El Bucanero

The HMS Unclaimable, version 1 finished

Wow, I only provided 1 pict of a hull, and already 49 replies :-P .

BUt pic will come today, and I'm gonna ask for advice...

Wow, I only provided 1 pict of a hull, and already 49 replies :-P .

BUt pic will come today, and I'm gonna ask for advice...

We are really trying hard to keep your thread running Mr. Tiber :-D

And have high expectations for your ship!

Okay, here are the pics I promised you:

the_unclaimable.jpg

And here are the "crew's quarters"(beds will come soon):

crew_quarters.jpg

And now I'll ask some advice. What do you think is better? This:

crew_quarters.jpg

or this:

crew_quarters_ii.jpg

My arguments:

Reasons to choose 1.:

You can have more figs on the deck than in 2.

Reasons not to choose 1.:

There is no space to walk around the beams.

Reasons to choose 2.:

There's more space

Reasons not to choose 2.:

You can't have as much figs as in 1.

But what do you all think?

More advice needed:

Do you think it's smart to have crew's quarters? I don't want the ship to look fat... but the crew's quarters make the ship 2 studs higher, and that could make it look fat... Or not?

Reasons to choose 1.:

You can have more figs on the deck than in 2.

Reasons not to choose 1.:

There is no space to walk around the beams.

Reasons to choose 2.:

There's more space

Reasons not to choose 2.:

You can't have as much figs as in 1.

But what do you all think?

I would go for option 1. Try to get as much crew on the ship as possible :-D

More advice needed:

Do you think it's smart to have crew's quarters? I don't want the ship to look fat... but the crew's quarters make the ship 2 studs higher, and that could make it look fat... Or not?

Good question...

I decided not to have crew quarters on L'Orient (I was also using the standard hull pieces).

It will be more difficult to make the ship look sleek, but it might not be impossible... . You will need some more time to do some experimenting. Maybe have a look at the ships in the index to see if there is one with the desired height on the standard hull that still looks good.

Edit: Why not use MLCad to do some experimenting with the hull?

the_unclaimable.jpg

Oh, that was a ship? I thought that you went up against the HMS Bellephron and that was the coffin for the crew...Lol :-D .

I would go for option 1. Try to get as much crew on the ship as possible :-D

Good point!

Good question...

I decided not to have crew quarters on L'Orient (I was also using the standard hull pieces).

It will be more difficult to make the ship look sleek, but it might not be impossible... . You will need some more time to do some experimenting. Maybe have a look at the ships in the index to see if there is one with the desired height on the standard hull that still looks good.

I already found one: La Victoria

08.jpg_thumb.jpg

It has a 3 brick high crew quarters, and it doesn't look very fat. However, this ship is 7 mid sections long, and the Unclaimable is only 6. Aside from that, the Unclaimable is supposed to be a very different than this ship ship...

Edit: Why not use MLCad to do some experimenting with the hull?

Mhhh, sounds like a good idea, although, I'm not good with MLCad...

I already found one: La Victoria

It has a 3 brick high crew quarters, and it doesn't look very fat. However, this ship is 7 mid sections long, and the Unclaimable is only 6. Aside from that, the Unclaimable is supposed to be a very different than this ship ship...

If you limit yourself to 3 bricks for the crew quarters, then it will be possible.

Mhhh, sounds like a good idea, although, I'm not good with MLCad...

Just join the "Z"-course on MLCad.

After about 2 hours I could reproduce the Sentry Box of Mr. Phes and now I even know how to make instructions.

Okay, I decided not to have crew's quarters. It would make the ship too high... I can't get my hands on the camera yet so pictures will come later.

Tumblehome... Not a piece of cake...

There are several ways to get the tumblehome effect.

You can use tall slopes. (nr 75, not nr 65 because those only come in 2 x 2) Like on this fine ship:

broadsideclosed.jpg

But you can also use "normal" slopes like on L'orient.

hull-orient.jpg

I myself prefer the look of the tall slopes...

What do you all think? I need to make a decision...

"Z"-course on MLCad.

After about 2 hours I could reproduce the Sentry Box of Mr. Phes and now I even know how to make instructions.

I have turned you! and Phred said he hated Empires... well an empire with boney and Phes can't be all that bad!

