jtr

More train track variety, please ?

This is more of a wish list topic, but please, oh please why can't we get more train track varieties ?

I'm new to the train Lego them and thus only using PF tracks, but I really wish you could get more functional type tracks, (affordable) crossover, t-junctions, ramps, x-junctions, and + junctions (like 12volt) .. ..

Do you think Lego will release more variety ?

Re-release crossover tracks ?

And why not ?

anybody have any insights into the limited range of tracks ? is it just cost of production ?

Hear, hear...I agree 100%. They've released some cool trains recently to what? Sit on a dusty shelf?

Thanks, Joe

Edited by bjtpro

Never going to happen. It's just not financially viable. They've already released the flexi track, which was seen as the cure-all for layouts. I don't believe the double crossover track was particularly successful, for the reasons that it was too expensive to make (and therefore buy) and the functional fault of not being able to manage each switch independently. They are quite expensive on the aftermarket now which reflects their rarity. A crossover track for PF would be nice but the actual use of it and therefore sales would be limited. As for a ramp, the normal track works well enough as a ramp as the trains themselves can only take a very slight incline.

Unfortunately the only answer to the track problem is to get yourself a good razor saw and modify what is available into what you actually need.

As an addition to pinioncorp most of what you wish for is possible to build as modifications of either 9V or RC track. Take a look around Brickshelf.

As to the reason why we don't have more variety, trains are a niche theme. Themes with greater sales get more new parts. The double cross over was not a great success, so I doubt we will see to many exotic track pieces in future. I would like at least one crossing myself, but failing an official one I'm willing to build my own.

As to the reason why we don't have more variety, trains are a niche theme. Themes with greater sales get more new parts.

Unfortunately, trains will always be a secondary theme to Lego :look:.

Unfortunately, trains will always be a secondary theme to Lego :look:.

They will if the sales are low. Look at the cuusoo project linked above. It has a couple of hundred supporters after eight months, despite being a very nice suggestion. There simply isn't enough interest to compete with the more popular themes.

Edited by peterab

Maybe if model railroading in general grew again, Lego would see the use of train systems. But I dont see much chance. Lego has settled for a basic track system. I guess we should hope BBB gets the new track system working.

Whilst I would love more track options I doubt LEGO will produce them for all the reasons stated above. It is a shame that some other respected sellers have not yet come out with a range of track with wider curve etc. Maybe in the future they will, we will have to wait and hope?

As an addition to pinioncorp most of what you wish for is possible to build as modifications of either 9V or RC track. Take a look around Brickshelf.

As to the reason why we don't have more variety, trains are a niche theme. Themes with greater sales get more new parts. The double cross over was not a great success, so I doubt we will see to many exotic track pieces in future. I would like at least one crossing myself, but failing an official one I'm willing to build my own.

The track modifications you are referring to in Brickshelf were done by OnDrew J Hartigan. They are simply fantastic! Unfortunately he is no longer in business. He made an excellent ppt presentation on the subject of Track Modification and Application at Brickworld 2008 in Chicago (see brickworld_08_track_presentation). Based on this presentation, I have done several 9V track modifications myself such as (single) crossover-switches, halfcurve- switches, half and quarter straights. And yes, zap-a-gap glue works extremely well for Lego track modifications! Edited by Haddock51

Model trains weather it be L guage or real models train like HO OO and N scale are all dying in this modem world. The average age of people who are into models trains to the point where they spend a lot of cash are normaly 40+. Lego is made for 10-15 year olds, shock horror yes it is not for old men that is there target ordiance. They are all about lots of new sets to keep kids buying in a cheap price range so parents can buy. Hard core fans like us who are older than 15 proberly only fill up maybe 5% of there market, thats not just trains thats all there lines they do star wars city and so on.

Lego is expencive we all know that and takes up lots of space. It is even more expencive than normal models trains if you want to build a layout. Most of the market who would buy a current new design of lego train will only have space for a basic loop that they give in the box.

We would all love more track options but it will just never happen from lego direct. It needs to be done by a 3rd party even then i dont think sales would be supper high so that 3rd party would have to proberly do its as a love for lego trains not for profit. Modifying what we have at present is not that hard, and i bet with most of us and the years of life under our belt we could easly modify a turn out if we had a guide.

I might be an odd one out here as i am only 28 but i am an old 28y/o. wife kids and house, i have been into trains since i came into this world and i have model train layouts both N and HO and also now working on L. So there is a few young ones out there, and in saying that i am a moden day geek. I do IT for a living and been on a PC since i was 3. But there is nothing more fun that doing/fixing something with your hands.

I hear ya Lazarus. Im only 17 and Ive been into model trains my entire life. I have been working on a 12 square foot N scale layout for the past year..(yes I know, I dont get much time for it) But Im the only person I know around my age group that is into trains in any way. I dont see why more people dont like to do things with their hands anymore. Its such a rewarding feeling when you can build something from scratch.

Im sure Ben Fleskes is still working on the new track system. Though the last update was about 4 months ago. And he was working on different radius curves and such. So lets all hope he pulls through and delivers an amazing product which Im sure we all will rush to buy.

I do not think we have seen the last of the 90 degree crossing or the crossover. Companys do not throw away old tooling if it can be refurbished and all those stories about it being burried under some parking lot somewhere is just a wives tale.

Bill.

I contacted ME Models some time ago, and they were still waiting for some tooling to be able to produce the R56 curves. Progress was being made, though...

As for the model railway hobby: Maerklin is putting some effort in making kids-friendly products again and I actually spotted some of their stuff in a local toy shop. Moreover, weren't they acquired by a German toy manufacturer some time ago?

I do not think we have seen the last of the 90 degree crossing or the crossover. Companys do not throw away old tooling if it can be refurbished and all those stories about it being burried under some parking lot somewhere is just a wives tale.

The mold for the 90 degree crossover was for 9V, which left space for the conducting rails, so I can't see them ever being used again. I'm not sure re-working the mould would be cheaper than a new mould.

The crossover didn't sell very well so while the mould might be usable, there probably won't be an economic reason to use it again. The only scenario I can see that might work is the inclusion of a crossover in a large train set. Even then why not include an extra like a crane instead that might appeal to kids more.

Edited by peterab

I'd love it if they made longer tracks, not the short sections they produce now......

I had a look at the custom mods, but i can't see myself cutting good track up for that (too costly fro me).

I ended up stocking up on track but realised i don't have space for a semi permanent layout. Now I dread having to pack away all the track after a play . . . I re-pin the track in lost of four for storage.

I picked up a 9v cross-over track to plug into my rc track fingers crossed

That 9V cross over should work just fine with the PF tracks.

But I have to laugh - they're making a pack of track accessories for duplo, but not "regular" scale LEGO.

It's kind of insulting, in a way. I'm wondering how many four year olds are demanding crossovers and gates for their duplo trains.

I had a look at the custom mods, but i can't see myself cutting good track up for that (too costly for me).

Use the brown track by Enlighten for track mods, it's totally compatible and about a third of the price.