Sign in to follow this  
Norrington

A mighty English Warship

That's quite good... I like the curved lines. Tumblehome technique is also nice... I have the strange feeling a member called T made these...

Well, same thing as in the othe thread, they were both by the same guy.

But grumble grumble! He doesn't have any pictures we can post in our threads because they're too BIIIIIIIIG.

So here's a thumbnail...

frigate_1_018.jpg_thumb.jpg

This topic seems to be a complete miss. Nobody interested in discussing a mighty English Warship - or has it already been discussed in another thread?

This topic seems to be a complete miss. Nobody interested in discussing a mighty English Warship - or has it already been discussed in another thread?

This ship was never discussed in a thread of its own. I somehow missed this thread...

But I just checked and it was already part of the Index. It's certainly worth a discussion!

So here's my feedback: The creator used the same technique to get the tumblehome-effect as I did on L'Orient (by accident because I didn't really look at this ship before).

He has invested a lot of time in making the hull. It has a nice line/form.

I would have used other windows for the castle and the normal (fully) brown bow/stern sections. The red in here is 1 color too much. The masts should be a bit higher.

But overall, this is one of the better ships I would say!

This ship was never discussed in a thread of its own. I somehow missed this thread...But I just checked and it was already part of the Index. It's certainly worth a discussion!

That's the problem with MOC threads that don't have a picture of the MOC at the top - too easily overlooked.

So here's my feedback: The creator used the same technique to get the tumblehome-effect as I did on L'Orient (by accident because I didn't really look at this ship before).

Could you explain what a "tumblehome" is Mr Bonaparte?

(I have the Dictionary.com definition in front of me but I think it would be more interesting to read it in your words)

Could you explain what a "tumblehome" is Mr Bonaparte?

(I have the Dictionary.com definition in front of me but I think it would be more interesting to read it in your words)

Tumblehome is the narrowing of a ship's hull with greater distance above the water-line.

The HMS Victory is a good example. The higher above the water, the narrower the hull becomes:

200px-Battleship1.jpg

That's the problem with MOC threads that don't have a picture of the MOC at the top - too easily overlooked.

Here is a resized version (I've put it in my brickshelf folder).

Can you or Mr. Tiber add it to the first post?

frigate_1_016.jpg

Tumblehome is the narrowing of a ship's hull with greater distance above the water-line.

The HMS Victory is a good example. The higher above the water, the narrower the hull becomes:

200px-Battleship1.jpg

Here is a resized version (I've put it in my brickshelf folder).

Can you or Mr. Tiber add it to the first post?

frigate_1_016.jpg

You were faster than me lad, I also resized one myself to add to the first post... Well, I'll add it! ;-)

Mr Tiber

Ahhhhhh much better - I can look at the ship while I type! Good work lads!

I'm not sure about the blue hatches though, do they stand out too much?

Ahhhhhh much better - I can look at the ship while I type! Good work lads!

I'm not sure about the blue hatches though, do they stand out too much?

Let's say I would have used different (less) colors.

This ship has brown, red, yellow, white, black, grey for the deck, dark grey for those platforms in the masts. That's 7 colors on 1 ship...

But sometimes people don't have the luxory to care about the colors when they have to work with the bricks they own.

Which colours would you have used, Mr Bonaparte?

I would use only these schemes Mr. Phes:

- yellow/black/white/brown-->only with standard hull pieces, not with brick-build hull (except rigging).

- red/black/brown

Why? Historical accuracy and they look very good!

Ah yeah? So what colour hatches would you have?

In the yellow/black scheme, the hatches should be black.

This way they give the impression they are always open (and might make a pirate think twice before attacking).

This would also be the historical accurate choice.

Picture of HMS Victory with the black hatches, some open, some closed:

Victory1.jpg

Ok, what do we think of the sails? They appear to be made from paper - is that suitable or should they be made from something else?

Ok, what do we think of the sails? They appear to be made from paper - is that suitable or should they be made from something else?

I'd try and find something else, because: Paper is to white,

Paper rips easy, and it hasn't got the "cloth feeling".

I don't know what material you should use though :-$

Mr Tiber

I'd try and find something else, because: Paper is to white,

Paper rips easy, and it hasn't got the "cloth feeling".

I don't know what material you should use though :-$

Mr Tiber

I think it's a good idea to start with paper sails (to get the right form and sizes).

Later, you can replace the paper sails and use them as a model for making the final sails.

I'm also searching for good material to make sails...

Has anybody heard of Evil Willy? He made a Sail Making Tutorial once, maybe check that thread for ideas :-D

Has anybody heard of Evil Willy? He made a Sail Making Tutorial once, maybe check that thread for ideas :-D

I've heard of him!!

Yes check that tutorial.

The sails on the Arbiter II are made of 'basic outdoor canvas', or that is what the little tag on the roll said. If you like those sails, I say try it out. it is fairly stiff and it dyes well and as far as i know, canvas is what pirates used to make sails as well!!

Maybe even put a link to the tutorial in this thread or something outrageously convenient like that. Oh the things we could do lads!

Maybe even put a link to the tutorial in this thread or something outrageously convenient like that. Oh the things we could do lads!

Maybe have some Phred that's bored one evening to post on this thread the link to this tutorial that you guys are talking about X-D :

Making Sails Tutorial

Hope that helps,

P

Edit:

You're too awesome Phred! But maybe there was nobody in particular in mind for posting the link.

Thanx Mr. Phes.

Why are bored? You should build a MOC or something to keep yourself amused.

OK i will. bye

You're too awesome Phred! But maybe there was nobody in particular in mind for posting the link.

Why are bored? You should build a MOC or something to keep yourself amused.

The sails on the Arbiter II are made of 'basic outdoor canvas', or that is what the little tag on the roll said. If you like those sails, I say try it out. it is fairly stiff and it dyes well and as far as i know, canvas is what pirates used to make sails as well!!

I would really want to try this, but have no idea where to go in Belgium for buying it...

Outdoor canvas... what would it normally be used for?