Looking good, keep up the work, I think this can be a great lego ship model,

Bart

Oh yes, it's getting there, I really like it so far,

I see you used the capstan bars like you suggested a while ago for my FD, I must say it looks very good on this ship.

I'm not going to suggest a functional capstan pirate_laugh2.gif In a ship of cb4's technique it would be very challenging I reckon and it would consume some interior details I wouldn't want to miss.

12048422423_fef5be72b3_c.jpg

There's something about the hull, the bow actually.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the hull shape, not at all, I'd even say it's perfect.

But the studs in front being orientated vertically while at the rest of the hull they are orientated under an angle is troubling for the eye, atleast for my eyes.

Yet I see no better way to close the hull at the bow so fluently.

...So ignore my note and carry on pirate_classic.gif .

Thank you all for your most kind support and feedback!

Very Nice! I agree that you shouldn't tile the hull- she looks great just the way she sits. However, the stern galleries do look a little oversized- though it may just be the angle of the photos. What do they look like from the stern?

I believe it is the angle, as they look fine to me and I recall measuring them a good while ago from the original plans. You will excuse the poor photo quality but I believe this angle makes it clearer:

600.jpg

They have and inwards curving to meet the tumblehome in a perfectly accurate and smooth way pirate_classic.gif

Looks great so far, cant wait to see more! Will you add custom rigging?

Sure! You can count on that!

I'm not going to suggest a functional capstan pirate_laugh2.gif In a ship of cb4's technique it would be very challenging I reckon and it would consume some interior details I wouldn't want to miss.

There's something about the hull, the bow actually.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the hull shape, not at all, I'd even say it's perfect.

But the studs in front being orientated vertically while at the rest of the hull they are orientated under an angle is troubling for the eye, atleast for my eyes.

Yet I see no better way to close the hull at the bow so fluently.

Well, I'll take this as a compliment pir_laugh2.gif In fact you are right about the capstan, I'd love to but as you can see it is way too far away from the catheads and running technic beams and whatnot across the hull would not only be a nightmare but also look rather ugly when the tumblehome is removed -- the capstan is more than 50 studs away from the bow!!

Now about the bow, I see what you mean but I'm glad you agree the shape is good pirate_laugh2.gif I've spent countless time building and rebuilding the bow to get a perfect shape--or as close as possible! I'd say perhaps about 10 hours building the bow ugh.gif but in the end I think the result is nice. The alternatives would be using slopes or jumpers and it would look rather odd. Still, just for comparison, though they are in a completely different scale, we have

pww2.jpg

1364013683m_DISPLAY.jpg

(http://www.mocpages.com/image_zoom.php?mocid=356786&id=/user_images/70118/1364013683m)

Which are as far as I recall the only full-hull lego ships, besides cb4's. I think you agree that both versions are pretty abnormal at the bow although CGH's Prince is so large that it gets to be pretty smooth after all pirate_laugh2.gif With better and different photos I'll later convince you that the bow doesn't look so bad after all pir_laugh2.gif

What an amazing project Frank! I really like what you are doing here, such nice shapes so many great techniques, Can't wait to see the final result!

And yes, shot from this angle the galleries look much better!

And yes, shot from this angle the galleries look much better!

Yes, they galleries do look better from that angle- and I suppose that it'll all fit perfectly once you put in the poop. She actually reminds me a lot of the Hermione being built in Rochefort.

Hi,

I'm more than glad you're still working on her. She is a most exciting project to follow and very promising. I adore the lower hull and think not using tiles is the better choice. I first thought differently, and took the liberty (hope you don't mind) to make a quick design comparison. Here's your design covered with tiles and those little slopes compared to the original.

comparison.jpg

I think especially the slopes don't generate a nice effect when put next to each other.

Can't wait to see more.

So, selfish as I am, I demand from you to build faster! pirate_satisfied.gif

Brick on!

Hi,

I'm more than glad you're still working on her. She is a most exciting project to follow and very promising. I adore the lower hull and think not using tiles is the better choice. I first thought differently, and took the liberty (hope you don't mind) to make a quick design comparison. Here's your design covered with tiles and those little slopes compared to the original.

I think especially the slopes don't generate a nice effect when put next to each other.

Can't wait to see more.

So, selfish as I am, I demand from you to build faster! pirate_satisfied.gif

Brick on!

This is still "just great" - when do we get new pictures?

pirate_laugh2.gif

I obviously don't mind you playing with this design--in fact, this WIP topic is made so that people can follow the progress. There aren't many full-hull ships built in real bricks and finished (in fact, perhaps 3 or 4 at most, as I recall) but there is no such thing as a 'tutorial' for brickbuilding a full ship. This topic, however, does not pretend to be a "full tutorial" but just a detailed log of what is happening and of the new techniques developed, so that anyone interested can use them without having to go through a lot of trouble. This is why there are some more technical posts around here. This is one of those.

