Altezza

WIP - LotR Helm´s Deep (minifig scale)

Wow this is an epic MOC to say the least. How the heck did you aquire that many Uruk Hai?! I'm guessing BL here and there?

How the heck did you aquire that many Uruk Hai?! I'm guessing BL here and there?

I would have guessed he was from the U.K. and got them dirt cheap through the Sun promotion, but he said his English isn't very good so that is probably not very likely. Plus he seems to have a ton of Rohirrim.

Edited by Deathleech

Hello from Italy!

Well this is astonishing...

I have a question for you:

I own about 40 uruk-hais and they costed me a lot. I just am amazed on your large army.

Can I ask you how much you paied averagely one? And where you buied them?

Thanks in advance!

Having a look through BrickLink prices the cost per minifigure isn't that cheap and you still have to factor in shipping which will really vary from country to country. In my case shipping is high and you're looking at close to $5 US without weapons (but with armor) and you still have to factor in the shipping costs. Depending on how large of an army you want you're going to have to order from multiple sellers which again makes the cost per minifig go up. With 5 generic minifigures and Eomer who can be modified to look generic enough, you're at $30. If you hit a good sale you can pick up sets for cheaper and in my case I would rather buy the sets. So if you averaged the cost at $20 per set (which is amazing imo) and you wanted an army of 500 Uruk-Hai you would have to spend $2500. Is it bad that I kinda want to spend that much to have an army that amazing?

What I'm trying to say is keep up the good work Altezza.

Edited by scottjs

Indeed an epic looking project!!! I wish you good luck in completing this awesome WIP!

This is amazing!!! You have so many soldiers! And Helms deep! It is beautiful :wub: and :wub_drool: I want it!

I have 6 uruk-hai now, not that much, right? I hope I get more uruk-hai, but I think I will get more Mordor orcs. I have four of them now, plus Yazneg. Do you know a site where I can get Uruk-hai and orcs for not that much?

Edited by jeroenaa

Really an excellent work, Altezza!

I'm impressed because you said this is your first moc post dark-age. There are a lot of interesting techniques in this moc, the solutions used to build these round forms are absolutely fantastic! I already seen something similar in other mocs but never in a model large as the yours... now I have to try how works with my parts! ;-)

I'm sure you saw a lot of mocs before begin this one!

Ps Maybe are you italian?

Edited by Marco Cancellieri

Incredible build, love your wall technique, using the 2x4 tiles works beautifully :wub:

8662664963_116e46c2d0_c.jpg

I hope recognizes the Wall-technic?

It's hard to see how you are doing this with all those black pieces. I see you are using the 1x2 technic brick with pins to attach the 2x4 tiles. What are the black pieces between the layers? What is allowing this to bend like that?

My guess would be the 1x4 hinge plate. I can't think of anything else that would allow the bend.

I think it's just two 1x2 black plates on top of each other between the bricks to get the height of 5 plates = witdth of 2x4 tiles ... If you cross build the 1x2 bricks into a wall it all bends by itself, but only for very little, which is only possible to use in a very large models like this one is.

Outstanding work here! Can't wait to see it finished ... and with so many Uruk-hai and Rohan soldiers!!!

Edited by MstrOfPppts

I would also like to know how it is possible to amass such a huge army of anything without spending a fortune, even going on the cheap (Relatively.) CMF 500 is going to be around £1,000 which is an awful lot of cash.

Still not one to begrudge someone what they want and this looks like a really good build. Will be great when it is done and i cannot wait to see the photos.

I am wondering how mobile it will be though as i see lots of stacks of bricks (Duplo?) holding up higher raised parts but they seem to just be resting on different levels of desk / chair etc so I hope that they do not all fall apart when you try and move it?

I would also like to know how it is possible to amass such a huge army of anything without spending a fortune, even going on the cheap (Relatively.) CMF 500 is going to be around £1,000 which is an awful lot of cash.

Well if he got most the Uruk-hai from the Sun promotion, that would of only been roughly $0.75 per Uruk-hai. 370x0.75=$277.50. The Rohan Soldiers have gone as low as ~$4 on BL, but I'm not sure how many of those he has. If he got the best deals possible he could of easily amassed all these minifigs for well under $1000 assuming he has under 100 Rohan Soldiers.

