andythenorth

Recommend better forums than Eurobricks...?

I visit Eurobricks a couple of times a day. It's the best source (other than technicbricks.com) of info about new sets, good reviews, and some awesome MOCs and building techniques.

But...it's Eternal September here. http://en.wikipedia....ernal_September

I'm so bored of reading posts from AFOLs (I assume) whining that:

(1) TLG have produced a line up of new models similar to the ones they've been producing since about 1978.

(2) That they don't like parts x, y or z. Post that once, it's feedback. Post it repetitively, it's just whining.

(3) TLG have screwed it all up and everything is going wrong, and "they don't understand their fans".

These posters are either naive, lazy, or just plain thick. They are either not smart enough, or too self-centered to accept that TLG is a business, has a well-proven business model, and that the business model is not built around whining AFOLs. I have no comment on whether that business model is a good thing or a bad thing. It's just a fact that exists. It's also stupid to place so much dependency for your happiness on the product releases of one Danish toy company; life is so much bigger than that.

So, is there a better place to read about technic?

(Same issue applies to Town and Trains, but I think better places for those might be easy to find).

Edited by andythenorth

I assume LUGnet would be an option... Although it might be eternal september in some ways, I enjoy it here :) We could maybe also have a look at 1000steine, I technically don't like the forum system, but the option to have a (paying) members only option makes it much less "eternal september" in those Plus member areas. It only costs about 12,5€ a year so...

Ah, but now you're going all meta on us complaining about those who complain :sceptic:

If LEGO makes your life stupid then there's plenty of other fora that discusses the ups'n'downs of life. I can recommend several if you like

But there's no other place like EB allthough I do like Bricksets forum also

There's a bunch of stuff here that gets me all twisted up too, but one have to take the good with the bad. Such is every forum, imho

oh, you can see those whinings everywere trust me. you have to get used to it and rather than assuming they're really AFOLs, assume they're not. even this forum is ideally targeted for mature lego fans, a number of members i believe are younger than 18. i'm not sure though if admins ban them when they know, then my argument is invalid. also, i'm not saying AFOLs dont complain or whine if you like the term, but often you can see why, often they make some point even if its repetitive they just want to emphasize. but i agree it's sometimes a bit annoying.

Well, I feel the same, but I can live with it. I think you should too.

All forums have people who annoy you.

Oh the irony. I don't want to offend you andythenorth, but look in the mirror to see who is whining right now.

Of course people will whine around models or parts. But that will happen everywhere with everything. We are too spoiled. "Oh look, we got another yellow tracked vehicle with a arm that is operated by LAs. Woohoo crap model just the same but a bit different." Oh well I don't like that stuff, too.

And now see me. I am whining about you whining about others whining. A vicious circle.

Edited by Balrog

cupra.gif

||

v

Edited by Anio

With such an explosive topic name, I just had to look.

Seems to me your problem is not Eurobricks as a whole, but rather some of the users. You'll find there is no forum or chat room on this planet that has only eloquent, ego-less users. Look at me, I'm posting similar thoughts to the others above, yet apparently I feel the need to post them again, under my name. Look at me indeed.

Personally, the way I deal with the fluff is to ignore it altogether. I skim topics for pictures (or links, in this Thou Shalt Not Share Confidential Pics era). The actual written news will usually be in or at a later point added to the first post in a topic. As for the reviews, I just look at the photos. Sometimes I'll read what the reviewer has to say, but as it's their personal opinion, it won't influence me too much.

So all in all: either skim and ignore at will, or come to the conclusion that website forums probably aren't your cup of tea and stick to sites like From Bricks To Bothans, where it's generally just the news and pictures and you don't have to deal with endless discussions on yellow versus flesh et cetera.

Well OP, you actually are the biggest whiner then in these forums, because you needed a whole thread dedicated to whining. You made. Thread, which sole porpoise is you whining!

Whining is a normal human being reaction. You can't make everyone happy, you never will. If you call opinion that does not agree with yours whining, then you got a problem your self m8. We are humans not robots, we can't love everything that is thrown at us. And this is forum where people discuss topics. So opinions clash and that's how it should be. If we all going to be: "yes, this is lovely, you are amazing and totally not fat", then we will have very boring forum. Healthy criticism is a good thing. If person is lied to its face and being told its perfect, but in reality it is bad, then you destroy opportunity to that person to improve and fix. Same can go with lego new lego sets.

I don't know how many forums you have been on OP, but trust me, I am on a lot of different forums. Building pc,gaming, cars, car clubs,lego,pet etc. I have seen some fanboism and whining in my time and trust me, this forum is on lower mark of whining. AMD even if there is a whining, people still give god arguments and they still respect others opinion. Funny how a child's toy forum had a lot more mature behaver then a lot of mature forums.

