Bonaparte

Press Release 10237 - Tower of Orthanc

About what I expected, but damn, that is just absolutely beautiful. :wub_drool: :wub_drool:

What a spectacular model! But alas i'm not prepared to dish 250 bucks for it. Also, did anyone notice the portrait of Radagast hanging on the wall?

has someone got a hankie? I've just drooled all over my keyboard...

This thing is INCREDIBLE!

Check out the video by the developers:

Within the last few hours I've grown to like that loveable Ent! Really hope they got another lotr wave planned so we get treebeard aswell!

Ok, I´m in love right now :wub: :wub:

I hope that this is not the last LOTR set.

Everyone who thinks that this is too expensive and that the eagle is ugly can sell the eagle.

To me for example. :laugh: :laugh:

Sure... 30% of the set price and you got a deal :P

ill get tower cheap then

First, I'm very happy to see a genuine BIG build for the LOTR line (as opposed to lots of small builds in a common box like most of what we've seen so far) I would have gone even bigger, but I realize there are price points to worry about and LOTR line has not yet proven that it can sustain pricey UCS models like Star Wars has done with the Falcon and super star destroyer.

I'll definitely be buying this set, partly for the set itself and partly to do my part to tell TLG, "Please make more like this..."

It's a lot of black, but then most of my spare parts collection is already either black, white or some shade of gray so that doesn't bother me in the least. It's _supposed_ to be black, you can't hold that against it.

I'm not happy about the hospital gown design (open in back) and will probably end up MOD'ing it to add a hinged backside (and perhaps a bit more height)

Definitely not happy with the molded eagle. I'd hoped the prototypes I saw in the toy fair photos for The Hobbit wouldn't be the production models, but that proved not to be the case months ago. Perhaps I'll use some variation on the brick-built Creator Fierce Flyer kit instead.

The Ent is a nice touch, I don't see why everyone seems so down on him. As Treebeard, he's terrible, but as a generic Ent? Sure, why not. As has been pointed out, the lack of Merry and Pipin and a more Treebread-esque Ent suggests that those three could be a future kit of their own.

Seeing the tower next to the designers in that video makes it look REALLY impressive. The detail in the set is stunning.

I also agree with the people here saying that giving us a random Ent is a pretty good indication that we will eventually get Treebeard :thumbup:

Absolutely stunning. Helm's Deep is the most expensive/biggest set I have ever bought, but this will be a real display piece. Pricey but so worth it for the size.

I'm a little surprised by the open back, because I really didn't think they would make this a play set. I was thinking more along the lines of Death Star II. The amount of detail is great, though. This will definitely be on my list, and will be interesting to see if any other retailers end up with it or not. I personally like the Ent, and Grima is very well done.

I like it, but the price is too much for one set (but off course considering to day i bought bricks from bricklink for 100 € so who knows :grin: , it is a tempting set)

I love the Ent, it is big and the Saruman and Grima Wormtongue figs, nice. Would hoped the Uruk and orc would had new prints.

But I feel as this guy says:

Some thoughts:

- Maybe I would have preferred a closed model without interior

I love the details inside the tower but a closed model with that Ent and Saruman, Grima, Gandalf and a few Orks with new prints would been better. Because I don´t care about play features and in a expensive, exclusive set like this i am a bit suprised there is this much of it. Hey, if one had the cash, you could always buy two of these, sell of the interior stuff or use somewhere else and make some adjustments to the tower and put the 2 thoughter. Great huh! :wink:

But great set, a tempting buy to display (it would be my first set worth to display if I get it :sweet: )

Edited by Mencot

Wow, between this set and the upcoming Corsair ship, this is going to be an expensive summer.

It’s a bit interesting that they call out that Saruman has the missing wizards staves. I don’t recall this detail in any of the books…

Wow, between this set and the upcoming Corsair ship, this is going to be an expensive summer.

It’s a bit interesting that they call out that Saruman has the missing wizards staves. I don’t recall this detail in any of the books…

It's just a cute play on one of the throwaway lines from the movie. Nowhere in lore is it implied that Saruman has the staves or keys.

Aaaawwww Yeaaaahhhh...

This this is sweet. Minifigures, detail, Treebeard, everything.

Now... Can we have Barad Dur too? :grin:

Kalhiki

This is impressive!

Also I'm very happy that I just got a job so I can possible afford this expensive set. I fell in love with it at the first sight :D

Amazing. I've never such an enormous amount of attention to detail in any set. The Ent is awesome, but the eagle is, eh, OK. This is the best exclusive set of 2013, period. :wub_drool: :wub_drool: :cry_happy:

Now that's a sweet looking design......and I love open back sets the most :wub: , I wish Lego would stop tempting the tiger ! :laugh:

Check out the video by the developers:

Wow, it looks massively huge. :oh:

Now I know I would get it for sure.

That...

That is gorgeous.

Rarely do I get this stunned by a set, but this... I absolutely have to find a way to get this. The tower is perfect. Wormtongue is perfect. The ent is perfect. The impeccably detailed interior is a massive bonus. Frankly, I don't care that it has an open back - Bag End has an open back, and it still works fine.

Looks very very VERY interesting! I love the exterior bottom build, but it is a bit pricey!