to 2003 so far. Would you please rate/suggest changes? Are some of the sets I've chosen bad for some reason and it would be best if I reconsidered? Here's what I've come up with. Bear in mind, I might get some other sets I particularly like too - these are just to see how Lego Technic evolved. Once I've got them all, I'll probably have quite a bit of parts too.

1977: 850 Fork Lift Truck

1978: 852 Helicopter

1979: 856 Bulldozer

1981: 8844 Helicopter

1982: 8090 Universal Set

1983: 8841 Dune Buggy

1984: 8050 Universal Motor Set

1985: 8843 Fork-Lift Truck

1986: 8055 Universal Motor Set

1987: 8852 Robot

1988: 8853 Excavator

1989: 8044 Universal Pneumatic Set

1990: 8064 Universal Motorized Building Set

1991: 8838 Shock Cycle

1992: 8837 Pneumatic Excavator

1993: 8857-2 Street Chopper

1994: 8829 Dune Blaster

1995: 8422 Circuit Shock Racer

1996: 8408 Desert Ranger

1997: 8414 Mountain Rambler

1998: 8248 Forklift

1999: 8445 Indy Storm

2000: 8279 4WD X-Track

2001: 8465 Extreme Offroader

2002: 8429 Helicopter

2003: 8453 Front End Loader

2004: 8433 Cool Movers

2005: 8415 Dump Truck

2006: 8283 Telehandler

2007: 8271 Wheel Loader

2008: 8291 Dirt Bike

2009: 8262 Quad Bike

2010: 8047 Compact Excavator

2011: 8068 Rescue Helicopter

2012: 9393 Tractor

2013: 42004 Mini Backhoe

Edited by Xfing

Ok, the 1977 Forklift can be ticked off the list! Daamn, I'm so excited to be buying such an ancient set! I heard it's so old it even has a previous variety of the standard 2x4 brick, no longer produced! Sweeeeeet!

The Parisian Restaurant is just fantastic. Sometimes you can get a lucky deal on ebay, but sometimes it's more expensive than bricklink, so look around. If there was a set you always wanted as a kid and could never have, or that you had and it was given away when you got older, it's often really great to track one down as an adult :blush:

I would reccomend Star Wars and the LEGO MOVIE. Those are my favorite themes, but, you seem to like the City sets and for those I like the police stuff.

I picked up the Creator 'Family House' 31012 last month and found it a nice, interesting build with a neat light-up feature- Id definitely reccomend it to anyone who likes buildings.

The LEGO Movie 2-in-1s have good alt models that could be used for city, and come with three generic city figs each.

Any opinions on which of these two is better:

Lake Town Chase or Battle at the Black Gate?

Thanks!

Picked up the Black Gate set!

Edited by SirNagek

I have a chance to buy 7188 King's Carriage Ambush at Barnes and Noble. It's retail so it's $40. Does this seem like a good buy?

Any retired set that can be had at retail is a good deal. I'm a big fan of the Kingdoms line, and 7188 is a really nice set. If you have Kingdom's Joust or Medieval Market Village it goes nicely with them.