NEqPFRXbXtBtuy_3_b.jpg

Teaser trailer (02/10/16)

Trailer #1: Extended Look (05/02/17)

General Info:

Production Title: 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales'

Official Release: May 26 2017

Script: Jeff Nathanson (Catch Me if You Can)

Producer: Jerry Bruckheimer

Directors: Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg

Cast:

Johnny Depp as Cpt. Jack Sparrow

Geoffrey Rush as Cpt. Hector Barbossa

Kevin McNally as Joshamee Gibbs

Orlando Bloom as William Turner

Stephen Graham as Scrum

Javier Bardem as Cpt. Salazar

Keith Richards as Cpt. Teague

Kaya Scodelario as Carina Smyth

Brenton Thwaites as

Spoiler

Henry Turner

Golshifteh Farahani as Haifaa Meni

Paul McCartney as ???

Adam Brown as Cremble

Spoiler

Alexander Scheer as young Cpt. Teague (Sparrow's father played by Keith Richards)

Lewis McGowan as young Henry Turner

Tony Chris Kazoleas as Black Pearl Pirate

Filming: late 2014 - early 2015

Synopsis (update 16.08.15)

Captain Jack Sparrow finds the winds of ill-fortune blowing even more strongly when deadly ghost pirates led by his old nemesis, the terrifying Captain Salazar, escape from the Devil's Triangle, determined to kill every pirate at sea...including him. Captain Jack's only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, a powerful artifact that bestows upon its possessor total control over the seas.

Edited by Cammo

I wasn't a huge fan of On Stranger Tides but Johnny Depp never fails to entertain so i am looking forward to this with anticipation.

On a side note, Catch Me If You Can just happens to be my favorite movie. :wink:

Not really looking forward to this one, but I am looking forward to more potential POTC sets! I totally was in my Dark Ages when the first sets came out, so I only got two. Though, the first few seemed to not have sold that well.

I think the story should be about Jack Sparrow and the Flying Dutchman competing to find the treasure.

Why would the flying dutchman return? and why would it have interest in a treasure? I don't think so.

For some good will they should reintroduce the likes of Pintel & Ragetti. OsT lacked some comic relief caracthers

Official release date: july 10, 2015

So 2.5 years until possible new Lego sets.

Why would the flying dutchman return? and why would it have interest in a treasure? I don't think so.

For some good will they should reintroduce the likes of Pintel & Ragetti. OsT lacked some comic relief caracthers

Well if we want to see Orlando Bloom back we have to see the Dutchman. Compete for treasure? I doubt it.

I hated On Stranger Tides. Hopefully this time they'll make the smart choice and put Sparrow back in the "secondary character" slot like he was in the first three movies. (Yes, he's the most prominent character no matter how you look at it, but structurally speaking Elizabeth was the protagonist of the first movie, Will the protagonist of the second, and the third...well, the third movie is sort of a clustermegablock to analyze, so suffice to say it definitely wasn't Jack.)

Jack works a LOT better when we don't know what he's thinking or planning, when we (like the protagonist) are struggling to keep up with his insane chain of improvised plans. When he was forced into the protagonist spot in OST, suddenly he couldn't surprise us anymore the way he can as a secondary character.

I, personally, would love to see Barbossa and Jack forced to team up again (making Barbossa the protagonist), or else give Gibbs a nice meaty protagonist plot to have to deal with (perhaps someone from his past in the British navy?). Either one would free up Jack to be the Jack we all love, while filling the protagonist spot with a character strong enough to hold our interest.

I agree. Pintell/Rigetti or adding in some other humor (those two redcoats from the earlier movies that kept having to guard everything)..

On Stranger Tides didn't have the same feel as the previous movies, but I still enjoyed it.

And most of all, I'd love some new Pirate-themed sets.

PotC 5 has a title: Dead Men Tell No Tales

I don't like that title. I'm not sure why. I guess it's tedious to say...? :grin:

Ah yes, I remember finding a Disney promo calendar somewhere and the month that had POTC said Dead men tell no tales. Of course I thought it was the title for the next movie. Nope, on stranger tides was next. Well, good to hear!

Edited by Im a brickmaster.

I, personally, would love to see Barbossa and Jack forced to team up again (making Barbossa the protagonist).

Not Barbossa. He's too awesome to be the protagonist!

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I do agree that Jack shouldn't really be the movie's hero. OTOH I found Will and Elizabeth almost unbearable, and I could only swallow them when they were being Jack's straight men. Keira Knightley was simply awful when she was trying to be inspirational, and Orlando Bloom plays "naive young fool" a lot better than he does "man with a destiny".

I didn't think OST was terrible (although it was certainly a terrible adaptation of Tim Powers' brilliant book). It just didn't have the light-heartedness of the earlier movies. I do think it was a good attempt to move the series on from the closed story of Will and Elizabeth.

They definitely need to bring back some of the original characters, though. And Barbossa needs to get back to being a villain. He's totally wasted as a good guy.

