Shadows

Ameribricks: Shocking News Here

If people can't recognise a joke, they deserve to suffer from it. ~ Shadows

To those of you who understood what we were doing with the entire Ameribricks announcement, cheers, we hope you got a laugh out of it. It was only going to be a one day joke, a quick hit and run that we expected people to immediately see through. We were taking bets on how quickly every post would be "ahaha, you got us, April Fools", especially after a few of those were posted.

What we didn't expect was the amount of selfish whining we saw. Seriously. If LEGO renamed itself OGEL tomorrow, would you start an internet petition and stamp your feet and wail? Based on this experience, it seems likely. The amount of turmoil some of you were experiencing is laughably ridiculous. You were so blinded by outrage that you couldn't see the thoroughly obvious joke that was right in your faces. From the over-the-top slogan to the blinding graphics and absolutely stereotypical comments and finally the poll today, there is no excuse for anyone to think this was serious. I would strongly suggest you learn from this experience and maybe stop taking things quite so seriously. Nothing about the site changed during that time except the graphics and one topic. Nothing. Think about your response to that. Kind of sad, isn't it?

I must say, this almost turned out to be more of a psychological experiment than an April Fool's joke, but not because it wasn't a good joke, just because some of you took it so poorly. It literally ran a lot longer than expected because it was fascinating to watch just how distraught a few of you got over a name change.

Feel free to discuss this amongst yourselves and maybe, with a little introspection, you can grow a bit. The rest of you can laugh at the ones who didn't get it, but try to be nice anyway, ok? Keep it good natured, like this joke would have been, and the point might get through to them.

Whatever the case, we are and will always be Eurobricks, even though the name doesn't really fit what we do here. It's tradition, and some traditions should never be lost. At least not until the beginning of April next year, at which time we've decided to turn the site into a Portal fanfiction repository. With free cake. Would I lie to you?

Haha, As I have worked in computer site design I knew this wouldn't be a serious thing, I just wanted to wind up as many Americans as i could :devil: , Sorry guys :laugh: .

Anyway now normal service can be resumed and we can get back to our lives of tea and scones.

Yea, I was 100% sure that this was an April Fools' Joke the whole time. Why? Well...

1. You guys do it every year!
  2. The reason I love this forum is because of how moderated it is to be not offensive. The change of name to Ameribricks can be seen as offensive to many.
  3. I've been on here forever, and knowing y'all, you would NEVER do this for serious. :wink:

I was going along with the joke, but I was very close to cracking after I saw some of the outrageous comments on the two threads. It was so hilarious seeing people getting passionate and defensive all over a joke! :grin:

Shadows, that poll was genius satire. As I was about to post in the poll topic, that sort of election (with candidates who are only cosmetically different and a bunch of stubborn idi--er, people--shouting at each other) is a PERFECT illustration of actual practice in American elections. For all the legal freedoms and advantages we have (and I AM thankful for them), the American political system is still completely f***ed up; our politicians are so damn stubborn they prevent almost all meaningful change, and certainly prevent anything from happening within anything resembling a reasonable time frame.

Then again, perhaps that IS representative of the majority of Americans...I wouldn't know, I'm almost always in the minority on these things. :look:

Some of the negative reactions were funny, but also showed how precious people can be and how much they truly believe in the power of a name and their nationality.

That is really backwards. Don’t be mad at that the members (American ones offended by your stereotypes, and the stereotypes added by other members) because they didn’t “get your joke”. It was not funny to everyone, and now I also don’t think it’s funny that your now reprimanding those who thought it was not funny. Way not cool, and very disrespectful to your membership.

Best. April. Fools. Ever. The comments were absolutely hilarious. And I got to see a bunch of American videos.

Ha, Yeah I hope those are remembered. I think we should finish up with this song that perfectly sums up America

Oh and before its too late, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWW

Edited by The Joker1

Oooh - so it WAS a joke *oh2* ! It didn´t fall for it that´s for sure :grin: !