Of course it doesn't look like he went that route considering all the Uruk-hai shields and swords he has, as well as Eomer's. I too would be interested in knowing how he went about amassing such an army, how many of each minifig he has, and if he has bought the other LotR sets or amassed armies there (Mirkwood Elves, Mordor Orcs, etc.) or just focused strictly on the Uruk-hai and Helm's Deep.

This is absolutely stunning! I really enjoy Helm's Deep mocs, as i have built one myself too :). I wish you luck and cannot wait to see the end result.

Many Thanks!

thast a great looking project! ill be following this!

Thanks! Your "Receiving orders" is also fantastic!! excellent Job!

Wow this is an epic MOC to say the least. How the heck did you aquire that many Uruk Hai?! I'm guessing BL here and there?

Thanks! I have many sets of 9471. And the other Uruks from BL

I would have guessed he was from the U.K. and got them dirt cheap through the Sun promotion, but he said his English isn't very good so that is probably not very likely. Plus he seems to have a ton of Rohirrim.

That's right, I'm not from england. I'm from Germany

This is just incredible!! I can't wait to see the finished model!

Thanks!

Hello from Italy!

Well this is astonishing...

I have a question for you:

I own about 40 uruk-hais and they costed me a lot. I just am amazed on your large army.

Can I ask you how much you paied averagely one? And where you buied them?

Thanks in advance!

Hello from Germany! Thanks for your comment! Average 3,60€ per figure including weapon and shield

Having a look through BrickLink prices the cost per minifigure isn't that cheap and you still have to factor in shipping which will really vary from country to country. In my case shipping is high and you're looking at close to $5 US without weapons (but with armor) and you still have to factor in the shipping costs. Depending on how large of an army you want you're going to have to order from multiple sellers which again makes the cost per minifig go up. With 5 generic minifigures and Eomer who can be modified to look generic enough, you're at $30. If you hit a good sale you can pick up sets for cheaper and in my case I would rather buy the sets. So if you averaged the cost at $20 per set (which is amazing imo) and you wanted an army of 500 Uruk-Hai you would have to spend $2500. Is it bad that I kinda want to spend that much to have an army that amazing?

What I'm trying to say is keep up the good work Altezza.

Many Thanks for your comment! It is cheaper to buy the set 9471 Ø25€ for 6 Figs + Bricks

$20 per set.. Its a dream price.. In germany is the best price 25€ ~ 32,70$

Indeed an epic looking project!!! I wish you good luck in completing this awesome WIP!

Thanks and Thanks!

This is amazing!!! You have so many soldiers! And Helms deep! It is beautiful :wub: and :wub_drool: I want it!

I have 6 uruk-hai now, not that much, right? I hope I get more uruk-hai, but I think I will get more Mordor orcs. I have four of them now, plus Yazneg. Do you know a site where I can get Uruk-hai and orcs for not that much?

Many Thanks! The best price for Uruk-hai is the set 9471

Really an excellent work, Altezza!

I'm impressed because you said this is your first moc post dark-age. There are a lot of interesting techniques in this moc, the solutions used to build these round forms are absolutely fantastic! I already seen something similar in other mocs but never in a model large as the yours... now I have to try how works with my parts! ;-)

I'm sure you saw a lot of mocs before begin this one!

Ps Maybe are you italian?

Many Thanks for your comment. My last Moc - I was 15 years.. I am now 32 years :wink:

I´m not italian, i´m german :wink:

Incredible build, love your wall technique, using the 2x4 tiles works beautifully :wub:

Thank you

It's hard to see how you are doing this with all those black pieces. I see you are using the 1x2 technic brick with pins to attach the 2x4 tiles. What are the black pieces between the layers? What is allowing this to bend like that?

Sry.. have made ​​new pictures for you

8721771830_3650c5590c_c.jpg

8721772014_4258b7e74a_c.jpg

Its 1x2 technic brick with two holes and 1x2 plates

I hope you can see it better now?