Much of the charm if PotC was the supporting cast. To many of which they either killed off in 3 (the Governor, Norington etc) or outright ignored in the 4th ( All of the pearls crew save Gibbs, Murtogg and Mulroy etc. still want a PotC battle pack with them and Pintel and Ragetti). So all the 4th movie had was Jack, Gibbs, Cleavage, and Geofrey Rush and Ian McShane sort of attempting to play the same role, badly considering their normal caliber. (Compare how wonderfully nuanced Rush's Barbosa was in PotC 1 and 3, then watch him in 4 and cringe. )

Don't even get me started on the whole mess that was Blackbeard! I mean really? If you are going to use Blackbeard as the main villain in your Pirate move, wouldn't it behoove you to oh I don't know, read an actual book about the real Blackbeard? Or even just a Wikipedia article? They might have found some surprising stuff. Stuff that would have better informed the movie. Stuff like the real Edward Teach was more akin to Jack Sparrow than to the murderous bloodthirsty Pirate he is portrayed as. He was particularly noted as an astonishingly effective Pirate who had these habits of really trying not to kill anybody unless it was absolutely necessary. He treated prisoners well. Save slavers. He despised slavers and slavery and made it his business to end theirs. He was renowned for freeing slaves, or given the chance hiring them onto his crew. Hmmmm? Doesn't this behavior sound suspiciously like a certain fictional Pirate Captain we have been watching for 4 movies now? Now imagine how much more fun could have been had with Stranger Tides if the writers as realized this?

In spite of all of this, I am so hoping the next one is good. I love 1 and 3, like 2, and am praying we never see 4's like again. (Well ok the music was good.)

I hated On Stranger Tides. Hopefully this time they'll make the smart choice and put Sparrow back in the "secondary character" slot like he was in the first three movies. (Yes, he's the most prominent character no matter how you look at it, but structurally speaking Elizabeth was the protagonist of the first movie, Will the protagonist of the second, and the third...well, the third movie is sort of a clustermegablock to analyze, so suffice to say it definitely wasn't Jack.)

Jack works a LOT better when we don't know what he's thinking or planning, when we (like the protagonist) are struggling to keep up with his insane chain of improvised plans. When he was forced into the protagonist spot in OST, suddenly he couldn't surprise us anymore the way he can as a secondary character.

I agree so much with that so much!

Not only was the whole protagonist thing a terrible idea, but the story stunk. There is little to no character development, and that love story between the missionary and the mermaid is terrible. By the end of the film Jack seems exactly the same as he started out, and the movie may as well have never happened. Everything felt half-baked.

But I will say that On Stranger Tides had a wonderful soundtrack! There is some good that comes from crappy movies.

The best part in On Stranger Tides for me was the Palm Tree Escape. Too bad they didn't make a set out of it.

I wonder if they will go on with the story, all those mythical ships in bottles.

Edited by Cammo

You know why the palm tree escape worked? Because for that sequence, Barbossa was the main character. We saw things mostly from his perspective, freeing Jack to go off and do wacky things and we didn't know what exactly he was up to. Even if you barely changed the actual plot points of On Stranger Tides, the movie would be better by at least half if it had been presented primarily from Barbossa's perspective (switching to Jack for brief moments at pertinent times--basically whenever Barbossa learned about what Jack was doing/whenever he faces some specific obstacle that Jack had already faced). Furthermore, we would have gotten some actual character development out of Barbossa AND Gibbs, which would have been a heck of a lot more interesting than the flat characters in Blackbeard's crew.

Much of the charm if PotC was the supporting cast. To many of which they either killed off in 3 (the Governor, Norington etc) or outright ignored in the 4th ( All of the pearls crew save Gibbs, Murtogg and Mulroy etc. still want a PotC battle pack with them and Pintel and Ragetti).

They killed off pretty much all of the still-living named characters from 1, 2, and 3 who were part of the British Navy in OST--check the wiki pages and IMDB. What's so stupid is that these characters almost universally died as mere redshirts, without even getting a single re-establishing moment. :sceptic:

Edited by Flipz

The movie has been pushed back for a 2016 release. (+ Disney is already giving us 2 blockbusters in 2015:

Summer: Antman

Winter: Star Wars)

More background on that story...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24046991

Although I can't help thinking that The Lone Ranger's box office performance may well be a factor as well.

Probably a combination of LR underperforming. Almost everything else underperforming in this horribly crowded summer, and how crowded 2015 already looks to be. Disney already has an Avengers movie and a Star Wars movie in production for then. Why risk overloading the theater goers with another high cost tent pole?

Rumoured Villain: Christoph Waltz as villain Cpt. Brand

Returning cast: Keith Richards as Cpt. Sparrow's dad: Cpt. Teague

Main plot: Quest for the mystical Trident. (The one mentioned by Angelica at the end of PotC 4?: To control the waves, wind and tides?)

Source:

http://www.movieweb....the-caribbean-5

Other rumours:

Waltz shall be playing the role of Captain Brand who seeks revenge against Sparrow. The reason behind was that Cpt. Sparrow lured his brother into becoming a pirate and thus this caused his death, which Brand doesn't take lightly. If all goes according to plan for the producers, the movie will be a hit just like the other "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. They are currently trying to keep spoilers and news from getting out so that fans would have to wait until the new movie is released.

* Sea witches will appear;

* Carina Smyth (Barbossa's daughter) = Cpt. Sparrow's love interest;

* Quest for the mystical trident;

* There are many reprising roles (take a guess). (Will Turner?)

Edited by Cammo

If Waltz is playing the villain, I'm sold. I freaking adore Waltz. If Waltz and Rush are in this, hands down, greatest movie ever! :grin:

The only part of that worrying is the "Barbosa's daughter, Jacks love interest" thing. I mean isn't that almost verbatim the Angelica character from 4?