Oooh - so it WAS a joke *oh2* ! It didn´t fall for it that´s for sure :grin: !

Then why did you buy that sweet red, white and blue pickup truck? :laugh:

Well, I for one thought it was funny. Hypothetically, there was something there for everyone. Europeans (and other non-Americans) could laugh at us silly Americans, while we Americans could laugh at their silly stereotypes of us. Unfortunately, too many non-Americans took offense at the very idea of the site's name changing, and too many Americans took the hyper-patriotic pseudo-American rhetoric as an insult. I think the moral of the story is that colorful plastic bricks for kids, and their associated global fandom, are serious business.

So, if the banner remains even though the cat's out of the bag, does that mean this'll be our themed month for the rest of April? I'd love to see what people could cook up for an America-themed contest or soforth.

I should also add, I absolutely love this avatar and plan to keep it around for a while.

Don’t be mad at that the members (American ones offended by your stereotypes, and the stereotypes added by other members) because they didn’t “get your joke”.

I'm not mad at anyone, I just think it's hilarious that anyone who knows this site at all could have taken it seriously on the first of April with people directly posting that it was an obvious joke. The whole thing was so tongue in cheek that honestly, anyone who believed in it deserves a little good-natured kidding for it.

I think the moral of the story is that colorful plastic bricks for kids, and their associated global fandom, are serious business.

Very well said. :thumbup:

Keep watching for what comes next! It might be anything! :grin:

Joker1: The Hugh Laurie clip is a scream! He really knows how to ham it up!

All: I heehawed (yup we do that in the States when we laugh too hard...sounds a bit like a donkey having a good time) reading each post.

it was a brilliant April Fools Day joke that brought out the best and the worst in many folks. Artwork was priceless!

Then why did you buy that sweet red, white and blue pickup truck? :laugh:

Well ..... it´s fuel efficient, good for the enviroment, has a discreet look and is the perfect family car :cry_happy: ?

CopMike: Heehaw again! Sad to say I live in a country where the Ford F150 pickup has outsold autos in many years. Now I understand why! (And it explains why the US average family size is about 2 people now...or so. That is all that fit... considering our size... in a Ford F150.)

All: We finally broke down and bought two Toyota Prii/Priuses because we are tired of supporting the oil companies both domestic and foreign. So when are we gonna get a Lego Prius model? That's what I wanna know...

Of course I knew it was a joke. And a hilarious one at that! :laugh:

Nice work admins, can't wait for next time :sweet:

CopMike: Heehaw again! Sad to say I live in a country where the Ford F150 pickup has outsold autos in many years. Now I understand why! (And it explains why the US average family size is about 2 people now...or so. That is all that fit... considering our size... in a Ford F150.)

All: We finally broke down and bought two Toyota Prii/Priuses because we are tired of supporting the oil companies both domestic and foreign. So when are we gonna get a Lego Prius model? That's what I wanna know...

Why settle for a model? Build your OWN full-sized car powered by Power Functions, and have a 100% gasoline-free vehicle! :laugh:

Edited by Flipz

I thought the joke was pretty funny, and frankly I'm shocked that more people didn't see through the obvious facade. Those who were really digging into the American stereotypes made me laugh. Everyone knows we are a country of gluttonous, alcohol soaked, armed war-mongers. YEE-HA! :) Be prepared to be invaded!

I thought the joke was pretty funny, and frankly I'm shocked that more people didn't see through the obvious facade. Those who were really digging into the American stereotypes made me laugh. Everyone knows we are a country of gluttonous, alcohol soaked, armed war-mongers. YEE-HA! :) Be prepared to be invaded!

GASP, who would dig into american stereotypes. :look::devil:

On an unrelated note heres a picture

chinchilla233.png

I knew it as soon as I read the plan for future modifications to the site. There was no way this could be serious. Was hilarious though. :grin: