Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

I am going to the Lego store on the 3rd to get the chrome TC14. I will either be buying the Death Star playset or the UCS shuttle. Which one should I get before they go off shelves? Which one is your personal favorite? Thanks!!

They almost couldnt be more different. One is a playset with a ton of minifigs, that happens to be roughly the shape of the death star but doesn't pretend to be accurate. The other is a beautiful recreation of the imperial shuttle. If you like both, the DS will disappear first, so if you plan on eventually getting both, get that one. If you only plan to choose one, I'd go for the shuttle, but that's just because I did :) plus I figure it'd be easier to knock up a playset with some set pieces in it as a MOC easier than it would be to MOC a UCS shuttle.

They almost couldnt be more different. One is a playset with a ton of minifigs, that happens to be roughly the shape of the death star but doesn't pretend to be accurate. The other is a beautiful recreation of the imperial shuttle. If you like both, the DS will disappear first, so if you plan on eventually getting both, get that one. If you only plan to choose one, I'd go for the shuttle, but that's just because I did :) plus I figure it'd be easier to knock up a playset with some set pieces in it as a MOC easier than it would be to MOC a UCS shuttle.

I know they are totally different. I am just having a hard time distinguishing which one will be more valuable as it is rotated out. I can buy both within the coming 3 months, so I just want to know which one is likely to disappear and therefore increase in the secondary market first. From what I have read and seen, it seems to be the Death Star (even though I want the shuttle more).

I know they are totally different. I am just having a hard time distinguishing which one will be more valuable as it is rotated out. I can buy both within the coming 3 months, so I just want to know which one is likely to disappear and therefore increase in the secondary market first. From what I have read and seen, it seems to be the Death Star (even though I want the shuttle more).

This is a really hard call. The Death Star has been out since June 2008 which is a really long time for a LEGO set. At this point it's anyone's guess as to when it will finally be discontinued. The fact that it's still in production tells you how well it's selling for LEGO.

Unlike the Death Star, I don't have the UCS Shuttle. It's really a beautiful ship, it just hasn't made it into my collection for some reason.

If you're trying to invest in one or the other, I'd be very cautious. From what I've read on various sites, many people are stockpiling the Death Star in hopes that it'll rise in value similar to the UCS Falcon once it retires.

I'm only just now getting into Star Wars, so I would choose the Death Star. Not only because it has a TON of minifigures, but also because it looks like a neat playset (not that I play with my Lego bricks). The shuttle does look like a very nice replica of the actual thing and it being designed for collectibility, that is a nice feature also. I do agree if you ever planned on building it secondhand, the DS would be easier since it is a collection of rooms.

If you plan on getting both, get the DS first since it is older. If you want the shuttle more, get it first and then within the next 3 months, get the DS. The DS being such a hot seller, I would have a hard time believing they would discontinue it within the next 3 months. They'd probably want to milk at least one more Christmas just in case. But there really is no guarantee.

As stated above, I would personally go for the DS, but that is because I have very little in the way of Star Wars figures, so it would all be new for me.

Good luck on your decision!

As for me, I'll ask my own "What set should I buy?"

For the Hulk minifigure promotion in mid-May, you need to spend $50. I was considering either the 9492 TIE Fighter or 9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor plus 9489 Endor Rebel Trooper Battle Pack. Keep in mind, I have very little Star Wars figures or playsets. I like the figures more among the latter two sets, but I really like how the TIE Fighter looks. What does everyone think here?

For the Hulk minifigure promotion in mid-May, you need to spend $50. I was considering either the 9492 TIE Fighter or 9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor plus 9489 Endor Rebel Trooper Battle Pack. Keep in mind, I have very little Star Wars figures or playsets. I like the figures more among the latter two sets, but I really like how the TIE Fighter looks. What does everyone think here?

Although I really like the look of the latest TIE Fighter, I have yet to get one since I already have 3 older Tie Fighters in the family collection. I will probably get one when I find it on sale for the right price.

If I was in the position you're in now, I would go with Anakin's Jedi Interceptor and the Endor BP. I absolutely love the Episode III set and will probably get it during the May the 4th promo.

I'm only just now getting into Star Wars, so I would choose the Death Star. Not only because it has a TON of minifigures, but also because it looks like a neat playset (not that I play with my Lego bricks). The shuttle does look like a very nice replica of the actual thing and it being designed for collectibility, that is a nice feature also. I do agree if you ever planned on building it secondhand, the DS would be easier since it is a collection of rooms.

If you plan on getting both, get the DS first since it is older. If you want the shuttle more, get it first and then within the next 3 months, get the DS. The DS being such a hot seller, I would have a hard time believing they would discontinue it within the next 3 months. They'd probably want to milk at least one more Christmas just in case. But there really is no guarantee.

As stated above, I would personally go for the DS, but that is because I have very little in the way of Star Wars figures, so it would all be new for me.

Good luck on your decision!

I think I will get the death star shortly and then shuttle in a couple months. My Lego store has 7 death stars in stock so I have to assume they will be there may 3rd.

I think this is like quantity over quality.

The TIE Fighter has cooler minifigures while the Interceptor+ battlepack will have more figures.

I would go for the TIE but since you have a little amount of minifigures, you should go for the latter. :sweet:

I am a new FAFOL

I became interested (and bordering on obsessed lol) since my daughter fell in love with Lego friends.

I have started building vignettes and small rooms. Our current lego selection is somewhat limited. We have several small friends sets, (olivia's treehouse is the largest). I am also blessed to have my hubbies old lego sets (Exxon station and 733 universal) It's great, but I am pretty much limited to bright red or blue for walls. My birthday is this weekend and I finally have an opportunity to buy a lego set all my own. (I have never had my "own" set) I am limited to under $50 (U.S.)

I originally was going to get the friends cafe, but now that I have been building more, it would be nice to learn some more challenging building technigues, and have more house/room building bricks.

I am trying to decide on a creator set. (seems to be what is in my price range)

The lighthouse is really neat. I grew up near the great lakes and have lighthouses throughout my home, so if someday I take a building hiatus I could display it.

The log cabin looks like a great value for what I am looking for (I could get some other small sets then too) Lots of nice brown bricks and a room to furnish.

I think it is between those too, but any other suggstions would be OK.

Any recommendations

The lighthouse is really neat. I grew up near the great lakes and have lighthouses throughout my home, so if someday I take a building hiatus I could display it.

The log cabin looks like a great value for what I am looking for (I could get some other small sets then too) Lots of nice brown bricks and a room to furnish.

First, welcome to EB!

In regards to the sets, I only have the lighthouse. It's an awesome set, but with your situation, I'd go with the Log cabin. There is much room for expansion with the log cabin, and with the saved money from the lighthouse, you can do just that!

First, welcome to EB!

In regards to the sets, I only have the lighthouse. It's an awesome set, but with your situation, I'd go with the Log cabin. There is much room for expansion with the log cabin, and with the saved money from the lighthouse, you can do just that!

Thanks for the input. I really love lighthouses, so it is oh so tempting. But I do already have furniture ideas for the cabin. It reminds me of the one room cabins my family vacationed in when I was little. And it definitely appeals to my practical side

I am going to the Lego store on the 3rd to get the chrome TC14. I will either be buying the Death Star playset or the UCS shuttle. Which one should I get before they go off shelves? Which one is your personal favorite? Thanks!!

Since nobody mentioned yet, the TC-14 promo is the 4/5th. Going on the 3rd wouldn't do you much good. Now, onto the question at hand. I'd would without a doubt get the set that interests you more. That would be, as you said, the Imperial Shuttle. Getting a set with $$ in your mind 9 out of ten times isn't really worth it.

For my town:

Grand Emporium (£90-£100)

Pros:

It would be the actual set instead of the mini version.

It'd be actual scale.

It may be a good set.

Cons:

I've already sort of been planning to use the Mini Modulars so I'd have to change and remove things if I bought the Grand Emporium.

I'd have to buy multiple Modular Buildings if I wanted to continue on my town.

or

Mini Modulars(£50-£60)

Pros:

I'd have an entire line of Modular Buildings just in Mini form.

Cons:

They might not make Pet Shop and Town Hall in mini form.

Since nobody mentioned yet, the TC-14 promo is the 4/5th. Going on the 3rd wouldn't do you much good. Now, onto the question at hand. I'd would without a doubt get the set that interests you more. That would be, as you said, the Imperial Shuttle. Getting a set with $$ in your mind 9 out of ten times isn't really worth it.

I honestly don't know why I kept referring to the 3rd. That is a Thursday and wouldn't even make sense haha - silly me.

But yes, I do think the shuttle interests me more, however both sets would probably be my favorite of all time. The shuttle is an AMAZING recreation of one of my favorite vehicles. The death star is probably the best lego playset of all time in my mind. I am a huge fan of both accurate representation of vehicles and also playsets, so inevitably both of these sets top my charts.

What do you guys think are some of the all time best star wars vehicle sets (in terms of accuracy, functionality, etc.)?

For my town:

Grand Emporium easy. It may be gone soon, and Mini Modulars should be around for a while. :wink:

For my town:

Grand Emporium (£90-£100)

Pros:

It would be the actual set instead of the mini version.

