sci_fi_month_banner.jpg

8331006341_31bdb423a5_z.jpg

Forbidden Animal Planet

With the release of all the new Friends animals - Eurobricks has decided to create our own Sci-Fi theme in the form of a Contest! The idea is take a stock
LEGO animal
and
Sci-Fi
it.

So simply take the minifig out and put an animal in, all the while seamlessly combining it into a Sci-Fi MOC! Will you build a Monkey Mech? or a Steam Punk Snake Pirate Ship? or a Scorpion Space Station? or Retro Sci-Fi Rat Rocket? or Time Traveling T-Rex's Transformer? or Frankenstein Frogs? or Dystopian Dogs City?

Still don't have an idea on what to build?

Well take a spin on the Eurobricks Animal Planet Randomizer™:

7108482569_d02521795a.jpg

Watch it in action:

And the Eurobricks Animal Planet Randomizer™ has decreed:

Kitty Steam Punk!

7125262545_c03f0c5163.jpg

The Rules

1. Entries must prominently feature a complete LEGO Animal (anything listed under Animal on Bricklink counts!) in a Sci-Fi setting. Humans are still allowed in the MOC, but as secondary characters (such as fleeing, backrubbers, food... etc)
  2. Minifig based animals (such as CMF Dinosaur or Ape) are considered secondary character and do not count towards the LEGO Animal
  3. One entry per member.
  4. Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously) and be between 16x16 and 48x48. Your imagination is your only height limit.
  5. Entries must be posted by midnight anytime on Earth, January 31st. Voting will last 7 days after close.
  6. All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  7. Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  8. Entries are to be placed in their own entry topic in the Sci-Fi forum. The title of the topic should begin with "FAPC:" and then give the name of the entry.
  9. Upload your images onto a dedicated image hosting websites such as Brickshelf, Flickr, etc. Do not use Eurobricks attachment to upload your images.
  10. The entry post (first post in your entry topic) may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  11. Entries are to consist of no more than 3 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size.
  12. In the event of a tie, the Staff will vote to decide the winner(s) and all Staff decisions are final.

Prize Pool

• First Place: 70705 Bug Obliterator (Donated by TLG) + 1st choice of FAPC Trophy + Sci-FI Tag
  • Second Place: 70704 Vermin Vaporizer + 2nd choice of FAPC Trophy + Sci-Fi Tag
  • Third Place: 70702 Warp Stinger + Trophy + Sci-Fi Tag

Trophies:

8378761224_2cbfe6a240.jpg

Questions, and clarifications, can be made in this forum.

Edited by Si-MOCs
Updated Prizes

Oh, this sounds fun! I hope to have a chance to build something for all these cool contests!

I've never entered an EB contest. This sounds like fun though so I may have a go. :classic::thumbup:

This totally fits something I have really wanted to build for a while. But what I want to build is probably a bit too obscure to win votes. Is this public voting? Tough call. As usual I will probably build what I like!

:classic:

Now this is an original sounding contest.........you might be counting me in on this one......already have some ideas.....woof ! :laugh:

Are licensed macrofigs (like Star Wars wampa, LOTR cave troll) considered animals?

Can friends animals be used?

By the sounds of it, anything not shaped like a regular Minifig (but not brick-built, of course) goes! Anyway, does the entire animal have to be used (if not visible)? Eg. Could I just use a shark's head... or something like that?

Wow sounds fun! Hmmm I have to see what kind of animals I have...Can I use more than one of the same animal?

Great to hear everyone is excited and entering! Hopefully we'll get a lot of great entries - and if anyone is familiar with some of my mini contest over in historical, the more entries, the more prizes... I got a stock pile off goodies just waiting to be dished out :look:

But what I want to build is probably a bit too obscure to win votes. Is this public voting? Tough call. As usual I will probably build what I like!

Yes and no.

We will use the standard public voting for the placements.

Though there will be some 'special' judged prizes too... but those are secret. or not, I haven't decided/still seeing what else I can gather :grin:

If I were you, always build what you want. I never build 'to win' I build what I think is fun. Which typically ends up with something silly and never win :rofl:

Allright I'm up for it. And you're going to tell us what we have to build from the spinner right?

haha no. You don't have to use the spinner. You can if you want.

But be forewarned, the spinner is binding and I can be very mean (puts rarest animal I have on spinner) :wink:

Are dino's allowed?

I would hope so.

It's in the promo build :rofl:

Are licensed macrofigs (like Star Wars wampa, LOTR cave troll) considered animals?

That's a good question. I hadn't actually thought of it. I going to say Yes - they are animals.

To make it simple, let's just go with Bricklink - if it's under animals, then it's good to go.

Though I would point out that using a humanoid fig might not win as many votes... (like you have problems winning votes :wink:)

Can friends animals be used?

Absolutely!

In fact I would recommend them. They're tiny and awesome for Sci-Fi

Can I use more than one of the same animal?

No limit on the number of animals you use, or even the different types. It's really up to your imagination....

Like a Cat vs Dog epic spaceship dog fight would be pretty awesome.

Could brick built animals be used?

I would say no... Part of the challenge is to try to use an animal and build something for it.

Though I suppose if you didn't have any LEGO animals, you could use an official LEGO brick built animal (such as their chicken or ducks) - as long as it comes in a Set, I'm okay with that. Though I would think using a prefab animal would be more fun ;)

Could it use Hero Factory elements?

Sure!

Hero factory is still LEGO - as long as you have your Animal(s) in the build :thumbup:

I think I'll use scorpions. I have over 30. I think this'll be fun. :devil:

8340113555_585ca2ce20.jpg

Zerg Rush! Kekeke!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

So all you have to do is build a lego mech suit featuring an animal at the controls, if this is correct please could you tell me?

Also is it optional to have a background scene or do you have to have a background scene?

Last question for now, what is the recommended size baseplate recommended by you I would use to feature my animals robot/mech?

(Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the awesome contest :classic: )

Anyway, does the entire animal have to be used (if not visible)? Eg. Could I just use a shark's head... or something like that?

Opps! Almost missed this question!

Hmmm Another good question - I would think you would have to use the entire shark for at least one part of the build. As part of the fun is to imagine a planet where these animals have evolved into human like (or higher) technology.

It's not apparent in the main poster, but two full sized ostriches fit in the cockpit :laugh:

Now you could have some cyborg sharks with your shark guys... that would be okay :wink:

I think I'll use scorpions. I have over 30. I think this'll be fun. :devil:

Zerg Rush! Kekeke!

haha, nice!

I look forward to what you're going to do with all of those :grin:

Would you consider fabuland figs as animals?

Excellent question...According to Bricklink they're Minifigs...

So I'm going to have to say no, they're not considered animals.

1) So all you have to do is build a lego mech suit featuring an animal at the controls, if this is correct please could you tell me?

2) Also is it optional to have a background scene or do you have to have a background scene?

3) Last question for now, what is the recommended size baseplate recommended by you I would use to feature my animals robot/mech?

(Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the awesome contest :classic: )

Thank you for entering contests :wink:

1) You don't have to build a Mech at all! I happened to choose a mech cause it fit the original movie poster, and the spinner landed on MECH haha.

But it could be animal controlled fighters, it could be a bunch of animals abducting a human. It can be really anything you want. If anything I would say try to think of something that isn't a Mech, as that's the 'obvious' choice - and I'm assuming they'll be a few entries with mechs!

2) You don't have to use a background, you could just build a singular item.

Keep in mind that it'll be voted on by the public, so the composition of your entire build will matter, so the more you put in, such as background and such the better! (You do have an entire month to build!).

I would recommend spend some time on the main build, and if you still have time, build a background!

3) Well it doesn't have to be a mech, but really it depends on what makes sense on what you're building. If you have a single little starfighter with a kitten then something small makes sense. If you have a Trex sized time machine, then of course it'll be bigger!

Or if you have a scene with dinosaurs in late medieval period, it'll probably be in the max size range!