This forum is great. It is strictly moderated by dedicated fellow AFOLs who decided to volunteer their precious time to maintain our love for one cause, Lego. Yes, people do whine and grumble, but in the end, we still love Lego. Everyone has their liking for different types of themes and building techniques, so there exists sub forums and sub-sub forums.

One other thing Eurobricks is fantastic is because it thrives on a large fan base.

You might want to check out Brickset forums and Toysnbricks forums and decide for yourself what kind of content suits you best.

FYI, if you see us on Eurobricks, we would most likely be on other forums as well :wink:

Edited by Purpearljellyblob

(1) TLG have produced a line up of new models similar to the ones they've been producing since about 1978.

(2) That they don't like parts x, y or z. Post that once, it's feedback. Post it repetitively, it's just whining.

(3) TLG have screwed it all up and everything is going wrong, and "they don't understand their fans".

I personally do not experience what you are describing (...just to let hear another sound). Eurobricks is doing great; I have seen worse forums many times ;)

I visit Eurobricks a couple of times a day. It's the best source (other than technicbricks.com) of info about new sets, good reviews, and some awesome MOCs and building techniques.

These posters are either naive, lazy, or just plain thick. They are either not smart enough, or too self-centered to accept that TLG is a business, has a well-proven business model, and that the business model is not built around whining AFOLs. I have no comment on whether that business model is a good thing or a bad thing. It's just a fact that exists. It's also stupid to place so much dependency for your happiness on the product releases of one Danish toy company; life is so much bigger than that.

So, is there a better place to read about technic?

(Same issue applies to Town and Trains, but I think better places for those might be easy to find).

I couldn't agree more! After reading some of the latest nonsense last night, I actually thought to myself, I wonder if there's another Technic forum out there.

Whilst this forum has some fantastic threads, there are too many, especially at this time of year, that degenerate into 'Lego didn't make a new model to my exact specification so I'm going to sulk and complain about it year after year'. I just cannot understand this type of response. I've always been taught, that if you haven't got anything good to say, don't say anything at all! These type of responses actually put me off participating more actively in this forum. Personally, I feel this forum could benefit from more moderation. I wish people would think twice before posting: ask yourself the question – do I really have anything constructive to add to this discussion?

I was also wondering whether having some sub-forums might be useful, splitting off MOCS from new set discussions, so the yearly whining can be ignored.

I love seeing the new set pictures, but can’t bear the inevitable drivel that follows. The fact that Lego produce models that appeal to me as an adult, year after year, still astounds me.

And yes, I am well aware that this is a post complaining about people complaining!

Richard.

There is no better forum than eurobricks (I don't really see technicBRICKS as a forum, more of a blog). And I really don't see it as whining. What you are doing is whining. What I do is critique! Like a reviewer. I know what I like and what I want. I'm not upset if I don't get what I want, i'm not a child who feels as tho TLG should cater to my needs alone. To think I am would be naive. I simply state that if they want me to part with my money to buy their products then this is what I would like and don't like. That is not whining or being naive or egotisticle. It's simply knowing what I like. What you are doing is whining. You don't like the fact that some people may have a different opinion than you so you start a whole topic whining about it and asking if there is another forum out their where everyone agrees with you. Thankfully there is not as that would be boring.

Problem is in you andythenorth, not in users or in forum.You must learn that eveybody have rights to have their own opinion.Not every your opinion is the best :thumbdown::sadnew: .

Personally, I feel this forum could benefit from more moderation.

After reading some of the latest nonsense last night, I actually thought to myself, I wonder if there's another Technic forum out there.

If you wish more moderation a little more insight in your thoughts would be of help: What are the topics/the nonsense exactly you read about?

Please give us examples.

Btw.: You know that there is the small "report" button?

I wish people would think twice before posting: ask yourself the question – do I really have anything constructive to add to this discussion?

Absolutely seconded!

But people are people. Some will never learn. :hmpf:

I personally do not experience what you are describing (...just to let hear another sound). Eurobricks is doing great; I have seen worse forums many times ;)

I totally agree with you on this one. I regularly visit gaming forums without moderation and the discussions over there are unbelievable/horrible. Overall I am VERY pleased with the moderators AND the people posting here. There is a lot of respect for each other, which I like a lot.

The vast majority of the topics are about people's MOCs or building techniques. "Whining" about LA's vs Pneumatics (for example) is only done in discussion topics about new sets.

I do agree with Andy that people should not forget that Lego is running a business, and they are doing pretty well the last decade or so. People need to understand that a huge mobile crane sells....it sells big time! I would also like some more diversity to the model range, but on the other hand, I am very pleased with Lego's current product line and decisions.