It'd be actual scale.

It may be a good set.

Cons:

I've already sort of been planning to use the Mini Modulars so I'd have to change and remove things if I bought the Grand Emporium.

I'd have to buy multiple Modular Buildings if I wanted to continue on my town.

or

Mini Modulars(£50-£60)

Pros:

I'd have an entire line of Modular Buildings just in Mini form.

Cons:

They might not make Pet Shop and Town Hall in mini form.

I can't remember the layout of your town...but I would get the Grand Emporium. Especially if you have other Modulars. You can always get the Mini Modulars after GE easier. $80 is easier to save than $150

I honestly don't know why I kept referring to the 3rd. That is a Thursday and wouldn't even make sense haha - silly me.

But yes, I do think the shuttle interests me more, however both sets would probably be my favorite of all time. The shuttle is an AMAZING recreation of one of my favorite vehicles. The death star is probably the best lego playset of all time in my mind. I am a huge fan of both accurate representation of vehicles and also playsets, so inevitably both of these sets top my charts.

What do you guys think are some of the all time best star wars vehicle sets (in terms of accuracy, functionality, etc.)?

Well, if you're a VIP member(if you're not, sign up now! :tongue:) Then, id recommend this course of action. Buy the Death Star first, then you can use those points(if you get any...can't remember the conversion rate) then you could get some $$ off the Imperial Shuttle. Although, now that I think about it, you might need 500 points to get any money...if so, I still say get the Shuttle because you like it greater than the Death Star.

I am a new FAFOL

I became interested (and bordering on obsessed lol) since my daughter fell in love with Lego friends.

I have started building vignettes and small rooms. Our current lego selection is somewhat limited. We have several small friends sets, (olivia's treehouse is the largest). I am also blessed to have my hubbies old lego sets (Exxon station and 733 universal) It's great, but I am pretty much limited to bright red or blue for walls. My birthday is this weekend and I finally have an opportunity to buy a lego set all my own. (I have never had my "own" set) I am limited to under $50 (U.S.)

I originally was going to get the friends cafe, but now that I have been building more, it would be nice to learn some more challenging building technigues, and have more house/room building bricks.

Any recommendations

You can't really go wrong with any of the Creator houses. Between the 2 you mention I would go with the Log Cabin only because you mention you already have lots of red bricks. And, you could get another nice set with the extra $20. However, the Lighthouse is more of an interesting structure and is more interesting to build IMO. But, since the Log Cabin has been around longer I would get that first since it will most likely be discontinued before the Lighthouse. You could always see about getting the Lighthouse for Christmas or your next birthday perhaps.

Also, look out for the new Seaside House coming this summer as a possible Christmas gift. I'm going to get it as it will go great with the Beach House from 2008.

I´m going to buy one of this. I prefer the TIE (almost of my collection is from the OT) but the starfighter is really cool (and its stickers :sadnew: ). I have a X-Wing and a Tie Advanced, so, a Tie Fighter will be a great complement. I have the Emperor´s Shuttle from Ep.III, if i bought the 9494 I will complete the Mustafar part, that wolud be fine.

PS: If I choose the 9494, I will buy it in the official shop; how long it takes the shipping? I´m from Spain.

Thanks

I have both sets. Honestly it will depend on what you are looking for.

I absolutely love the Anakin Jedi Interceptor. It is probably one of the best single sets of the past year or so. The fighter itself is really well done and well refined. Plus it comes with a lot of play value in the additional figs and pieces to recreate the Mustafar fight. Just an A+ effort from TLG.

The Tie fighter, it will depend on what you are looking for? It is hands down the best "Tie" anything Lego has put out. The shape is better. The colors are right. It is really sturdy and swooshable. And it has some unusual minifigs. But it also lacks some of the fun factor of the Jedi Interceptor. It's a well executed but slightly duller kit.

I am a new FAFOL

Any recommendations

Having both, I'd recommend the Lighthouse. It's just so quaint and picturesque, and a pretty interesting build. You'll certainly enjoy it!

This should be in "What set should I buy?", but to answer the question, while I own neither, I'd go with the TIE. It sounds like you plan to display the set as-is with other OT sets, and the TIE is definitely much more iconic and better suited for a display than the dark green Eta-2.

You can't really go wrong with any of the Creator houses. Between the 2 you mention I would go with the Log Cabin only because you mention you already have lots of red bricks. And, you could get another nice set with the extra $20. However, the Lighthouse is more of an interesting structure and is more interesting to build IMO. But, since the Log Cabin has been around longer I would get that first since it will most likely be discontinued before the Lighthouse. You could always see about getting the Lighthouse for Christmas or your next birthday perhaps.

