soundwave_sw

Winter Village: First Aid / Search & Rescue cabin

It took a while but I'm excited to share my entry for the expand the Winter Village contest!

The story:

A couple years ago this quiet mountain community became popular as word of mouth began to spread about this charming village. First came the log cabins, ski chalets, candy stores, and coffee shops. Last year my Winter Sports Store opened up. This resulted in many citizens and tourists getting lost, stranded, and injured as they went skiiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, hiking, skating, ice fishing sledding, etc.

Thus the need for a first aid station and search & rescue headquarters for the village. So an abandoned army radar station was put to good use and a refurbished MASH helicopter was donated to assist with transporting the injured and stranded back to safety.

8423083948_c83fae0442_c.jpg

^^entry overview with Helicopter, crashed skiier, snowboarder kids, injured guy on crutches, snowmobile, ice fisherman

8423096546_2ede148320_c.jpg

^ interior view. consisting of emergency clinic, weather/dispatch station, and workshop

8423100776_71c02dafea_c.jpg

^ As with the other WV sets, this one also has a light brick used in a unique way

8423096110_f4570b5d34_c.jpg

^ Time to tune up the Skidoo!

8421989341_eaa80c8929_c.jpg

^ rough day on the slopes!

More pictures are here : http://www.flickr.co...s/43769067@N08/

Builder notes:

- I intentionally left out some Christmas decorations as it felt wrong to add them in late January.

- Thanks to the CMF boxer's, I now have mittens in 2 colors for my kids to keep their hands warm!

-The Helicopter is modelled after a BELL 47 aka H-13 Sioux made famous in the old TV show MASH

-All decals are from older Lego sets

Thanks for looking!

Edited by soundwave_sw

Great idea. I like the vehicles alot, especially the tail of the chopper. I also like the use of the lightbrick. Best of luck!

Nice work - I think the color combo works well and that interior is chock full of details and stuff. I particularly like the use of the light brick and the patients broken leg.

There does seem to be a lot of carnage in the scene so it's a good job that the Winter Village does have a First Aid station - although the patients seem to be outnumbering the mobile!

Good luck and thanks for sharing it with us!

Another nice entry. It feels much safer now up in the mountains with your service. The used of boxer's equipment for mittens is great. So is the x-ray machine with light brick. Well done.

Great work soundwave_sw!! I love it! The skidoo is absolutely fantastic! And not to mention the helicopter... You don't know how many times I tried to build a decent one for my winter village, and every time I gave up! Yours is brilliant!!

Good luck in the contest!

The helicopter is brilliant - definitely very M*A*S*H! (and I love the engine detail!) the rest of the set is equally impressive (the hut is certainly well equipped!)

Excellent stuff!

Edited by greg3

I love it, especially the X-Ray viewer and the snowmobile. Very nice design all around. It's a little odd to see a helicoper in the Winter Village, but the chopper is nicely built and is even accurate for the loosely defined time period of WV. Great entry overall!

I love it, especially the X-Ray viewer and the snowmobile. Very nice design all around. It's a little odd to see a helicoper in the Winter Village, but the chopper is nicely built and is even accurate for the loosely defined time period of WV. Great entry overall!

Thanks Gryphon Ink. The vehicle designs were intentionally designed to be era vague.

Great work soundwave_sw!! I love it! The skidoo is absolutely fantastic! And not to mention the helicopter... You don't know how many times I tried to build a decent one for my winter village, and every time I gave up! Yours is brilliant!!

Good luck in the contest!

Thanks Priovit. Both were challanging builds. I was able to get the treads on the Skidoo to be functional.

Great idea. I like the vehicles alot, especially the tail of the chopper. I also like the use of the lightbrick. Best of luck!

Thanks snaillad. The tail was deffinatley the make or break for the model. Although it didnt turn out as clean as i planned, the technique is actually quite strong.

I should have taken more pics of the helicopter.

Thanks everyone else for the comments.

Great work :thumbup: :thumbup: I love the interior, the helicopter and the snowmobile :wub: Poor skier upside down in the snow :laugh:

Edited by Wedge09

Nice job soundwave_sw! I really like the interior, especially the light behind the x-ray slide. The whirly-bird and snowmobile are excellent, as well :classic:

Thats a brilliant entry you have made there. So many different area's catch your attention. Wish TLG would bring out a yellow rescue helicopter. The skido is magic. Well done on that part. I like the interior also but maybe if I was the casualty I wouldn't be too happy if the rescuer brought his skidoo into the hut and started servicing it lol. The X-ray with back light is an ingeneous bit of detailing. Good luck with your entry.

Not sure what to say but good work, i like what you did with the light brick, and the tail of the chopper was excellent

Cool looking set. The use of the light brick is nice. The helicopter reminds me of one from... ahem... playmobil I played with during my childhood days. :grin:

Great job! I love the integration of the light brick, wow! And that shot...the cast. :laugh: Neat vehicles too, chopper build is interesting and a nice fresh take on one that we haven't seen.

Nice build. Good use of parts. Not sure I would want to have opened wounds in the same room as the snowmobile repair shop. :classic:

Helicopter is my favorite part on this diorama. Well done, even with the inclusion of the story. Keep building.

Very nice build. Great helicopter. It's a good thing they converted the old radar station as there appear to be quite a few accidents occuring in the general vicinity :grin:

Thats a brilliant entry you have made there. So many different area's catch your attention. Wish TLG would bring out a yellow rescue helicopter. The skido is magic. Well done on that part. I like the interior also but maybe if I was the casualty I wouldn't be too happy if the rescuer brought his skidoo into the hut and started servicing it lol. The X-ray with back light is an ingeneous bit of detailing. Good luck with your entry.

due to the high cost of fuel, the budget was blown with too many helicopter trips. hopefully they can install a wall to divide the room with the next fiscal budget :wink:

Cool looking set. The use of the light brick is nice. The helicopter reminds me of one from... ahem... playmobil I played with during my childhood days. :grin:

Thanks! at least you didnt say ...megablocks :wacko:

Nice build. Good use of parts. Not sure I would want to have opened wounds in the same room as the snowmobile repair shop. :classic:

Thanks Dr Spock. most injuries are just bumps and bruises but I will make sure the snowmobile stays outside should you visit the station. :laugh:

Very nice build. Great helicopter. It's a good thing they converted the old radar station as there appear to be quite a few accidents occuring in the general vicinity :grin:

Having many incidents take place in the vicinity greatly improves the response time average :wink:

Thanks everyone for the comments

I really like the humor of this one. It's a perfect juncture between Winter Village - cute and playful - and City - crime and disaster around every corner.

Edited by eliza

Genius :grin:

The xray is my favourite one here, or the snow mobile, or the ... man, I can't decide... on the first look I was not very impressed, but after seeing all the details I am now :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing and good luck

I'm not entirely convinced this would fit with the Winter Village series, but I love how you have fitted out the interior of this building, especially the x-ray. Very ingenious. I also like the look of the "Skidoo" and helicopter. Well done!

Amazing! Truly inspiring! I was just wondering what pieces are those that make the Helicopter tail? Both the long yellow lines and the yellow mini figure like arms that hold them together, what are those? I have never seen them? :o Wonderful creation, so talented!

I'm not entirely convinced this would fit with the Winter Village series, but I love how you have fitted out the interior of this building, especially the x-ray. Very ingenious. I also like the look of the "Skidoo" and helicopter. Well done!

Yeah even I might not keep the building for my own Winter Village as it doesnt really fit. But the Helicopter and skidoo turned out better than i hoped and I will definately keep them intact.

Amazing! Truly inspiring! I was just wondering what pieces are those that make the Helicopter tail? Both the long yellow lines and the yellow mini figure like arms that hold them together, what are those? I have never seen them? :o Wonderful creation, so talented!

The tail is made up of this piece http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=75c15 in yellow which comes in various lengths. Minifigs hands can be squeezed in thier for a snug fit.