hjmediastudios

TOR III Entry Round 1: A Gentleman, a Lady, and a Worthless Piece of R

[pid][/pid]

A Bluecoat and a Redcoat vie for the attentions of an island lady, and each ends up with the mate he deserves.

It's not a comic? Screw the rules.

• They're guidelines anyway.
  • I did it my way.
  • This is war.

As usual, comments are more than welcome.

Hilarious! :laugh: I dont think it will be allowed but anyway its amazingly made!

This is hilarious :laugh: It's clearly the best I've seen so far!

I know how much time it takes to make a brickfilm, an based on that I'd like to allow this, but I think we will get trouble then.

We don't allow a 20 panel comic either. So if nobody complains I can allow it, but if there's even one complaint then I guess it will be difficult.

It's not a comic? Screw the rules.

• They're guidelines anyway.
  • I did it my way.
  • This is war.

As usual, comments are more than welcome.

After I saw your guide to TOR III, I could bet you won't participate with a normal framed comic book.

The quality of the video is at a high level, just as expected, so I congratulate you for this.

However, I don't agree about "screwing the rules"... as many people asked for lots of times about what is allowed and what is not.

Since many questions were rejected, it won't be fair to allow someone who instead of asking if it's allowed, it simply comes by saying "screw the rules".

I have a friend who works in 3Ds Max, and because he didn't have any islanders, he intended to hand-draw or or to create a 3D movie, but since it wasn't allowed, he said skip to this TOR.

If this is getting to be allowed, then I will tell him, next time just do what you want and participate by saying "screw the rules".

Those are good points. I think it's better to not allow this. Nevertheless it's a great piece of work :thumbup:

Unfortunately it's just not suitable for the contest and fair to other members.

However, I think it's okay for you to take one or two days more to change the film into a comic and participate, if you want.

This is really good!

For what it's worth, I prefer your entry to all of the comics I've seen even if it goes against the rules.

Those are good points. I think it's better to not allow this. Nevertheless it's a great piece of work :thumbup:

Unfortunately it's just not suitable for the contest and fair to other members.

However, I think it's okay for you to take one or two days more to change the film into a comic and participate, if you want.

For me at least it is ok! After all this is all for fun, so what matters if this isn't exactly a comic? :classic: Moreover the video is incredibly well-made, and it humiliates the redcoats! Great great job!

For what it's worth, I prefer your entry to all of the comics I've seen even if it goes against the rules.

That's exactly why I can't pass it. The tournament is for fun but there's also a big prize pool involved and I would find it a bit unfair if somebody wins because he doesn't keep to the rules.

Perhaps I should have deleted the word "Guidelines" though. That's a failure on my account which I copy-pasted from the previous ToR.

Perhaps we could have another small round after the official ToR just for fun and without rules or prizes.

This is just amazing! As much as I love it, I have to agree that it shouldn't be allowed. Yes this contest is for fun but there are in fact prizes involved, so there must be rules.

Apart from the exact medium of expression, I attempted to hew fairly closely to the rules- No clone brands are depicted, There were ten shots in the video (corresponding to the allotted number of panels), although I eliminated most text in favor of motion, it was clearly related to the theme, and the rules state that it's not a building contest. Plus, I think it would be hard to say that I took any shortcuts relative to making a comic. The "Screw the rules" comment wasn't intended to be malicious in intent; I was merely attempting to be "rowdy." Sorry if it came across too strong.

EDIT: Here's the video re-embedded for the benefit of people coming to the conversation late:

Here's a comic version of it, although I must say it loses something without the melodic strains of The Blue Danube Waltz.

post-16408-0-50249600-1357396043_thumb.png

Edited by hjmediastudios

Apart from the exact medium of expression, I attempted to hew fairly closely to the rules- No clone brands are depicted, There were ten shots in the video (corresponding to the allotted number of panels), although I eliminated most text in favor of motion, it was clearly related to the theme, and the rules state that it's not a building contest. Plus, I think it would be hard to say that I took any shortcuts relative to making a comic. The "Screw the rules" comment wasn't intended to be malicious in intent; I was merely attempting to be "rowdy." Sorry if it came across too strong.