Also, look out for the new Seaside House coming this summer as a possible Christmas gift. I'm going to get it as it will go great with the Beach House from 2008.

Having both, I'd recommend the Lighthouse. It's just so quaint and picturesque, and a pretty interesting build. You'll certainly enjoy it!

Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. Thanks so much for the advice. Interesting note about the log cabin being likely to disappear sooner. I think I will get that first.

But i do really want the lighthouse now.

Technically I can "afford" them both, but I think my husband will think I am off my rocker if I buy them both. :wink: But he doesn't fuss about what I spend my birthday money on. So now y'all have me devising a plan.

Buy the log cabin first. Have 20 dollars bday money left over. We are planning a trip to Chicago in may or June. We will definitely be going to a Lego store. It wouldn't be too hard to justify buying the lighthouse at the lego store, paying for part of it with my left over birthday money - and the rest as a special lego store/vacation treat. Hubby knows I really like lighthouses and we will be w/ his best friend who has lots of Star wars lego, so it will be easier to make it seem "normal" :laugh:

Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. Thanks so much for the advice. Interesting note about the log cabin being likely to disappear sooner. I think I will get that first.

But i do really want the lighthouse now.

Technically I can "afford" them both, but I think my husband will think I am off my rocker if I buy them both. :wink: But he doesn't fuss about what I spend my birthday money on. So now y'all have me devising a plan.

Buy the log cabin first. Have 20 dollars bday money left over. We are planning a trip to Chicago in may or June. We will definitely be going to a Lego store. It wouldn't be too hard to justify buying the lighthouse at the lego store, paying for part of it with my left over birthday money - and the rest as a special lego store/vacation treat. Hubby knows I really like lighthouses and we will be w/ his best friend who has lots of Star wars lego, so it will be easier to make it seem "normal" :laugh:

Do you want to make your own designs too? I would think a log cabin would be a great first MOC project, and as you say you have fond memories of them, you could personalise it to those memories. Why not take a look at the instructions on Lego.com, it looks quite a simple basic build - 1x brown bricks, overlapping at the corners to give the log effect.

Do you want to make your own designs too? I would think a log cabin would be a great first MOC project, and as you say you have fond memories of them, you could personalise it to those memories. Why not take a look at the instructions on Lego.com, it looks quite a simple basic build - 1x brown bricks, overlapping at the corners to give the log effect.

I forget I can look at the instructions online. (I am quite the novice. :blush: )

That is an interesting idea. Do you mean make my own version w/o the set? Or modify the set to be like the cabins we stayed in? (I was already planning on modifying it at some point)

My ultimate goal is doing my own designs mostly. But I have a lot to learn. Fortunately i have many years of playing lego with my little girls to practice.

Problem with doing it without the set is the only 1x bricks I have any quantity of are bright red and blue. Though I imagine there could be another way to get a hold of brown (or green - some of the cabins we stayed in were painted green)1x bricks. We will be at the PAB wall at the lego store, but how likely are they to have the bricks I want? (We live 3 hours from the nearest lego store so I won't be getting there often) hmmm...

Technically, they are both 2011 releases, but I recall the Log Cabin came out late 2010 while the Lighthouse came out around the summer 2011. Granted I was just speculating, but all things being equal I would expect the Log Cabin to go away before the Lighthouse.

Also, be sure to check out the great reviews on Eurobricks which will give you more insight into each set.

I forget I can look at the instructions online. (I am quite the novice. :blush: )

That is an interesting idea. Do you mean make my own version w/o the set? Or modify the set to be like the cabins we stayed in? (I was already planning on modifying it at some point)

My ultimate goal is doing my own designs mostly. But I have a lot to learn. Fortunately i have many years of playing lego with my little girls to practice.

Problem with doing it without the set is the only 1x bricks I have any quantity of are bright red and blue. Though I imagine there could be another way to get a hold of brown (or green - some of the cabins we stayed in were painted green)1x bricks. We will be at the PAB wall at the lego store, but how likely are they to have the bricks I want? (We live 3 hours from the nearest lego store so I won't be getting there often) hmmm...

I meant do it from scratch. I'm a novice too, but I think you'd be fine. Best way to get bulk bricks would be bricklink, but then I guess maybe you could just buy the log cabin :) I'll have a quick look at prices

Edit - I guess you could buy enough reddish brown bricks and roof pieces for around $10.

Edited by mrklaw

On looks alone, since I have neither, I'd go with 9494 Anakins JSF. I like the new Ani better and Obi Wan toupee is just so cool. The rest of him isn't bad either. And, the addition of the platforms gives it more play value...not that any of us here play with them. :blush: