Sebeus I

Pirate Brig: The Zephyr

[pid][/pid] 147D

dsc09118.jpg

The Tournament of Retrebution is over, it's time to lose the uniform and return to piracy :pir-classic:

But that nice first prize is getting a good spot in my cabin.

dsc09129.jpg

The cabin of my last latest ship ofcourse, I present you; the Zephyr.

A 12 gun pirate brig with a color scheme similar to that of those fancy frigates of Captain Green Hair and Bonaparte Napoleon (see Captain Green Hair's tutorial).

The tumblehome technique however is my simplified version like I used before on my previous ships; (the Beauty, Merchant Brig, Barquentine and HMS Intersector).

This ship started as an experiment but eventually it became a finished ship after all.

(You might have seen it in my round 2 TOR entry, it had black-striped sails then).

dsc09103.jpg

The deck of this ship consists out of brick bricks, so far I haven't seen those used for this purpose but that's probably because they aren't that great for it anyway, they make it look out of scale.

I saw Legonardo using brick bricks for the walls of a cabin, that looked good.

(Just incase you don't know, brick bricks have two different sides, one side are bricks, the other side are planks (how I like to call them atleast).

dsc08732.jpg

dsc08722.jpg

It's an experiment, this ship has 126 brick bricks in it, I know that because it are all of my brick bricks and I bought those on only two different occasions (one being part of LUGbulk).

dsc08725.jpg

I'm more happy with how the cabin turned out, particulary the galleries.

dsc09073.jpg

dsc08835.jpg

dsc08814.jpg

The name is Connor :grin: (Assassins Creed reference).

dsc08825.jpg

dsc08800.jpg

Sigh, my rigging really is outdated :sceptic:, While building this ship I've never considered it a keeper so It wouldn't have been worth the effort to equip it with costum rigging (frustrating work with ropes and knots :sick: ).

But now that it's finished I kind of love it.

I hope you like it, more pictures can be found in my brickshelf gallery.

I will also bring this ship to Belug's yearly event; Brickmania Wetteren (4 and 5 May), along with other ships (among them the Flying Dutchman with a few modifications) and a small port (which served well as decor for my third round TOR entry), It will all be part of a huge pirate layout.

dsc09152.jpg

A great part of the side of the ship is attached in one piece, including the galleries, only the stern windows and the bow section are directly build on the ship's hull.

dsc09149.jpg

dsc09148.jpg

dsc09144.jpg

The detachable sides are held in place using cheese slopes, there's a 1/2 stud ofset in the middle of the ship.

dsc09155.jpg

dsc09157.jpg

dsc09156.jpg

One of the ships at BM Wetteren? :laugh:

I love how the brick-bricks turned out as floor!

Also a very nice cabin :classic:

Sweet shape, sweet curves!! The brick bricks look decent but I don't think they be used with much success in a larger because the planks are too small...

LOL, i was planning to do exactly this (Exept for i would burn my uniform)

Im still gonna do it though.

Btw. Great ship

One of the ships at BM Wetteren? :laugh:

Yes, let's see if your fortified port city can stand up to my fleet :devil: .

This looks amazing! This ship is like a little miniature version of Captain GH's!

Almost forgot, I took some pictures that give a clear view of its construction for you, check the spoiler at the end of the first post.

I hope they help you in making your own ship.

Sweet shape, sweet curves!! The brick bricks look decent but I don't think they be used with much success in a larger because the planks are too small...

I agree, particulary when I place minifigures on the ship it becomes obvious that the planks are too small.

LOL, i was planning to do exactly this (Exept for i would burn my uniform)

You might still need the uniform :grin: .

Edited by Sebeus I

Almost forgot, I took some pictures that give a clear view of its construction for you, check the spoiler at the end of the first post.

I hope they help you in making your own ship.

Cheers! I will hopefully start construction late this month. If you don't mind, I will try as hard as I can to copy this ship.

Congrats on the TOR win. The ship is small, but like a walnut, hides its surprises. Using tan brick bricks (is that the proper term?) for the floor is very impressive. By the way, where do you sleep in the ship. That cabin looks too small.

It's really a lovely brig! I specially like the SNOT Deck made from the tan wallbricks - nice use of these!

The colour sheme works well since it's been around for quite a while. (I myself have a WIP with the same.)

The only thing which I personally didnt't like is the black underneath the gun stripe - of course I know it's only there because of the prefab hulls you used. by the way - which set are they from? I know the brown - dark grey ones from the old imperial flagship...

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

Cheers! I will hopefully start construction late this month. If you don't mind, I will try as hard as I can to copy this ship.

No problem, you can always vary in the color scheme (although I do think the dark red / black looks great). Good luck

By the way, where do you sleep in the ship. That cabin looks too small.

Well spotted, interior is still a major issue on my small-hull ships :grin: .

The only thing which I personally didnt't like is the black underneath the gun stripe - of course I know it's only there because of the prefab hulls you used. by the way - which set are they from? I know the brown - dark grey ones from the old imperial flagship...

I split hulls to re-combine to this one, which reminds me, there even is a tutorial here at Classic Pirates,

Splitting Hulls

(I used the one from the old imperial flagship and the one from the Timecruisers ship, at the same time I combined a copletely dark gray hull.

Anyway, I would have prefered a totally brown hull but unfortunatly these don't exist for small type hulls, I do know it's possible to make a completely black hull but I have yet to come in possesion of those hulls.

Amazing creation. I thing it is the first time I see a wooden floor made out of the brick brick, I already saw other floor with this technique, but I got to admit that the wooden effect is really there! Well done.

ohw man thast awesome! I thought of it, I only have 10 dk tan brick bricks though and im not sure how it would look like in bley. great MOC all the same, insane floor texture

As others said before, I really like the brick bottom! :wink:

That was a great idea :thumbup: .

Nice ship! I all the little details you have included, especially those smooth tiles.. I like smooth tiles... Lol. Well done!

A pirate with a skirt around his neck? :laugh:

But you are right, I should loose the red cloth too. :devil:

Your shape looks great, nicely shaped small cabin and a brilliant idea for decking! :wub:

The only improvement I can think of (sorry for nagging...again) is the headrails. They seem a bit too low and I'm missing the second and third rail and the vertical beams that connect them and form a railing.

I love this creation Sebeus, even with the simple rigging, or maybe because of the simple rigging, It fits the ship, in a positive way.

It looks very properly build with a good eye for lines and proportions.

Bart

Your shape looks great...

Thanks, I always knew that...wait what?

The only improvement I can think of (sorry for nagging...again) is the headrails. They seem a bit too low and I'm missing the second and third rail and the vertical beams that connect them and form a railing.

Yes, I felt there was something out of place with the headrails, a second and third headrail, I'll look into that, Most of my ships suffer from this issue :grin: .

I love this creation Sebeus, even with the simple rigging, or maybe because of the simple rigging, It fits the ship, in a positive way.

It looks very properly build with a good eye for lines and proportions.

Bart

Thanks, I'm glad you like the rigging, I wasn't so sure about it myself.

Commander Red Hat, on 10 April 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Your shape looks great...

Thanks, I always knew that...wait what?

Who's been messing with my post? I of course meant...aaarghh..never mind! :laugh:

I love all of your ships Sebeus. I'd like to see your entire fleet together (Maybe engaging in battle pirate_satisfied.gif ).

Thanks, I may do that sometime,

for now this comes pretty close (there are ships by other builders as well).