EDIT: Here's the video re-embedded for the benefit of people coming to the conversation late:

Here's a comic version of it, although I must say it loses something without the melodic strains of The Blue Danube Waltz.

Yes, I tend to agree with you but in the rules was clearly specified that there must be some Lego.

If it would have been allowed to do the comic on PC, I wouldn't have bother to open several boxes of Lego either.

I would find it much more easier to open 3Ds Max and spend a couple (or several) hours without messing the room.

To be fair to everyone, maybe there will be organized another contest of 3D movies, where some people who participated here will say "skip", and people some who said "skip" here will participate there.

Tossing the rules in to a blender, eh? Great work with Blender. Those rendered minifigs look like real Lego. Amazing what lots of hard work and freeware software can do. :classic:

I would find it much more easier to open 3Ds Max and spend a couple (or several) hours without messing the room.

Awww... how cute. Someone who believes that an animated short can be created in "a couple" or even "several" hours. I used to think that way, too.

Awww... how cute. Someone who believes that an animated short can be created in "a couple" or even "several" hours. I used to think that way, too.

Let's not make too much of a fuss about it. Moschino is right that there actually should be LEGO involved.

Outside of that you followed all the rules and made a good comic out of it. However, being the only one with CGI, this could influence the voting (but because the first 2 rounds are not about prizes I don't think that'll be such a big problem).

Because you clearly put a lot of effort into it, I'll let it pass this time, but in the next round please make it with real LEGO for the sake of the Tournament's fairness. Moschino, if you find this unfair, you (or anyone else) could make one comic with CGI in the next round.

Still, I loved the Brickfilm! I keep watching it over and over again. Very clever :thumbup: Please post more of those!

This entry is amazing, too much in comparison with the others!

about the use of the rules, well, there exists for a reason, especially if there are prizes involved!

about the use of the rules, well, there exists for a reason, especially if there are prizes involved!

compare your animation (by the way, looks very profesional and with a lot of work) against the common comics... well, its compare two different dimensions... litterally

I´m not a judge, or an organizator, but, it's like in my country say: it's a donkey tied against loose tiger! :laugh:

compare your animation (by the way, looks very profesional and with a lot of work) against the common comics... well, its compare two different dimensions... litterally

I´m not a judge, or an organizator, but, it's like in my country say: it's a donkey tied against loose tiger! :laugh:

Yes, obviously a CGI comic will look much better than an actual LEGO comic. You can't really compare the two.

Yes, obviously a CGI comic will look much better than an actual LEGO comic. You can't really compare the two.

I, obviously know :hmpf_bad:, but, seems.... till now, this entry will be allowed (on the first or second round), so we, as a voters* will have to "multidimensional" compare!

*remember that the voter are all the members of eurobricks... know it or not (in case of members that didn't participate in the TOR) the effort and resources of each entry (comic or animated)

Edited by Brig. Brick

Hilarious, I love it, I do however agree with Brig. Brick, I think it would be unfair as an official entry, it's a different category IMO, a video is just so much more than 10 pictures.

Either way, I'm very happy you made this anyway, I'm more into stop-motions (which also require houres and houres of work) but I like this as much, I would not want to have missed this :thumbup:

Nice conversion from video to comic. Great job. :thumbup:

Voters from the eurobricks community would most likely vote for your comic because your comic looks much better than the actual lego comic others have.

I think the Bluecoats might just win it this time. :wink:

Nice conversion from video to comic. Great job. :thumbup:

Voters from the eurobricks community would most likely vote for your comic because your comic looks much better than the actual lego comic others have.

I think the Bluecoats might just win it this time. :wink:

True, but this comic is just one of two comics he has to make to get access to the 3rd round, together with 4 more Bluecoats and 5 Redcoats. Next time he has to make comics with real LEGO so in the final round, when it's really RvB, things will be fair.

Next time he has to make comics with real LEGO so in the final round, when it's really RvB, things will be fair.

I have no problem with doing that, but I'm not really seeing how my approach isn't fair. I only used open-source software and a mid-range computer, things that I'm guessing the vast majority of Eurobricks users would have access to. Besides, the minifig model I used (and created) is even freely available for others to download and use.