General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I think they need to make a Mount Doom set. Come on the most important scene takes place there as that's where the objective is reached! It would be interesting to see what Lego comes up with on doing a volcano. Set should be large-ish and come with a battered Frodo, a battered Sam, an evil-looking Gollum, and Gandalf the White on an Eagle.

atreyu2112, I agree with you, Treebeard is a very important character and he won't be too easy to customize with the current Ent form the Orthanc set, as I doubt anyone would spend $200 or £170 just to get an Ent to customize into Treebeard.

Like mostly everyone else, Minas Tirith and Balrog along with several other already mentioned minifigures have to be made. I would love to see battle pack sets and an oliphant. Then the farewell ship would be a nice last set with an old Bilbo Baggins.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Mott the Brick

That didn't deter generations of Tolkien fans from enjoying the works and it didn't prevent Sauron from being a credible threat. Intangible is sometimes scarier than tangible.

I agree. I just know when Sauron was brought up before a lot of people commented that he doesn't appear in physical form as if that matters for making him into a minifigure. Even if it's just an image, i think Lego should make him. He appears in the prologue and his image appears several times in the LotR and the Hobbit. Even if it's just an image Lego does ghost-like figures all the time anyways. And regardless of all of this they threw the Hobbit dwarves in their Bo5A gear in a DoS set so I am sure a Sauron minifigure would be fine.

Why does people go on about stuff we've already gotten? The one thing we need is characters we haven't got yet. You can build your own Mt. Doom, but you can't make, say, a Faramir, Eowyn or Sauron minifig.

Why does people go on about stuff we've already gotten? The one thing we need is characters we haven't got yet. You can build your own Mt. Doom, but you can't make, say, a Faramir, Eowyn or Sauron minifig.

I completely agree. I can always make a Minas Tirith or Balrog on my own. It may be a lot more difficult and expensive than just buying a nice, neat packaged set, but at least the possibility is there. Making Lego quality minifigures is near impossible though. Sure you can do customs and get pad printed figures or what have you, but they still aren't the same.

This is why I don't understand why some people want certain sets so bad. Treebeard for instance... I get he might be a favorite character but we already have an ent you can either MOD with relative ease, or at the very least use as a starting point for your own Treebeard. Even if we didn't have that you could still make your own brick built version as many did for years before the LotR line was released. The set would offer nothing terribly new or exciting besides a Grishnak minifigure who is not that important.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Treebeard and wouldn't mind a set of him.. but I really want to see a set that features Eowyn, the Witch King, and Gondor Soldiers first. After them Faramir and Sauron would probably be next up, followed by Gothmog and Haradrim. Thinking of it from a strategic point of view and not an emotional one, this would be most beneficial.

Edited by Deathleech

Amazingly Lego Dimensions has created an opening for some not yet done characters. Based on the revealed pictures we get an idea of what the ideas sets will look like. Say a mixture of CMF's and SW Microfighters. But here's the key thing. We have seen some new character parts in the pics, such as the Portal Gun. add to this that LotR's is pretty much a sausage fest, so to broaden the fan base they may seek to include some female characters in the game from all major franchises, and I would think we have a good shot at Eowyn showing up there. The Witch King too. Faramir sadly not so much as he is a bit obscure for the gaming fans.

I agree with Deathleech, it's the printed stuff I would most like to have. Builds I can and already do myself - Mt Doom, Balrog, Ents can all be made out of parts I own. But printed Gondor uniforms and armor, as well as, facial printing is the biggest deal for me and what I can't readily replicate.

Just the fact that lego did a wicked witch pack, tells me that they will do villain packs, so hopefully we will see a Sauron and a Witch King.

Well for the bodies of the gondorian soldiers I can just use the bodies of the Lego Castle minifigs and some of the Kingdoms knights like the one in 7949 with the mostly silver armour. Witch-king can be a regular ringwraith body but the problem would be the helmet. Those figures can be custom made for the most part. Are there any links with new sets confirmed (and maybe pictures)?

Mott, there are no new sets confirmed outside of the four Dimensions sets with Gandalf, Gollum, Gimli, and Legolas. There are tiny Middle Earth builds with all of them except Gandalf also comes with Batman and Wildstyle.

But we also see a lot of Middle Earth promoted in the game. There has to be at least one level on it.

So the speculation is why LEGO would promote something that has been over for years until it is going to return on some level or another. I hope for LotR getting at least one Direct to Consumer (D2C) set similar to what The Simpsons is getting.

Since the first news of Dimensions, though, we see that Chima is getting several sets and their line is supposed to end this year. So we continue to speculate because that is what we like to do.

