I'm guessing that if Lego created that splash image for the website already, we are looking a close release date... maybe February 1st?

Hope soon as possible!

Thanks, GRogall, for the image.

I like it overall and will be getting one for sure, but I'm not drooling over it. I like the colour combination and the roof design is very interesting. Looking forward to seeing more images.

This will be released in February at the earliest... The Lego store I work in has a stock room flooded with January products, nothing for after.

Looking at the picture, I don't think the title of the film above the door will be editable. They'd have to do it on 1x1 square tiles if that was the case, and then the letters would probably be legible at this resolution.

This set will almost certainly have stickers. Sorry, sticker haterz.

What torso is that concession stand guy wearing? It looks like blue and white stripes with a red bow tie?

Looking at the picture, I don't think the title of the film above the door will be editable. They'd have to do it on 1x1 square tiles if that was the case, and then the letters would probably be legible at this resolution.

This set will almost certainly have stickers. Sorry, sticker haterz.

What torso is that concession stand guy wearing? It looks like blue and white stripes with a red bow tie?

It's actually from a Spongebob set, specifically 3816 Glove World.

Will there be a printed piece/sticker of minifigs who left their hand/foot prints in the concrete? Probably not but it'd be a nice addition.

That's a great idea, hope they incorporate that.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a more standard-looking theater but I like the model and will buy it if it's reasonably priced.

I believe that I understand the logic behind the design; it's not too hard for anyone (including their competitors) to do a 1950s-style theater. Lego's own Town Plan would be an excellent starting point. They've been there and done that, so now they've pushed themselves to do something different and interesting and I respect them for it.

Edited by bjtpro

I always thought both Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade had a New York City look to them. GE always kinda reminded me of Macys department store and I believe someone had posted a picture of a real NYC fire house that looked a lot like FB.

I am probably not quite right in using "rust belt". The FB is pretty typical of US Firehouses stretching from roughly NYC and stretching westward through the large industrial centers of the first half of the 20th century. Pretty much that northern arc from NYC to Cincinnati. It's actually a bit wide for a typical NYC Firehouse. Most of them from the time period would be narrower by a third (just 1 side of the vehicle bay) because of the narrow NYC plots and high land costs. Plus most had been built for horses.

The GB makes an acceptable Macy's. But there is a bit more "architecture" going on there than you might find in the NYC counterparts. The roof line and some of the details always make me think of some of the older more classic London establishments. But really its all in the eye of the beholder. These were designed such that people feel comfortable identifying them as something they know. Of them all the new Palace Theater is probably the least generic. It's coloring and styling just screams California.

And with no Art Deco buildings in the modular set - for what is a massive architectural movement and symbolic of the hayday of entertainment and cinema - it seems a missed opportunity.

Ooo. Now you are making me thirst for an Art Deco style building. Maybe a train station?

Here is the most famous one!

Eh...that's not really a limo, it's a Lincoln Continental. When I think limo, I think 3222.

Edited by Legocrazy81

I would think there is an element of Art Deco which has blended nicely with the oriental feel.

Such fusion in design can be commonly seen in Shanghai, where Art Deco was a major influence of their architecture in the early 1900s. Feel free to google " shanghai Art Deco cinema" and you may observe some similarities.

Overall I like it and am definitely getting it. :)

Thanks for al the info 'GRogall', I must say so far I'm not impressed.....I prefer my cinema from 2008 Town Plan :wub: .....maybe when a larger image becomes available my mind might be changed. :blush:

dafuq has lego done ? unless other pictures convince me otherwise i dont like this piece of rubbish, cmon i think it will not even look nice next to the other modulars, and what will this hideous monster will cost us ?

:sceptic: The building is good but this car is very ugly! It is not acceptable for an "Expert" model.

In 2011, I've bought a black old bangle by using LLD. Here is the pic of it. http://cache.lego.com/upload/Gallery81D4B919-A1F7-4FDD-B69A-3E9D931B7928/53159c02-7b14-4ee7-bb34-b4246b1df918.jpg

It was higly inspired of the fire brigade car. So I hope this "limo" is not inspired of this black car....

Well, since the picture is available now a full day I thought I well get my two cents in, to say what I think about this new Modular Building!

I'm all-around very pleased with this set! It is a great rendition of what theaters where like in there golden days, without all these new multiplex theaters which we have nowadays that herd in there patrons like cattle

and turn out the next batch 2.5 hours later. Remember that in the 20s and 30s Theaters where like todays amusement parks, people where se-posed to be impressed by the places they where going and things the

where there too watch. Going to the theater was for most people an annual event and not something done every week!

The rendition of the Palace Cinema is in my mind just what it is! a great moving picture theater.

Does is fit in well with the other buildings?

Yes, I think the stile shows another great example of lego trying out another architecture style to impress us. and its not that far off from the Grauman's Chinese theater in hollywood which in itself is very iconic!

I'm also sure that this is a single screen theater

The color.

I think that the color combination used in the set is very nice but nothing new. the dark red baseplate is a nice touch and the sidewalk seems to be very detailed as well,

The Palace Marque

The theater sign is mostly done using bricks with a color combination of blue white and yellow, is IMO a very detailed sign and well made, as for the writing about the show, stickers or printed tiles i'm hopping for the

latter. but will have to judge when we get info how the decision was made from the designer!

The Limo.

