I'm sure the answer is in the 57 page thread below, but was hoping someone could save me some time.

Are the Unimog's wheels motorized? I just finished installing the motor and if the motor is supposed to turn the wheels I must have screwed something up in the transmission.

Thanks

If you are building according to the official instructions then the answer is no. The motor only operates the little pump or the winch on the front of the vehicle or the turntable at the back.

Phew thanks! I have been playing with lego for 40+ years and this is my first technic set. I am blown away by the complexity and engineering that goes into these sets. My appreciation of technic mocs has skyrocketed.

How the heck did you mange to motorize the wheels by mistake? :look:

You must of screwed up big time....... :blush::roflmao:

No but is possible.

But there are some pretty severe problems that you have to solve if you want to motorized the transmission and make it steerable.

The steering is the big issue, because there are two problems in the TLG reference design that makes the steering poor.

The first cause is the placement of the battery in the side, which Means that balance of the unimog is offset to that side, which is noticeable doing drive it. Secondly the steering geometry is broken, which means that it doesn't matter if you tries to steer the wheels with a pf m or pf sv, in both cases the steering will slugish. The solution is a complete rebuild that Nicjasno proposed, and it works but it is a hard build and quit part expensive.

No but is possible.

But there are some pretty severe problems that you have to solve if you want to motorized the transmission and make it steerable.

The steering is the big issue, because there are two problems in the TLG reference design that makes the steering poor.

The first cause is the placement of the battery in the side, which Means that balance of the unimog is offset to that side, which is noticeable doing drive it. Secondly the steering geometry is broken, which means that it doesn't matter if you tries to steer the wheels with a pf m or pf sv, in both cases the steering will slugish. The solution is a complete rebuild that Nicjasno proposed, and it works but it is a hard build and quit part expensive.

As for the placement of the battery box tilting the Unimog to the left you could try 'my'(?) simple solution

photo%20(10).JPG

photo%20(8).JPG

Edited by grum64

grum64 - I could be temped but I already has bed tipping inplace using one pneumatic, so that would most certanly be to weak, but else it is a nice suggestion.

I didn't get that far with my 'Mog. Had plans to but another build got in the way.

I'll get back to it one day... One day!