Having searched the net for quite some time, I can say with 100% certainty that this is the best Lego forum available. Technicbricks is also great, but that is indeed a blog, not a forum. EB and TB are the first sites I open in the morning with a cup of coffee. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

I don't think there's too small moderation here. I saw forums with less moderation and still everything was very civilized. More would be worse.

And I don't think there's too much noise here either, I saw much noisier forums which were still civil.

So OP, get used to the internets

EDIT: I also start the day with this forum, and with the biggest computer games programming forum. Both of them are great because the moderators became from active forum lurkers.

Sorry, a non constructive comment, as usual from me.

Edited by Lipko

Thanks for the Setechnic tip, I'm checking it out. No other better forums?

Ho ho at those jumping to defend their own right to have an opinion. Herp, and derp, as though that was ever the question.

Anyone remember rec.toys.lego? :devil: Or am I just way too old?

Edited by andythenorth

Well I think this place is great. I have learned a lot from the people here. It is great when you hear about the up and coming sets, because you can plan for them well in advance. There are a lot of good people here who put in alot of time and effort in assisting others. That is what it is all about. I have been to other forums and felt very dissappointed that people don't reply to postings. At least here there is a readership and that you are very much aware that you are online with others.

Whilst we have only a very small influence in what a toy company produces, when we look back over the past ten years or so, we have received many of the wishes sent to our "Fairy Godmother".

To all who are responsible, keep up the great work! :classic:

Hey. Why don't you go start the "better forums"? If Eurobricks isn't building to your specifications, and you are unwilling to change your fandom parameters, then the only reasonable option is to start your own board. Be sure to not tell anyone about it, so that the denizens of the internet that you are unhappy with cannot join your board.

...TLG is a business, has a well-proven business model, and that the business model is not built around whining AFOLs.

Hey andythenorth, why then does The Lego Group have:

1) Unsolicited pop-up Customer Feedback forms when visiting Lego.com websites,

2) Have Lego.com representatives meet with AFOLs at Lego conventions,

3) Employees whose salaries are funded by customers like us?

AFOLs have the perspective, and experience, to state their preferences. Any business who does not heed their "biggest fans" is foolish.

I've gone from being a reasonably active poster to a lurker a few months ago and my reasons are not dissimilar to those voiced by andythenorth. I still read EB, but on any given day I might find two or three threads out of the 8 pages or so vaguely interesting. I don't think that's a problem with Eurobricks as such. It's well run and properly, if firmly, moderated. It just doesn't match my interests.

It seems almost inevitable that a lot of discussions on a forum about LEGO will be focussed on what LEGO does, and it mainly does sets. If sets are not you thing, that doesn't leave much else. I don't care about sets as anything other than as parts packs for MOCs and there's really not much to discuss about MOCs either, beyond whether you like a given MOC or not. What doesn't help is that I don't know most of the people who post here and they don't know me. That easily leads to misunderstandings and makes any sort of meaningful discussion difficult. A small forum, with people you actually know and who build things you're interested in, may work better than a large one and I think the Technic forum here is not too bad, actually, but I'm just not a Technic builder.

I prefer flickr. It does have discussion groups, but it is mainly focussed on photographs. They're the starting point for exchanging ideas and build techniques and that works far better than a forum IMO. Another advantage is that it is easy to find people who do things I'm interested in and people who are interested in the stuff I do can easily find me.

I'll go back to lurking now.

Ralph

I don't think that you're going to find another forum on the web that has as much traffic or brings together as many different countries and cultures as Eurobricks...

If you notice here(and basically everywhere) Technic is nowhere near as popular as the majority of the other sub-forums... I think that it is great that there are multiple posts and threads here everyday.. i used to be a member at Lugnet and there was barely any activity at all, in fact I don't think there have been any new posts in the Technic section over there in months...

You're going to find complaining and other things that you dont like no matter where you go...

I hit up SeTechnic about once a week as those guys seem to be very updated with new information and there are some really great French builders... Of Course I have to translate everything... :wink:

Edited by Paul Boratko

As Paul said above my post, Lugnet is really out of date, I used to go there and the activity there, whereas EB really is the place to go for all things Technic, it is a thriving forum and never a dull moment here. I have gotten a lot of advice and grabbed mods and inspiration for MOCs here. If not for Eurobricks, I wouldn't have started doing MOCs and I have a lot of smaller and larger projects in process right now and before this I built out of the box mostly, but now I can find some really nice mods for existing models, just having enough time to devote is the problem. And a big hand to DLuders, he is our advocate to TLG to try and work with them on getting things we need to build main and alternate models...just my 2 cents worth...

Edited by TechnicFreak