The limousine is a little on the strange side for the set; but not too far off that I would discard it into the next parts bin. remember that stretched limos is something from a new era and not the 20s or 30s.

the Minifigures.

For the most part the figures are well chosen! the photographer looks like he just came back from safari, the usher looks the part with his white gloves, the guy in the blue and white suit is probably either the

projectionist or the popcorn and cigarette seller!? the lady in red it seems to be an exact copy from a figure in the Pet Shop. maybe here twin? :tongue: The chauffeur and actress; will have to be better seen before I make

judgment, but they look there part!

The big question for the set is did Lego use stickers for the movie poster? we will have to wait for the Designer Video probably to find out! but hoping for printed.

The remaining questions!

Whats on the right side of the ticket both, maybe a restaurant or dinner for an after the theater snack!? what ever it is it takes up a lot of space so I'm sure something big will be there!

How big is the auditorium it will probable take up most of the second floor with at least 10 or more seats hoping for 15 - 20!

I'm sure that the interior details will be impressive!

I'm hopping for a February first release, but it probably will be March like most of the Modular Building, If we are lucky we will get HR images middle of January, if not then a couple of days before the release!

Any big event before LEGO World Copenhagen in February?

All in all i'm very excited about the new set and can't wait to get my hands on it! then another year of yearning for the next one! :cry3:

Ooo. Now you are making me thirst for an Art Deco style building. Maybe a train station?

Not sure there are that many Art Deco Stations - Union Station in LA and Cincinattta many some others I can't think of now. The majority of Art Deco Buildings are either Theatres (The Wiltern, Fargo etc), office buildings (Bullocks, Chrysler etc) or Court Houses (Jefferson, Jackson etc).

Can't see us getting a random office building or a court house (too similar a concept to Town Hall) so can''t see us getting an Art Deco buiding for a long, long while. Unless they do Miami style beach houses or a bank (like the first national). The bank might work

Anyway am being curtish. I agree that it is a art deco and oriental fusion that does bring to mind LA and the golden days of cinema. And it is very nice building I will definately be getting one. I guess was just hoping for pure Art Deco.

Does anybody reckon for the cinema their will be a light up brick behind a sticker in the booth where the projector is, that would be cool if there was a big lego picture on the cinema screen with a light up brick, I'd doubt it would happen though

Major problem with Art Deco is that, in this part of the world at least, most Art Deco buildings are white. And only white. Its also a very minimalist style so very hard to represent in minifig scale. I'm pretty certain that this would be a contributory factor to TLG not doing a purely Art Deco modular.

There's a lot more than just cinemas and massive office buildings though, these are a few from Dublin - a car dealers, a tyre factory (!) and a much smaller office.

This one's a reproduction as the original building was knocked illegally, but it looks much the same

Only a facade left and integrated in to a department store... starting to think we don't really treat them very well here!

Kodak Ireland, as was

Edited by Cian

Very nice :blush:.

But.I wonder how she deals with the interior of the theater, I expect spectacular decorations, Snot plush seats, plenty of details like inside done with carpet motif, perhaps with some canvas scene. As it is so we get bare walls, no carpet, white linen and seats will be this http://acimg.auctiva...img/5245352.jpg .

ouch my wallet !!! oh well ill get this one too .....

hopefully we could get a airport modular soon !!!!

Did you see at least airport in your life? :grin::wacko: Every airport need much space, so airport in street is stupidity. Edited by Ondra

Woohoo! That looks Fantastic... Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Too bad tehe minifigures never match with anything.. I always mix them with the coll. mini figures.

I see the Hollywood Starlet walking down the Cinema.. :-)

Ill wonder whats inside..

Downstairs: Ticketbox, Bar to drinks some. Waiting Area

Upstairs: The Cinema with red chairs and a bog screen or more a theater stage!

Can't wait to add this to my street.. now im faced with a dillema, seeing that TLG already 'leaked' a picture to start the buzz, it can't be long before this beauty hits the stores!

Now i am getting the horizon express january first and are wondering if i should wait and get this one instead, but i can't wait until march to get my new lego fix...

Thank you GRogall for sharing the new pics. Always exciting to see the new modular. I am glad it is a corner building as I could use another one in my city. The building looks like a another solid additon to the series. I will wait for higher resolution pics before making further judgements. The car is not very good but I believe I see 1 x 3 x 1 black car doors on it. If this is correct and makes the final version, Lego has brought those back into production in black and that will be nice for car MOCs.

I was worried when I heard it was going to be a budget set, but I think getting another Creator modular is the best - maybe another more traditional modular will come out in the fall. The only thing I'm concerned about is the marquee - that better be a printed tile and not a sticker.

This is supposed to be a budget set? Does that mean the price will be lower than the traditional $149.99 for regular sized modulars or is that in comparison to the $199.99 Town Hall which is the new normal?

Thanks for the pictures!

I love this set. I can't wait to get it. I think it is the best so far out of the modulars. As much as I love CC and GG, this is such a beautiful style. I'm sure some of the little details will be irrelevant for me (similar to the painter in the Pet Shop), but I can't wait to add this to my street. I have the other modulars disassembled currently, but I can picture keeping this one together. We'll see if my viewpoints change when I see better pictures.

I am not a car MOCer, but I will agree that car is not too pretty. I'll wait to see if it looks better upon closer inspection.

Edit: Also, I actually like how they spelled Palace with the letters in that style. The "a"s make it look neater being lower case like that. (IMO)

Edited by TheLegoDr