kurigan

MOC: Lugger gun boat Adder

[pid][/pid] 145A

IMG_1728.jpg?t=1358146723

This is the completion of a project which has sat unfinished for some time. The hull is rather basic, but by design. The rigging is completely functional. The sails are paper; the stiffness of the material keeps them from being furled even though the rigging would allow for it. It does however keep the illusion of luff in the canvas. The main gun represents a twelve pounder, recovered from Old Scorpion, already named “Black Death”. The other two swivel guns are something like 2 or 3 pounders. Boats like these both in terms of rig and application were popular the whole world over during the 18th and 19th centuries, typically for defense of key harbors and ports. In my own fleet, this is the role Adder plays, serving as a deterrent to invasion and ferrying pilots and inspectors out to incoming vessels. Her lug sails would be easily handled by only few crew members and are versatile in catching wind in all conditions. Admittedly, the scale may be a bit off, from that of her mini figure captain, but I just don’t care. I picked the project back up just to work on a realistic, working rig. Feeling as though I achieved that, I am pleased with her.

IMG_1734.jpg?t=1358146790

IMG_1736.jpg?t=1358146813

IMG_1745.jpg?t=1358146922

IMG_1743.jpg?t=1358146903

IMG_1748.jpg?t=1358146958

IMG_1750.jpg?t=1358146980

IMG_1747.jpg?t=1358146948

IMG_1746.jpg?t=1358146937

Thanks for looking and as always, more images on my photobucket.

http://s199.photobuc...ed/Real Models/

Nice! Looks like she's sailing through very thin ice. The rigging looks very realistic too.

It always surprises me how many different good looking ships you can make with a limited amount of parts :thumbup:

This is a rather good-looking ship, I'm especially found of the colourscheme and of course of the custom work, great rigging and sails. I must say the sails appeared to me to be real cloth and not paper, their color/texture strikes me as very accurate!

Aii! Great job Kurigan :thumbup: Wish they could make something like this for an official set :sweet:

Ths is a nice build Kurigan. With a limited number of parts you've built something instantly recognizable. The brick built guns look nice and fit well despite the ship being a bit small to scale. It looks like the main gun slides with the recoil and this is a nice feature. The sails look nice as well. The paper you used gives the illusion of cloth. Brick on!

-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Nice little boat. I like your sea :classic:

Nice! Looks like she's sailing through very thin ice. The rigging looks very realistic too.

It always surprises me how many different good looking ships you can make with a limited amount of parts :thumbup:

Looks very good, I love your idea for the sea. This is one of the best small ships I have seen.

Thanks, the sea is indeed a piece of carpet, from my old bed room. we had a carpet like this in the living room when I was a kid. I spent many hours playing with my classic pirate ships pushing them through the nap like the ocean's waves parting, hence my affinity for water-line models. I do agree that it looks rather like ice in hind sight. This pleases me though as I did want to convey a colder climate than usual.

This is a rather good-looking ship, I'm especially found of the colourscheme and of course of the custom work, great rigging and sails. I must say the sails appeared to me to be real cloth and not paper, their color/texture strikes me as very accurate!

Thank you. The paper sails were something of a happy accident. I scavenged it from work where it is typically cast off. I figured the color would work well enough but the bolster only came about from the way i punched the holes. The first sail, the main, was just an experiment, but it came out so well, I just kept going.

Very nice, it'll be

Go to Classic-Pirates.com

Thanks for that!

Aii! Great job Kurigan :thumbup: Wish they could make something like this for an official set :sweet:

The hull in simple enough, but even this simple rig would be a bit much.

Ths is a nice build Kurigan. With a limited number of parts you've built something instantly recognizable. The brick built guns look nice and fit well despite the ship being a bit small to scale. It looks like the main gun slides with the recoil and this is a nice feature. The sails look nice as well. The paper you used gives the illusion of cloth. Brick on!

-W. Townsend

Indeed the gun is on a slide. Even though I couldn't find a way to have it properly breeched with block and tackle, there is a rope which can be used to run it back out.

Thanks again all.

Edited by kurigan