Hello everyone!

I started work on this, with the goal of having independent suspension and gearing down after the differential.

8666918845_d33aa784da_c.jpg8666920127_b685ee5bcf_c.jpg

8666921543_aca199bbd2_c.jpg8670597614_82cc00e2bd_c.jpg

8666932877_7933643970_c.jpg

8668026700_86a8cba5d9_c.jpg

I have hit a snag, hard to see, but the gearing "cracks" after the diff, because it can move from each other. Its really bad and when geared with 12t and 20t will not even move on level ground under its own power!

When geared with 8t and 24t it will move but slightest bumps will cause it to grind gears. There is just no room between the gears and universal joints for reinforcement.

You will also probably spot the plastic washer I made to stop the diffs from being torn to a pulp. Many wont approve of this, but I only have 2 good ones left! And need to protect them as they are a little pricy to replace.

This does work very well tho. :grin:

Has anyone succeeded in gearing down after the diff on independent suspension before?

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, at this point I'm going to scrap this and start again, perhaps forget about gearing down after the diff.

Edited by Doc_Brown

I think you should change the diffs and use knobs or other gears.But there is a solution that you put both sides the 24gear(you have already playced one), just put it on the other side too, i think it will stabilize the diff.(hope you understand me).

Good luck with building!!

I think you should change the diffs and use knobs or other gears.But there is a solution that you put both sides the 24gear(you have already playced one), just put it on the other side too, i think it will stabilize the diff.(hope you understand me).

Good luck with building!!

Yes I understand you, thank you! I have a set of gears both sides of the diff. I'm going to make this in lego designer and hopefully its easy to see.

Those Cv's cant carry the torque required to such big wheels...

Yes, already destroyed 2. :grin: Haha

This will not be a serious off roader, more of a display piece. But still has to move on level ground!!!

Just made this.

8668347116_0fa20b3bde_c.jpg

lego by Doc_brown1, on Flickr

Where the arrow is it grinds, just can't think how to reinforce. The universal needs to be there. :sceptic:

Edited by Doc_Brown

Well i used same solution in my previous crawler, just without diff. U need to put piece top of the 12 gear to stabilize it.(the axles on top of the diffs must be 1 sutd longer. You could use this part for top of the 12 gears:

lego_technic__axle_and_pin_connector_perpendicular_6536black.png

Your Lego model of the Patria AMV 8x8 will be cool when you finish it:

patria_amv.jpg

This is what i have come up with. I don't know if it'll work for you, but it's worth a try.

Rearaxlepic1_zps07846c3b.png

Rearaxlepic2_zps2a087c54.png

You might have too much friction in all the gearing which might contribute to the problems.

Of topic but you always have really nice pictures, what camera do you use?

tim

I have had a similar issue with a mini remote model I was working on. In my case the motor would "pop out" taking the small gear with it. Using the right gears in the right place for the size of wheel etc is very important. In your case I would make my own diff with bigger gears.

Look forward to the completed model and lots of nice pictures.

H

This is what i have come up with. I don't know if it'll work for you, but it's worth a try.

Rearaxlepic1_zps07846c3b.png

Thats fantastic! Thank you very much for that idea will have a go.

I have had a similar issue with a mini remote model I was working on. In my case the motor would "pop out" taking the small gear with it. Using the right gears in the right place for the size of wheel etc is very important. In your case I would make my own diff with bigger gears.

Look forward to the completed model and lots of nice pictures.

H

Thank you. I use a Canon 550D with standard 18-55mm lens. I got it for an insane price of $600 (elsewhere were 1000-1100) On Australia day sales last year. :laugh:

Your Lego model of the Patria AMV 8x8 will be cool when you finish it:

patria_amv.jpg

Yes I really hope so! I have 2 containers full of grey Lego plates, never been used just waiting.

I'm so excited about detailing it too, can't wait!

This worked! Thank you so much, I'm very excited. 1,000,000 points to you! :grin:

YES!!! Feeling like a legend.

I'm glad it worked, and if you need anymore help, just hit me up.

Yes, I loved 8x8 Military Vehicles, however very few people make then. :( I tried to make a BTR-80 about a year ago, however it can't scrapped due to my lack of building skills. If this is successful then I may reattempt to build it.

8668026700_86a8cba5d9_c.jpg

You will also probably spot the plastic washer I made to stop the diffs from being torn to a pulp. Many wont approve of this, but I only have 2 good ones left! And need to protect them as they are a little pricy to replace.

This does work very well tho. :grin:

WOW! This is excellent. I definitely approve of this. How did you make the plastic washer and is the plastic flexible? Great job on the 8x8wip.

WOW! This is excellent. I definitely approve of this. How did you make the plastic washer and is the plastic flexible? Great job on the 8x8wip.

I make the washers from the top of an old tumbler ware lid. I found its the perfect thickest of 1mm. Yes it is flexible, but I feel if it were more stiffer it would perform better.

It does make a heck of a difference tho, but unfortunately under very high stress will still grind gears, but does save a lot of wear and tear on the diff. :)

YES!!! Feeling like a legend.

I'm glad it worked, and if you need anymore help, just hit me up.

:sweet: Thanks again, Hopefully I will get a chance to. Unfortunately the new wheel hubs are kinda crap IMO. So I have switched to the 8070 set ones. They turn and dont "lock up" at all. Much better. Lost the gearing down after the diffs tho. :(

I bet it will look AWESOME when it is done!! :wub:

HAHA thanks, I sure hope so too.

Yes, I loved 8x8 Military Vehicles, however very few people make then. :( I tried to make a BTR-80 about a year ago, however it can't scrapped due to my lack of building skills. If this is successful then I may reattempt to build it.

Sweet! Can't remember if the BTR of the top of my head is independent or like pendulum. How did you try yours?

still waiting on my orders. Geez I hate waiting when I have so many things to do and make.

Edited by Doc_Brown

Sweet! Can't remember if the BTR of the top of my head is independent or like pendulum. How did you try yours?

still waiting on my orders. Geez I hate waiting when I have so many things to do and make.

The BTW has independant suspension. The farthest I got in my moc was only 1 axle, however I am reading through Sariel's book so when I have another attempt it will be better.

why you not use my planetary gear rims? you can use it for independent suspension too and you would have an 4 to 1 reduction within the rims

8648920342_b25fce4ea2.jpg

100_0459 von efferman auf Flickr

This is awesome! I just followed the LDD, and its great, unfortunately I just don't have enough turntable parts. But many thanks tho! :thumbup:

hi, i saw this topic, and i tried to make a more stronger transmission, i used the planetary hub idea from Efferman to make this, it is supossed to use the 8 teeth universal joint (marked in green), so, the reduction from the diff is 4:1 instead of 1:1, i hope you like it and thanks to Efferman for the planetary rim idea:

planetaryhub.png

Thanks for sharing that! It looks pretty cool, I might have time tmr to build it and test it out. Would you mind sharing the file? :)

Thanks for sharing that! It looks pretty cool, I might have time tmr to build it and test it out. Would you mind sharing the file? :)

Are you still building this model then?

Are you still building this model then?

ImanolBB's Axle? Yes. The actual AMV, I finished ages ago. :D

Edited by Doc_Brown