Can we expect some new Lotr characters at last in september release? What do u guys think? Eowyn, Faramir, Gondorians...what is real to hope for? ;)

Can we expect some new Lotr characters at last in september release? What do u guys think? Eowyn, Faramir, Gondorians...what is real to hope for? ;)

I think Gondor soldiers will be the most unlikely, which is a shame because they are what I want most. I think Eowyn and the Witch King are very likely though. They are fairly easy to do, recognizable, and important characters.

Mott, there are no new sets confirmed outside of the four Dimensions sets with Gandalf, Gollum, Gimli, and Legolas.

If we can get completely, irrationally optimistic, there are actually eight, since technically there are five with Gandalf alone. They just all share the same build. :p ;)

Dimentions will be a good vehicle for Lego to make characters that may not be big enough to warrant their own line, and for characters from defunct lines. We probably won't see any more LOTR sets, but maybe we'll get new minifigs from Dimentions. I'm excited.

I think Gondor soldiers will be the most unlikely, which is a shame because they are what I want most. I think Eowyn and the Witch King are very likely though. They are fairly easy to do, recognizable, and important characters.

You can make your own Gondor soldiers and they ain't hard. Of course, one would appreciate if thy were to make them but you can make them using minifigures from Fantasy Era and Kingdoms lines.

You can make your own Gondor soldiers and they ain't hard. Of course, one would appreciate if thy were to make them but you can make them using minifigures from Fantasy Era and Kingdoms lines.

I don't agree. The most recognizable item for me is the Gondor helmet and there is nothing that resembles it currently available.

I don't consider this a proper replacement: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3844

I don't agree. The most recognizable item for me is the Gondor helmet and there is nothing that resembles it currently available.

I don't consider this a proper replacement: http://www.bricklink...mPic.asp?P=3844

Yup, the helm is the most iconic piece of Gondor Soldier equipment and we have nothing in Lego that resembles it very closely. There also is the chest armor and tree print for the chest, neither of which we have from official Lego pieces. Then you have the shield with it's unique shape and tree print, yet another thing we don't have in official Lego pieces.

It's easy enough to get a random flesh head and some black legs, but that's only half the minifigure...

You can make anything and anyone but whether they look right or fit in with existing items is another matter. People made LOTR armies long before there were official sets. It's just that now we have official sets with identifiable prints and specially molded parts, the old style of doing it doesn't cut it.

This sort of thing looked good in 2010 before we had anything officially printed with the correct markings.

1303056739m_SPLASH.jpg

Edited by MAB

These criticisms only apply if you absolutely necessarily have to copy the movies. In the books, nothing stated that the helmet was shaped like it was in the movies (nor were the shields), so the classic helm is as good as any.

The lack of charge in the form of the tree is the biggest problem IMO.

True but since all the sets are based on the movies then i prefer movie like Gondor soldiers as well.

Edited by sahidko

True but since all the sets are based on the movies then i prefer movie like Gondor soldiers as well.

+1Having those improvised soldiers would indeed look strange to official movie characters. I prefer consistency in my collections.

These criticisms only apply if you absolutely necessarily have to copy the movies. In the books, nothing stated that the helmet was shaped like it was in the movies (nor were the shields), so the classic helm is as good as any.

The lack of charge in the form of the tree is the biggest problem IMO.

Ah, the books. I've tried to make my LOTR collection more book-like than film-like. But Gondor's a real problem. There's reference to winged helmets, although that is in the context of Tower Guards, and in my mind they're pretty essential. That's why of all the costumes that lego haven't covered the absence of a Gondor soldier leaves a massive gap. But I agree, the tree is the thing. One of those on a shield and you could get by with regular castle armour.

Edited by Brickadiergerard

Ah, the books. I've tried to make my LOTR collection more book-like than film-like.

Sounds interesting. I'd be interested in knowing some of the changes you made.

Is there a date on which the ideas results whill be annaunced ?

I thought it would be Mid-may and friday 15 may, seemed like the perfect day to me ! :laugh:

Personally I do not expect any lotr sets anymore, but one could hope, that the hobbit sets got priority over another wave, and with the last hobbit wave ending, the could end the whole line with some mostly needed additions. Gondor indeed being the main thing.

If however they feel like ending the line, the Ideas minas-tirith would be a perfect way to end it, without releasing a new wave.

I don't consider this a proper replacement: http://www.bricklink...mPic.asp?P=3844

To be honest, atleast on par with the helmet, is the Gondor Shield

777d9670adcb4e4cf5ff59e9600.jpg

Besides it would be cool, to get Gondor shoulderpads together with helmet and shield...... a perfect army builder having 2 of such soldiers in a 20-30$ set.... together with an orc or 2, or maybe Faramir in Gondor outfit.... plain happiness

Edited by Alcarin