BlueCaret

Light up the town! Light Bricks or LEDs?

Hello all! So I plan on making some buildings with lights in them. I came across some light bricks (not sure if that is the proper term) on a website, hadn't realized Lego had so many. My original idea was to wire a bunch of LED lights all over but after seeing the light bricks, is there any reason I couldn't just use those? What do you all prefer to use when lighting, light bricks or LEDs or both?

I had a big power brick that I could stick a 9V battery in that connnected with a 1x4 with bulbs on both ends, this was years ago though and the light wasn't very bright at all. Are they all still like this or are newer light bricks brighter now?

Another question about the light bricks. Would it be possible to connect light bricks to a power source just using a simple wire or do you have to use the lego plates with the metal in them? If I have to use the plates then I suppose that would be a good reason to just use LED since it would be difficult to place the plates in a way where it isn't obvious.

Any other tips for lighting up a Lego town?

Thanks!

Light bricks are more difficult to use of course. I normally use self made LED's.

I would say it depends on how long you want them on for. If it is simply to say 'hey look I have a light in here' but not have it stay on then light bricks are fine. If on the other hand you want to leave it on any time I'd o for the LED option.

Thanks for replies guys! Looks like I'm going with LED lights. I'd like them to be on for a while. Eventually once I have a town built would like to stick it on a timer so it comes on when it gets dark.