Cousarmy0001

Potential (and quite large) Future Project

So I've been a bit burned out on ships lately. I've finished reworking my two extended Caribbean Clippers, and after an "accident" at my house that ended with all of my ships on the floor in pieces (Thunderchild, 2x (new) Imperial Flagship, 2x reworked Caribbean Clippers, Brickbeard Bounty, Black Seas Barracuda, and an MOC fortress) that took me three months to rebuild, I just haven't had it in me to finish the paddle-wheel steamer I had mentioned in the Thunderchild thread. By "finish" I mean I've done it several times in LDD, and am just not satisfied with the hull, not to mention I want to do something different with the captain's cabin that isn't a copy of the new Imperial flagship or slight reworking of the Thunderchild cabin. So that one is on hiatus, and the engine is probably going to be sitting for quite some time.

I still haven't rebuilt the fortress, it's a mixture of the Imperial Trading Post, El Dorado Fortress, Lagoon Lockup, and Broadside's Brig all rolled into one. Or should I say it WAS that, and like I said, I haven't had it in me to put back together, since I wasn't that happy with it to begin with.

It is in that context that I reinstalled LDD, and began a new project to replace my destroyed base. It is large and ambitious, and is not all contained in what I am about to post, since I still plan on building a coastal fortress to protect it. But first things first, I wanted to get everybody's opinions on what I have so far, and get some advice to make it better before (or if) I start ordering pieces for it.

So, without further ado, I present my new WIP, L'utinant Wharf!

8409732929_fe388e69ce.jpg

8410831316_a31781d20f.jpg

8410829972_7af28e33aa.jpg

The large tan building is meant to be a state house / admiralty building. The brown building with blue addition at the back is a generic industrial building whose exact purpose I haven't decided yet. The red and white building is a warehouse of ship's stores. The yellow and white building is a tavern/brothel/boarding house. The orange and white building is a shop or storehouse of some type whose purpose I also haven't decided yet. I thought maybe a constabulary or armory, but it would be kind of a buzz kill to put that right next door to the only place in town with wine and wenches.

The LDD file is WAY too big to attach, or I would have it in here. If anybody wants, I can e-mail it to them. I'm looking for tips to make the buildings more detailed and realistic. As is, the roofs and second floors are all removable (assuming I laid everything out correctly), the roof and second floor of the state house each break into two pieces, but the clock towers are permanently installed. The red squares in front of the wharf are to give an idea of scale. The larger square is the rough area of Thunderchild's hull minus the bowsprit. The smaller square is the rough area of the small merchant ship (including the bowsprit) that came with the old Imperial Trading Post.

Thoughts?

What "accident" Turned your ships into loose bricks??

This look rather interesting, to modern for my taste.

I probably shouldn't have included that in my post. Let's just say I was very very unhappy with one of my family members that night.

When you say "too modern", what do you mean? I tried to model only buildings that existed in the 1700s, the red warehouse was modelled after buildings from Empire Total War, the state house was from a Bermuda stamp I found, the yellow building was from a period painting, the brown warehouse was influenced by historic buildings in Yorktown, VA, and the orange building was modelled after several different buildings I found in historic ports. Any advice in keeping these in the 1600-1800 window would be appreciated.

When you say "too modern", what do you mean? I tried to model only buildings that existed in the 1700s, the red warehouse was modelled after buildings from Empire Total War, the state house was from a Bermuda stamp I found, the yellow building was from a period painting, the brown warehouse was influenced by historic buildings in Yorktown, VA, and the orange building was modelled after several different buildings I found in historic ports. Any advice in keeping these in the 1600-1800 window would be appreciated.

I know that you are correct (I play Empire Total War at the moment)

And yet it just dosen't give me the 1800 centry feeling, I can't tell you why. It just look abit modern'ish.

Eventhough. It is might caused by the LDD.

Keep up the great work, I might like it alot more when it come's to reality.

I probably shouldn't have included that in my post. Let's just say I was very very unhappy with one of my family members that night.

Well. If it is to any comfort.

I've had that exact same senario one time aswell. I kicked one of my ships (The Grim Reaper) Into a wall. My foot hurted like !#&% And despite that, my ship remained intact.

What im saying is, I was lucky. It could have brocken into a thousend pieces.

I feel with you.

Is it all of the buildings that look too modern, or just particular ones? Does anybody have pictures of buildings that could give me a better idea to shoot for?

Ok, planning update:

Several people said the building plans I had seemed too modern, though it seemed nobody could put their finger on which ones. So I went back to the drawing board, and wound up making the project WAY bigger than I'd originally intended, but hopefully now the whole thing looks closer to the correct time period.

Also, procedure update:

I've ordered the groundwork for this, but with over 13,000 pieces already involved (and I don't even have interiors for 3 of the buildings), it's going to take me a VERY long time to finish. I will keep you all appraised of my progress.

8899302437_3126772af0.jpg

8899303855_65f0498059.jpg

8899923576_c7993dece1.jpg

8899309131_5627541d6d.jpg

8899304555_86de14f0a2.jpg

8899304351_abb81ac5b0.jpg

8899922234_ba702e4160.jpg

8899921554_eb8d52357c.jpg

8899920714_aafb23de77.jpg

8899921214_ffd86b76a6.jpg

8899920484_8389a62c01.jpg

Edited by Cousarmy0001

I know you will want the opinion of more veteran builders, but the new update is great, the new buildings give another feeling to the project, keep it up mate and best of luck with your work.

The "industrial building" could be a storehouse for goods, like lumber or gunpowder.

I like it a lot :thumbup: It definitely looks a lot less "modern", and the new buildings look great!

Can't wait to see it in bricks :classic:

That sure is one big project you have going on. I'd like to see that in real life.

The "industrial building" could be a storehouse for goods, like lumber or gunpowder.

The red brick building between the barracks and the tavern is a storehouse for exactly that. My intent is for the industrial building to be a manufacturing shop of some type, perhaps maybe a forge for cannons or something. I'll have to do more research on industrial techniques of the day before I make my decision. My intent with the red storehouse is that the ships of the fleet would pull right up to the wharf and dock, that way they are right there to recieve their orders from the admiralty, and the replenishing of stores would be very easy as well. And with the bar/brothel on hand, everybody can go blow off steam from spending months at sea with nothing but a bunch of dudes to hang out with.

Then go to the church at the other end of the street and repent for it :-)

I know you will want the opinion of more veteran builders, but the new update is great, the new buildings give another feeling to the project, keep it up mate and best of luck with your work.

Any feedback at all is appreciated. We were all beginners at one point, and just because you haven't built an amazing (and obsessively perfect) ship like Vesta or Achille doesn't mean you can't contribute something useful :-)

By the way, the buildings whose exact uses haven't been determined are:

The orange building with white trim.

The bottom floor of the light blue building (next to the bar).

The random industrial building.

The medium blue one story building that shares a wall with the green one is currently a book store, but I think that's a little too modern touristy, and that may wind up being repurposed. The red brick storehouse doesn't have an interior yet, but it will be full of barrels, "timbers", and masts.

So if you have ideas for the unpurposed buildings, I am open to them.

Nice little scene developing here. I am also in the phase of revisiting my ambitious creation of fort efford, but the time I need for it is currently lacking.What I might recommend is

a crane for loading/off loading ships in port.

A post office.A trade centre.

A military/law/customs/jail area. EDIT noticed it was there already.

For the building next to the bar why not a brewery? Or a flour mill?

Some other nice ideas might be a Bank, Rail roads, food markets.These were all considerations in my creation if it ever boots up again, so more than welcome to them.

For references of good port style towns look at Port Townsend, and the Fortress of Louisbourg. Im not North American, but they tended to show up more in Googe searches. :)

Happy building!

AB

Edited by Admiral Blockbeard

Nice little scene developing here. I am also in the phase of revisiting my ambitious creation of fort efford, but the time I need for it is currently lacking.What I might recommend is

a crane for loading/off loading ships in port.

A post office.A trade centre.

A military/law/customs/jail area. EDIT noticed it was there already.

For the building next to the bar why not a brewery? Or a flour mill?

Some other nice ideas might be a Bank, Rail roads, food markets.These were all considerations in my creation if it ever boots up again, so more than welcome to them.

For references of good port style towns look at Port Townsend, and the Fortress of Louisbourg. Im not North American, but they tended to show up more in Googe searches. :)

Happy building!