I think it's just two 1x2 black plates on top of each other between the bricks to get the height of 5 plates = witdth of 2x4 tiles ... If you cross build the 1x2 bricks into a wall it all bends by itself, but only for very little, which is only possible to use in a very large models like this one is.

Outstanding work here! Can't wait to see it finished ... and with so many Uruk-hai and Rohan soldiers!!!

Many thanks! You're right with the wall technique :wink:

Still not one to begrudge someone what they want and this looks like a really good build. Will be great when it is done and i cannot wait to see the photos.

I am wondering how mobile it will be though as i see lots of stacks of bricks (Duplo?) holding up higher raised parts but they seem to just be resting on different levels of desk / chair etc so I hope that they do not all fall apart when you try and move it?

Thanks for positive feedback!

the support are only temporarily.

The castle is divided into 4 segments.

Well if he got most the Uruk-hai from the Sun promotion, that would of only been roughly $0.75 per Uruk-hai. 370x0.75=$277.50. The Rohan Soldiers have gone as low as ~$4 on BL, but I'm not sure how many of those he has. If he got the best deals possible he could of easily amassed all these minifigs for well under $1000 assuming he has under 100 Rohan Soldiers.

Of course it doesn't look like he went that route considering all the Uruk-hai shields and swords he has, as well as Eomer's. I too would be interested in knowing how he went about amassing such an army, how many of each minifig he has, and if he has bought the other LotR sets or amassed armies there (Mirkwood Elves, Mordor Orcs, etc.) or just focused strictly on the Uruk-hai and Helm's Deep.

many many sets of 9471 :wink:

I'm amazed. It took me a while to notice the walls are covered in SNOT. :tongue: It's a really cool technique, and just looks fantastic on this scale.

Awesome! Thanks so much for those detail pictures. I totally understand the build now. Great work.

I wish people would lay off the number of minifigures in this model and speculating on the cost of them. Who cares? He got them somehow. Period. Who are you to question how one spends their time and money?

I wish people would lay off the number of minifigures in this model and speculating on the cost of them. Who cares? He got them somehow. Period. Who are you to question how one spends their time and money?

I understand from a "I'd like to do something like this myself and want to know how much it costs." perspective, but I agree that people get a little personal about other MOCers finances. Gets old.

I understand from a "I'd like to do something like this myself and want to know how much it costs." perspective, but I agree that people get a little personal about other MOCers finances. Gets old.

It's nice to know for that reason, and also if he has some way he is getting them cheaper which he could share with us to help others out in amassing bigger armies. Sometimes there are deals or ways to get things cheaper people are not always aware of.

I don't think anyone has really gotten too personal such as asking what he makes a year or criticizing him for spending so much on Lego. It's more just curiosity about how he got so many minifigures and pieces.

Edited by Deathleech

I am surprised by the give on those walls to curve them like that... I didn't know you could get that kind of angle. These are some of the coolest walls I have every seen.

It's nice to know for that reason, and also if he has some way he is getting them cheaper which he could share with us to help others out in amassing bigger armies. Sometimes there are deals or ways to get things cheaper people are not always aware of.

I don't think anyone has really gotten too personal such as asking what he makes a year or criticizing him for spending so much on Lego. It's more just curiosity about how he got so many minifigures and pieces.

Exactly. I think everyone that's asking is in pure awe of what Altezza is doing. I don't sense any "criticism" towards how much he's spending on Lego. This is a Lego forum after all kibosh, I can't see anyone "questioning how someone spends their time and money" when we're all doing the exact same thing.

Scott, I get that this is a LEGO forum, and that we're all doing the same things. That's precisely why I found some of the comments/questions out of line. We are all here because we spend a LOT of our money on a toy. I have no problem with that, and I do it proudly. It seems people get on the case of "army builders", and it comes across as oddly judgemental to me. Like what they do is less worthy than what others build. Altezza is somewhat of an anomaly to me. Not only does he have a massive army, but an incredible castle to go along with them.

That being said, I may have applied my own inferences to what people were saying. Looking back on them now, they do just seem to be curious if he got a good price. So, my mistake.

Wow, this makes me speech less. Good luck with the finishing of this project and I'm pretty sure that by the time it's done this will feature the EB front page!