Sir E Fullner

TORIII Entry Round 2: The Pirates of Penzance

[pid][/pid]

Hello, all. Here is my entry for Round II of the Tournament of Retribution. I wanted to get this posted as soon as possible, because I have lots of work to do with speech tournaments and some very big tests coming up. Since these keep me busy until about March, I got started right away and edited these pictures last night.

I decided to re-make one of my favorite scenes in Gilbert and Sullivan's opera, the Pirates of Penzance, with the Major-General's song. I worked on the words and rhythm, and used some very good pictures for some of the words of the song. I shall now present to you all, "The Redcoat Officer's Song" from the Pirates of Redbeard. In this scene, Redbeard's pirates are about to kidnap the Redcoat officer's sisters so they can marry them. When one of the sisters mentions that "brother is a Redcoat officer," Redcoat Officer Efullner shows up and sings his song to the pirates.

EDIT: Here is the link to the original music on YouTube:

01.jpg

02new.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Note: As it states in the rules, the comic must have the pirates playing a major part. In case you don't know, in the original Pirates opera, the pirates were the main characters. In this case, if the pirates didn't show up to kidnap the Officer's sisters, there would be no comic, so that is the importance of the pirates in this little comic, thank you.

I hope that you have enjoyed this little comic I have whipped up. Please leave your comments below.

Always entertaining, always inspiring, always:

Edited by efullner

Nice little first round 2 entry. A brave move to try and represent an opera. It's a bit hard to understand it all since I don't know any operas and haven't got the right idea what's happening? Is the text modified real text? Does it go with the actual music? maybe you could enlighten us uncultural fellows a bit :D And last, why opera? Why not choose something more common that everyone had watched and point and remember the similarities from it?

I agree, it IS pretty hard to understand, altough I like the effort You took to put this story :thumbup:

The other, and right now more important, thing is whether this entry has 10 or 12 panels. I'm not sure if those small pictures on the 8th panel count or not :look:

Nice little first round 2 entry. A brave move to try and represent an opera. It's a bit hard to understand it all since I don't know any operas and haven't got the right idea what's happening? Is the text modified real text? Does it go with the actual music? maybe you could enlighten us uncultural fellows a bit :D And last, why opera? Why not choose something more common that everyone had watched and point and remember the similarities from it?

Firstly, the text is modified real text from what C.S. Gilbert wrote for the original musical. It does go with the actual music.

Why opera? Well, I was watching Pirates of Penzance and this idea came to my head, and I thought it was a bold move for the next round. Tell you what, I will give a YouTube link to the original melody later to-day.

This was a very bold move. And a great comic. But I had the same problem as you.

Tell you what, I will give a YouTube link to the original melody later to-day.

I would like that very much.

The other, and right now more important, thing is whether this entry has 10 or 12 panels. I'm not sure if those small pictures on the 8th panel count or not :look:

Hmm well I think I'll accept this one. The two extra pictures are very small and could be seen more like thoughts. It wouldn't make much difference if there were thought-balloons around them. I also think it won't affect the voting. Next to that, about half of the pictures here are quite similar.

If there were two extra 600x800 pictures with text and stuff it would be a different story.

Now on to the entry itself. The idea of an opera is very original. I'm not a big fan of opera but I watched the scene on youtube and you did a rather good job. Your pictures also have somewhat of a musical look.

But, I don't agree with my croissants smelling bad :pir-sad:

I really like the concept of your comic but…

Let me put this in this way. I find your idea tremendously original and a very good one. I like operas but I didn't knew this one -- however it was clear that there was a rhythm and a music underlying the text because it is very well-written. However, despite this fact, in technical terms, the comic looks pretty unfinished, mostly because there aren't any balloons and the text seems threw-in, with different font sizes and balloon formats…

I think this is a good entry overall and I like it, because the photography is clear and the text superb! But again, it is just a pity for me that you haven't gave it a more comic-like look.

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

Now on to the entry itself. The idea of an opera is very original. I'm not a big fan of opera but I watched the scene on youtube and you did a rather good job. Your pictures also have somewhat of a musical look.

But, I don't agree with my croissants smelling bad :pir-sad:

Thanks for the compliment, but evidently you don't have a sense of smell. Why do you think we Redcoats are able to detect you from miles away?

I really like the concept of your comic but…

Let me put this in this way. I find your idea tremendously original and a very good one. I like operas but I didn't knew this one -- however it was clear that there was a rhythm and a music underlying the text because it is very well-written. However, despite this fact, in technical terms, the comic looks pretty unfinished, mostly because there aren't any balloons and the text seems threw-in, with different font sizes and balloon formats…

I think this is a good entry overall and I like it, because the photography is clear and the text superb! But again, it is just a pity for me that you haven't gave it a more comic-like look.

Some of the lines of text are too long to put in one single size. I'm not a magician, no matter how awesome the song says I am. Plus, I don't know any websites or programs to make a more comic-like comic.

Some of the lines of text are too long to put in one single size. I'm not a magician, no matter how awesome the song says I am. Plus, I don't know any websites or programs to make a more comic-like comic.

I also wish it had a more comic look. You can always make speech bubbles in MS Word and Paint.

Edited by Grimmbeard

I also wish it had a more comic look. You can always make speech bubbles in MS Word and Paint.

I do the same thing. I arrange the pictures in MS Paint and add the normal text there. Then I prnt scrn it, paste it in Word, add speech bubbles and their text, then prnt scrn and paste in MS Paint again to save it in the right format. Quite easy and basic but usually with a decent result.

Nicely done, I like it a lot, I've seen similar on mocpages (not opera though, usually popsongs) so I guess I'm used to this type of comic.

Nice! I saw Pirates for the first time just last month with my grandparents, but I already knew this song and I had to keep myself from singing along and disturbing the rest of the audience! :laugh:

I agree with what the others have said, in that the comic itself does look a bit unpolished, but I can forgive because you probably put all your effort into the lyrics. :thumbup:

Now that I've seen the video, I think this entry is much better and makes more sense. I quite like the tunes :) Though I do agree that some more basic editing on the bubbles wouldn't do any harm ...

Nice! I saw Pirates for the first time just last month with my grandparents, but I already knew this song and I had to keep myself from singing along and disturbing the rest of the audience! :laugh:

I agree with what the others have said, in that the comic itself does look a bit unpolished, but I can forgive because you probably put all your effort into the lyrics. :thumbup:

Aye, that I did. How many people do you know that can find rhymes to "jive the jib" and "seen above?"

Great thinking (and singing) out of the box comic. Have you considered singing it and adding an audio track? I think it'll be funnier than the bluecoats CGI rendered entry in Round I. :wink: