18 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Bellow average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Excellent

First review in a while so I thought I’d bring you some of the new Legend of Chima sets to take a look at so let’s start with the second smallest set.

Set Name: Crawley's Claw Ripper

Set Number: 70001

Number of Pieces: 139

Figures:2

Released: 2013

List Price: £12.99

70001 Peeron.com

70001 Bricklink Catalog

Lets us begin with the box.

70001-01.jpg

Action show with a lot of blur, not my photography!

70001-02.jpg

The back shows just about everything you can do with the set.

Now for what’s inside.

70001-03.jpg

Not really any surprises apart from two instruction booklets.

Personally I’m not sure why you would need two instruction booklets with a set this small. However there are a lot more adverts in these than usual.

70001-04.jpg

Some interesting parts to take a look at, the new sword is rather oversized and takes a lightsaber blade inside. I also quite like the inverted rocket engine in trans-blue.

70001-05.jpg

Minifugres

Let be honest I doubt you’re going to buy this set for the model, though it is good (we’re getting to it), you’re buying this set for the figures so let’s take a look at those now.

In this set we get two figures the Crocodile Crawley and the Lion Leonidas (insert SPARTA joke here!) Both figures are really beautiful and very well made so lets take a look.

70001-06.jpg

[url=

The Models

The models is a nice vechical, which as with all the Chima vechicals looks like the animals that own them can you guess who owns this?

70001-10.jpg

The end of instruction book 1.

I thought this was the head as a built it but it turns it’s the whole vehicle body.

70001-12.jpg

I didn’t notice earlier but there were some stickers in the box, they’d ended up inside the second instruction booklet. They go on top of the crocs head which is there.

70001-13.jpg

Once the head is mounted on the front it looks like this and rather croc like.

70001-14.jpg

Time to add the wheels and tracks and the crock vehicle is completed.

70001-15.jpg

Time for Crawley to get into the driving seat.

70001-16.jpg

When the vehicle’s in motion the tracks move forward with the ripping blades come out near the front.

70001-17.jpg

Complete set

70001-18.jpg

The Rating System

Figures: 10/10 (Only 2 figures but both of them are exquisite and some of the best Lego have ever made.)

Parts 9/10 (Some interesting new parts especially the head and the new colour)

Fun Fun Fun 7/10 (Quite a bit to do)

Design 9/10 (An excellent design)

Price 8/10 (The price seems a tad high, too me but Lego keeps increasing in price.)

Grand Total 43/50 (A good sets but a way from greatness)

Conclusions

So this is the first Legends of Chima set I’ve got my hands on and I’ve slightly mixed feelings about it. I think the figures are really very impressive and that the model is quite impressive. However I do have some concern about the prices, which seems higher than it should be as part of a general trend of ever increasing Lego prices.

However I still think the set is well worth getting you get to excellent figures and a fun model. So What do you think?

Ps 70003 review coming up shortly!

Let me be the first one to say : this is a avarage set .

For me the figs are not that great, The few cheese and other slopes in the new green on the other hand are a total win !! I hope the price here in the Netherlands will be around € 10 , More than that ... nah... not worth it.

Can you add a picture of the parts layed out ??

grtz Saint

Thank you for the review! I like the new sword and the new minifigures! :tongue::grin:

I am only looking towards to the minifigures and the accessories. :sceptic::wink:

Thanks for the review! I had initially stuck this set on my list just for the figures, and it looks like that reason is going to stand for the time being. I don't have any interest in the vehicles from this line; the real challenge will be finding out different uses for some of the more specialized parts. The minifigures really are the selling point of this line for me. Thankfully, I've got more than enough other purchases to buy in 2013 to get too carried away worrying about Chima...

It's definitely good to see Crawley's Claw Ripper 'in the flesh', sort of speak. Thanks again! :classic:

Thank you for the review!

Oh dear the lion without his headpiece :sick:

I like the way the crocodile shape was constructed on the vehicle, but the front wheels seem too obscure to me :tongue:

Thanks for the review!

This set looks great! I like the great amounts of colourful printing on the minfigures.

Definitely in my shopping list once it is out! :wink:

Wow. This set looks a lot better than it did before. For one thing, the vehicle seems a lot more compact. And the cockpit and head are great.

Thanks, i was hoping to find a torso to customize it as a new killer croc, but there aren't any in that colour.

The only thing that bugs me with this set is that leonidas looks like he's drunk,just look at his face.He has cool name but his face just nop,lego could have done a better job.

Personally, it kind of surprises me that so many people are upset at Leonidas having a dopey-looking face. Personally, I appreciate the shift, since in Ninjago, characters who were played for comic relief were almost invariably the bad guys. By having more heroes portrayed as silly or clumsy, we could potentially see more villains with actual characterization.

It confuses me a bit aswell though. I thought he was going to be the leading goodguy. You can't be stoned and be a superheroe at the same time though.

It confuses me a bit aswell though. I thought he was going to be the leading goodguy. You can't be stoned and be a superheroe at the same time though.

Nope, Laval is going to be the leading good guy. Not sure where you got the idea that Leonidas would be the lead good guy-- before it was confirmed as Laval, I thought it'd be Lennox (who appears in the most sets in the first wave, including the starter set).

Thank you for this review. A fine fun playing set indeed, but the Crocs vehicle does not really appeal as much as other counterparts. The main attraction is definitely the minifigs.

Nope, Laval is going to be the lead goo guy. Not sure where you got the idea that Leonidas would be the lead good guy-- before it was confirmed as Laval, I thought it'd be Lennox (who appears in the most sets in the first wave, including the starter set).

I never bother with the storytelling. I thoughtit was the obvious choice, King Leonidas who is also a lion. King of the jungle.

I never bother with the storytelling. I thought it was the obvious choice, King Leonidas who is also a lion. King of the jungle.

True, but despite there being a historical figure named Leonidas who was a king, there are dozens of other people who were not royalty who held that name. It'd be like having a series with a character named David and assuming he's royalty on account of the biblical King David.

There is apparently a king of the lions, whose name has not yet been revealed. He has a gray mane and beard. Laval is the prince of the lion tribe and presumably the main character.

Thanks for the review. This is a decent enough set, mostly for the minifigs and olive green parts but the vehicles is actually pretty cool too, looks crocodile-esque and has a great ripping action when the vehicle is in motion. Leonidas is a great wee character despite looking a bit stoned. ;)

...You can't be stoned and be a superheroe at the same time though.

...until NOW!

I have a problem with the back of the box, I got this set (which is fantastic!) and after building it noticed there is a weapon shown for Crawley on the back of the box, which is only included in another set =-{

70001-02.jpg

The back shows just about everything you can do with the set.

It wouldn't be a particularly hard bit to build if you have the parts but I can see some children being very upset that their new toy is "incomplete" It seems that in the building sets the pilot of the craft doesn't usually get a weapon, or only a small one. I'm 5 sets into the line and love it, just wish they would have shown it without the un-included items.