I believe the construction of the bow is interesting enough to require some pictures.

Since the lower bow is empty it is required a very strong framework to support the base of the bowsprit and the entire bow structure. Moreover the bricks placed perpendicular to the vertical of the ship are fully attached and have to form a cohere structure to support the deck above it:

dsc09592.jpg

After building the framework we can place the plates directly above and complement the section between the hull and prow-fig with wedges:

dsc09594.jpg

The tiles are in fact placed to allow for the classic bow technique, with hinges, which is then possible and offers a rather smooth shape:

dsc09599.jpg

I've made a BL order to finish her and there will be pictures of the lower stern soon. In fact, that section has an interesting technique and has been an authentic nightmare but is just waiting for the right bricks to be finished.

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

Oh man, this is such an adorable project! I love every update of it. How do you want to stabilize the masts? Will there be a technic cross axle inside?

I've made a BL order to finish her and there will be pictures of the lower stern soon. In fact, that section has an interesting technique and has been an authentic nightmare but is just waiting for the right bricks to be finished.

These are the words I want to hear! I agree with Horry, It's always a joy to see a new update. And this technical one is especially enjoyable. Eagerly waiting for your personal nightmare :pir-grin:

Remember, what doesn't sink you makes you stronger. :thumbup:

Thanks for letting us be part of this venture, and good luck with the final stage!

Regards

Wow! I like it a lot, its really cool to see the process, I have been inspired!

I shall go now, to my lego… ;)

Oh man, this is such an adorable project! I love every update of it. How do you want to stabilize the masts? Will there be a technic cross axle inside?

Indeed, that is the idea! However, that part is still a bit far away…

Now, I've finished the lower stern, as promised. This is a very technical post but I think this technique is interesting enough to deserve attention.

In fact, I believe the building method employed is flexible and strong enough to allow for any stern, whatever its shape, but specially appropriate if it is similar to the stern of a frigate or a ship of the line. I also suggest, to anyone interested in building something of this complexity, to make a clean build and to build by independent components. This will only help you all the way through.

We start by making an independent module for the aftmost hull. Notice a couple of things: i) the rudder is tilled in every direction, ii) both the rudder and this component get steps to simulate an angled shape. In the original topic of cb4's there was a discussion around the rudder, which was quite gappy. I know it was fairly more angled but I believe the technique employed here is general enough to build any rudder at any angle.

dsc09610.jpg

We then build another component:

dsc09614.jpg

Let us look at the ship herself. Notice the small framework supporting the captain's cabin and also the complex shape of the hull to meet the galleries graciously.

3.jpg

We place the upper part on its position and we get 6 points of connection to the rudder-section (it is not clear in this image but the captain's cabin section has another 2 pins joining the rudder-section):

dsc09617.jpg

And finally, everything is in its place and we get a very accurate shape:

dsc09607.jpg

The stern is almost gapless I don't think I can do much better here. On a later stage, when the higher stern has been finished, there will be photos from other angles to prove that everything is tight and closed, as it is supposed to be pirate_classic.gif

Excellent!

In my eyes the most promising hull technique. Especially since you made it modular, and therefore adaptable to a wide range of ship types. :pir-wub: Great work! My prefered part so far is the lower stern, gives me the wanting to try myself at a full hull, too.

Can't wait to see her finished.

BTW, should you be looking for some inspiration on interior details, check out these pictures of Hermione!

Regards

I neglected to comment on this when it was fresh but I've no shame of bumping it now that I have a moment to look back over what I missed. This is a spectacular and innovative build, something dear to my heart. The hull shape is amazing and I do rather like the stern gallery. I have to agree to her likeness to Hermione and she is a lovely ship. At first I was a bit trepidatious about your concept to merge techniques and make modular gunwales. It seemed that the lower portion wouldn't match up with upper works, the former seeming smoother/rounder as is it's intent. Looking at your execituion, however I can see your sections match up rather well, likely the result of jumper plates. I'm anxious to see more of her upper works complete as to finish out her lines. I do have one concern about the design which it'd be great if you could shed some light on.  How do you plan to approach the rigging and how will it impact the modularity? I took a look back at Æneias and where that rig works, it's is significantly simpler than that of a frigate and a lot less intricate than what I'd like to see atop this master work (in progress). All in all, great work! Can't wait for future updates.

I neglected to comment on this when it was fresh but I've no shame of bumping it now that I have a moment to look back over what I missed. This is a spectacular and innovative build, something dear to my heart. The hull shape is amazing and I do rather like the stern gallery. I have to agree to her likeness to Hermione and she is a lovely ship. At first I was a bit trepidatious about your concept to merge techniques and make modular gunwales. It seemed that the lower portion wouldn't match up with upper works, the former seeming smoother/rounder as is it's intent. Looking at your execituion, however I can see your sections match up rather well, likely the result of jumper plates. I'm anxious to see more of her upper works complete as to finish out her lines. I do have one concern about the design which it'd be great if you could shed some light on. How do you plan to approach the rigging and how will it impact the modularity? I took a look back at Æneias and where that rig works, it's is significantly simpler than that of a frigate and a lot less intricate than what I'd like to see atop this master work (in progress). All in all, great work! Can't wait for future updates.

