Sign in to follow this  
Aussie BJ

MOC: Another Bus (with a bit of SNOT)

Hi all, there seems to be a demand for public transport around the City with a few MOC buses being built lately. Consequently I built one over the weekend and here it is.

IMG_6785%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_6822%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_6823%20(Medium).JPG

Easy access is gained by the tilting back the roof section.

Seating room for 9 minifigs plus a driver. Standing room, no idea but i reckon you could squeezed another 9 in. :tongue:

As always more picture can be found here.

Very nice. It's a nice unique roof solution there, and the SNOT techniques makes it a smooth looking build.

Love buses in general, and I think it's awesome there's a but of a bus fest this weekend :grin:

Edited by wooootles

I love the roof, I never would have thought of using those pieces, but it works! This bus gives me a 1980's vibe. Reminds me of the bus I would ride occasionally to school (it wasn't a traditional 'school bus' but rather a 'city transit' bus that ran a special route for several local schools) or on trips around town with my mom (who doesn't drive).

Found a picture of it online to show you what I'm talking about:

6787602714_6f3f815863.jpg

Sheboygan 115 1-1980 mb by mbernero, on Flickr

Edited by meyerc13

I really like the use of those 1 x 6 x 5 panels for the roof - very ingenious and the snot sides are well done.

Looks great and thanks for sharing it with us!

What I spotted first is the higher floor in the passenger section and the stairs leading up to it behind the driver and at the rear door. Very nice and realistic detail. :classic:

The way that the roof opens is also interesting and snoted windows look much better than ordinary ones. Well done!

very nice and interesting way to use those roof pieces

the yellow lego truck is too long and has taken so much space when displaying.

with your techniques , i can now shorten the lego truck to make pieces available for bus modification

Not bad 'Aussie BJ', neat roof trick indeed.....Brick On ! :wink:

Many thanks LT, Having 2 young boys who love to put minifigs in and out several thousand times a minute you just have to come up with large openings for them, otherwise they break the doors off or the roof then the mirrors and then before you know it it's just a pile of bricks again!

Very nice. It's a nice unique roof solution there, and the SNOT techniques makes it a smooth looking build.

Love buses in general, and I think it's awesome there's a but of a bus fest this weekend :grin:

Thanks wooootles, My first bus build and i have to say it won't be my last. Planning a double axle one similar to yours I think. I just want to try that neat door.

I love the roof, I never would have thought of using those pieces, but it works! This bus gives me a 1980's vibe. Reminds me of the bus I would ride occasionally to school (it wasn't a traditional 'school bus' but rather a 'city transit' bus that ran a special route for several local schools) or on trips around town with my mom (who doesn't drive).

That's a cool little bus meyerc13 and does have it's similarities to my MOC. I was afraid it was looking like an old american school bus being Yellow and at one stage it really did but I think it turned out okay.

I really like the use of those 1 x 6 x 5 panels for the roof - very ingenious and the snot sides are well done.

Looks great and thanks for sharing it with us!

Thanks eurotrash, those panels do come in handy sometimes and aren't just large wall sections.

What I spotted first is the higher floor in the passenger section and the stairs leading up to it behind the driver and at the rear door. Very nice and realistic detail. :classic:

The way that the roof opens is also interesting and snoted windows look much better than ordinary ones. Well done!

Very glad you noticed Kivi, I spent a bit of time on the stairs, as we all know it's nice to have the interiors looking good too. I could of perhaps added a bit more detail on the inside but the kids (and me) were just to keen to play with it.

That is one good-looking bus you have made. It is ingenious how you access the inside through the roof. Keep up the good work.

very nice and interesting way to use those roof pieces the yellow lego truck is too long and has taken so much space when displaying.

with your techniques , i can now shorten the lego truck to make pieces available for bus modification

Thanks PUCI, Yes it is a rather long truck isn't it? but that's a good thing for us I guess.

That is one good-looking bus you have made. It is ingenious how you access the inside through the roof. Keep up the good work.

Many thanks efullner, glad you like the easy of access through the roof. As I said above It's built this way to help my kids put minifigs in and out easier.

That's a nice bus, and obviously a very clever solution for the roof. The four-wide gap between the windscreen and the roof makes me curious, though - is there any particular reason you left it open?

That's a nice bus, and obviously a very clever solution for the roof. The four-wide gap between the windscreen and the roof makes me curious, though - is there any particular reason you left it open?

Air Conditioning??? :tongue: no, not sure what happened there but I noticed it myself the other day and I filled it in so there's no gap now.

Happy to say the bus has survived several weeks with a 3 and 8 yo playing with it. The roof does come off some times but overall it has stood the kid test and is a solid bus. Might try a few different colors when I get a chance.

That's a great bus you've built! May I borrow the windows? Those remind me of real busses with a smooth and clear view on all sides. Though I don't like the front as it's too clumsy (if that's possible for a bus :wink: ) and this way it lacks lighting and it leaves a gap between the window. Now I want to rebuilt my bus and MOD it like this one!

Very nice techniques you've used here, and good to hear that you've filled in that gap over the windscreen. Now you should add headlights. I suggest replacing the 1x2 cheese slopes on each side of the front with a yellow 1x1 slope on top with a transparent one on the bottom.

Not super crazy about the front of the bus, looks too flat I think. But I love the way the passenger compartment is a step up from the cab.

Great build, I think if you use the white 3 panel doors it could look even better.

Very nice techniques you've used here, and good to hear that you've filled in that gap over the windscreen. Now you should add headlights. I suggest replacing the 1x2 cheese slopes on each side of the front with a yellow 1x1 slope on top with a transparent one on the bottom.

Tried it out prateek, but I just realized they should of been the other way around. Changed to cheese slopes on the roof front too.

bus1.jpeg

Another different front.

bus2.jpeg

Still taking everyone's thoughts and idea's. Still not 100% happy but it's getting there.