As for the ship... the crew's quarters would almost certainly be below the water line, so it is hard to get one on a LEGO® version that still looks not to bulky. Besides which, crew often just slung hammocks between the guns at night anyhow!

As for the Tumblehome, your new favorite topic... well I have used the taller ones on both the Venganza (Old Arbiter) and the Covenant. I used a different approach, but I think both ships are okay. I guess though realistic and better than going straight up, as LEGO ships, I would go with whatever works the best, even if not historically accurate.

Okay, I decided not to have crew's quarters. It would make the ship too high... I can't get my hands on the camera yet so pictures will come later.

You can use tall slopes. (nr 75, not nr 65 because those only come in 2 x 2) Like on this fine ship:

Here are my reasons for making the hull of L'Orient like I did:

1. I needed more space inside the ship (gundeck), to have 4 studs between the backs of the cannons when there are inside the ship. Otherwise there was too little room on the gundeck and the cannons would be almost back-to-back.

2. The upper-deck of L'Orient is 4 studs wider than the one with the tall slopes. This is especially useful if you want to place some cannons on the deck.

3. To create the effect that was recently identified as "The tumblehome effect" :-D

Oh, that was a ship? I thought that you went up against the HMS Bellephron and that was the coffin for the crew...Lol :-D .

Commodore,

Is this your ship?

Do you have any pics to post of the HMS Bellephron? You should post them. *y*

P

Commodore,

Is this your ship?

Do you have any pics to post of the HMS Bellephron? You should post them. *y*

P

I think that Mr. Norrington was refering to the HMS Bellerophon.

I think that Mr. Norrington was refering to the HMS Bellerophon.

Oops.

You're probably right 8-|

If what B says is true, Norrington, then nevermind :-/

But that's because that ship isn't expanded by slopes... But, what do you like better, tall slopes or the way you did it on l'Orient?

I'd prefer the use of the taller slopes if possible. Or a combination of 3, 2, or 1 brick high slopes maybe.

I would have liked to use mostly 3 brick high slopes on the Dame du Loup, but i didn't have nearly that many bricks :-$ I think it looks pretty good with various heights in slopage.

P

If you expand the ship with inverted slopes, then both are possible. I have no special preference.

What kind of slopes do you have most (the high or low ones)?

Oops.

You're probably right 8-|

If what B says is true, Norrington, then nevermind :-/

I'd prefer the use of the taller slopes if possible. Or a combination of 3, 2, or 1 brick high slopes maybe.

I would have liked to use mostly 3 brick high slopes on the Dame du Loup, but i didn't have nearly that many bricks :-$ I think it looks pretty good with various heights in slopage.

P

Who-what-where-now? I thought yu would know about Paladin's HMS Bellephron, as you have posted in the thread.

Who-what-where-now? I thought yu would know about Paladin's HMS Bellephron, as you have posted in the thread.

Well, perhaps he thought the HMS Bellephron and the HMS Bellerophon were different ships...

Well, perhaps he thought the HMS Bellephron and the HMS Bellerophon were different ships...

No, I'm just horrible at remembering names of people and their ships. :S

That's all. X-D

P

What? They aren't the same? X-D

broadsideclosed.jpg

hull-orient.jpg

Coming back on the tumblehome discussion, this is a good example using the tall slopes.

Also the stern has the tumblehome-effect. But I'm not 100% sure how the stern is constructed...

seatop7.jpg

Coming back on the tumblehome discussion, this is a good example using the tall slopes.

Also the stern has the tumblehome-effect. But I'm not 100% sure how the stern is constructed...

seatop7.jpg

That's a nice ships. A real Richie Dulin! X-D I seems the tumblehome at the gun ports is made by a mix of tall slopes, normal slopes and 75 slopes... But there's only 2 studs between the guns, so there can be slope 65s or slope 75s... Where's that Legeaux fellow??

EDIT:

FYI:

This is slope 65: 3678.png

And this is slope 75: 3684.png

Mr Tiber

UPDATE!

The ship is now 5 mid sections instead of 6, because of several reasons:

1. Same reason as why I decided not to build a 2 decker

2. The Acheron needed another mid section

3. This is a sister ship of the Unpredictable which had 5 mid sections.

I'll post pictures ASAP

Mr Tiber

Good to hear, I cannot wait for the pictures.

Same here. Looking forward to see those pictures Mr. Tiber!