AB

In all of the paintings and drawings I could find of wharves in this time period, I didn't see much in the way of cranes, which leads me to believe that that sort of thing was done using arms and lines extended from the ship's own rigging, but if somebody has a source that proves otherwise (and preferably has an image so I know what a harbor crane looked like in the 1600-1700s period) I would be happy to reconsider. The green/medium blue buildings are both retail stores, the green one is a general store type deal, the medium blue one is currently a bookstore, but like I said, that's probably going to change. Any suggestions about specific store types that could go in either of the blue buildings?

The orange building might work as a post office, though it's a bit big, I'd want to figure out something to share the space. Perhaps I could rework the orange building a bit to make it into a bakery / brewery?

Maybe I'll make the blue half of the green/blue building a post office and print shop instead of a bookstore? I may also add a few food carts and things like that as well, I'm not certain that brick and mortar food stores were common in that time period. This has the added advantage of giving the carriages something to crash into while they're chasing each other down the street :-D

Railroads are about 100 years after the period I'm trying to depict, unfortunately, so even though I made Stephen's Rocket in LDD a year or so back, it probably won't be showing up in this set.

Edited by Cousarmy0001

Talking all over my own thread, here.

So I did a little research into colonial foundries, and found(ry) that once again, Google kinda sucks for finding images that are helpful to me. Nonetheless, I found enough to design a foundry interior in the industrial building. In the attached, it's set up for casting a cannon and some rifle barrels, and the black domed shapes are for casting bells. It's late, so I'm putting off trying to make Lego bellows until tomorrow :-)

Also visible are the interiors of the green and medium blue building, I cleared most of the books out of the medium blue one, though.

8911431340_33b5aeede7.jpg

8910811757_8a5c667d0c.jpg

In all of the paintings and drawings I could find of wharves in this time period, I didn't see much in the way of cranes, which leads me to believe that that sort of thing was done using arms and lines extended from the ship's own rigging, but if somebody has a source that proves otherwise (and preferably has an image so I know what a harbor crane looked like in the 1600-1700s period) I would be happy to reconsider. The green/medium blue buildings are both retail stores, the green one is a general store type deal, the medium blue one is currently a bookstore, but like I said, that's probably going to change. Any suggestions about specific store types that could go in either of the blue buildings?

The orange building might work as a post office, though it's a bit big, I'd want to figure out something to share the space. Perhaps I could rework the orange building a bit to make it into a bakery / brewery?

Maybe I'll make the blue half of the green/blue building a post office and print shop instead of a bookstore? I may also add a few food carts and things like that as well, I'm not certain that brick and mortar food stores were common in that time period. This has the added advantage of giving the carriages something to crash into while they're chasing each other down the street :-D

Railroads are about 100 years after the period I'm trying to depict, unfortunately, so even though I made Stephen's Rocket in LDD a year or so back, it probably won't be showing up in this set.

Ahh yes the 1600s was earlier than I thought this would be. :)

I had in mind the mid 1700's. As for cranes its not so much the stand tall beasts of today, why would you need them with tall ships and rigging as you say. :)

Found this image. note the bottom left. And This image, in the centre at "land" level. That was what I had envisioned. Also if a fan of POTC, jack uses one to escape in the first movie.

But these may have not been around for the 1600's as my references are about the 1750s-ish.

Also, mainly a British thing but, wooden rail systems were commonly used in wharfs again in mid 1750's.

Forgive me, I am Australian and we didn't exist (as we do now) in the 1600's!

Great progress, loving the interiors.

AB

Greetings, as colonial buildings go, finding sources is not always easy, google sometimes is more confusing than help, but its still the best place, unless you have many ilustrated historical books.

You can try looking images from Pirates of the Burning sea, although its a game and games tend to be not very historical accurate, you can find good stuff there.

Remember the Cossacks series? There are some images that could help too, i dont know if its the right time period but u can try.

Edited by Viriathu

oooh i see :) Cossacks is game from the 90's i believe, never played but saw some very nice photos on google, you could check it, the buildings have a nice detail.

Games are a good source of buildings and colonial stuff, and ships from 1600 --> 1800, some are historical accurate while others are more or less, but i allways find very cool stuff in games, they are my primary source for those things and i never get disapointed.

you dont even need the games lol.. just google it with images and you get what you need.