About the rigging, I'm not specially concerned. I have to state at this moment that I am not terribly motivated for this project any more. I intend to finish it, that is sure; but slowly. The custom part of this is another matter. I can say the rigging can get as intricate as you will, since she is absolutely solid at the moment. There is just no way it can interfere with modularity since it is absolutely independent of the tumblehome.

I'd like to quote myself from somewhere else in order to justify my lack of updates:

I haven't worked very hard in her lately because I kinda lost my driving force. I started this project as a challenge to prove that I had a technique general enough to build any full-hull ship, even with interior! I had not a very precise idea of how to do this, to be honest :laugh: But I actually did! I had a lot of issues to solve and new techniques to come up with, both to ensure her strength and shape. However, now most of this is done, I have a fair notion of how to build a bow with hinges and hoses--there is in fact a standard technique for doing this--and I've already developed every technique I would need, so I have no more "challenges" to face, just a lot of details to polish.

Still, updates are coming, even if at a very slow pace. In particular this means that I'm not sure until which extent she will have a very complete rigging and sails. I'm doing this for the technical challenge itself, not for the finished product.

dsc00029.jpg

dsc00031.jpg

(in principle there will be an extra gunport at the bow)

The stern is now (almost!) finished, only missing two lamps and her name on the white tile.

2000.jpg

Notice that the galleries have a very correct and intricate shape. Here are some details to prove my point:

dsc00030.jpg

dsc00033.jpg

In fact, they are folded inward, as they should be pirate_classic.gif

Finally, to prove her strength and for size comparihison, she can safely be held (notice how I am holding her by the extremities), the only difficulty being her weight (she's a tad heavy by now).

2001.jpg

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

She looks good, I must say that the galleries look very complex, I'm wondering if it really is nescesary.

Maybe it's just the angle of the camera but on that last picture it looks as if the window goes down near the stern.

I suppose it's impossible to get it 100% right since there aren't any parallellogram-shaped windows available (nor trapezoid for that matter).

Just incase you would be looking for an easy alternative...pirate_laugh2.gif

Attaching the galleries directly to the angled section of the tumblehome using hinge plates works well for me.

dsc08814.jpg

Also, when you look at the sideview you do see a parallellogram-shape (atleast in the first window)

dsc08825.jpg

EDIT: Upon further examination I think it really is the angle of the picture, the window stays even, right?

Edited by Sebeus I

Ah, finally update-day pirate_laugh2.gif!

I have to say, I really like her shape, especially in that last picture the lines seem very accurate and harmonious. And kudos on the galleries, they look splendid in my eyes, you really maxed out those LEGO windows pirate_wubnew.gif. It's too bad you've lost interest in 'going for the finished product', but I understand your reasoning, as it seems you've already solved every technical issue about her design... Or haven't you?! ... Hmm, I don't really find any words that could spur you on... maybe reverse psychology... Don't you dare finish her perfectly in a reasonable time!...

Ok, your creation is such a beautiful WIP, I don't mind waiting for the finished product. And however 'unfinished' that might be, I'm sure it'll still have been worth the time.

However, I hope for you and us you'll find another technical challenge in the field of ship building or beyond soon... ever thought about applying your full hull onto a ship of the line?! pirate_wink.gif

Keep it up!

Le me rephrase that she will certainly be finished, in terms of Lego part and whatnot. I can't way exactly when this will happen but I'm pointing towards summers holidays. She will also have a rigging, that is sure, and I hope that a rather complete one; maybe I'll just skip the sails, to get a clean view of the deck.

Just incase you would be looking for an easy alternative...pirate_laugh2.gif

EDIT: Upon further examination I think it really is the angle of the picture, the window stays even, right?

The galleries are indeed too intricate…Yours look very nice :thumbup: Mine are indeed horizontal, but notice the size difference. It really depends upon what you are aiming. Your galleries look very convincing, I must say so; however, were they larger, I don't think they would look as good. Notice that in fact the galleries should go outwards in the direction of the stern as far as possible.

Wow, excellent work! She is coming along great! The stern gallery is especially nicely done (I feel really wrong now for once saying that it seemed too big pirate_blush.gif ).

Looking excellent Frank! The angle on the side galleries really is impressive. The stern as a whole is extremely well built.

My god, so nice! I remember a guy on MOCpages who did exactly like you do! So beautiful, also, the technique of the hull is very nice. Not everyone uses it, so stay at that way, and keep using it, because I love it! I can't wait to see it in it's final state.

~ Eddie