ZCerberus

New Covenant WIP

thindexedgif.gif 24d

Okay, so a little background... the old Covenant... found here,

was built out of left over parts when I took the hulls off the old Arbiter (now Venganza) to make that ship white. I didn't really think much about it, I just sort of built it.

Those ships were OLD. Maybe 7 or 8 years since building, but I had not done anything with Lego pirates until I rebuilt the my Imperial Harbor now called Fort Brighton. Since then I have been rebuilding old ships. As a result I stole the hulls from the Covenant to make the new Sienna. This of course meant I had hulls left over from the old Sienna to make the new Covenant.

Anyhow, as a result I wanted some ideas as to how to remake the Covenant. I opened this thread to discuss it. I ended up using the designs there to build the Arbiter II which is getting a mini overhaul in February.

However, one idea I did go forward with, which was to try to use the new colors to make the ship, namely, mid stone and bluish gray.

The results are mixed, and the ship is still incomplete. I think there are some good ideas, but because I am so limited in piece choices with the new colors, the ship has some weird element and less detail than the new Sienna or Arbiter II do.

I think I might end up taking some of the ideas learned here and then applying the red, black and dark gray color scheme of my other ships to make this ship a little more detailed and consistent with my other recent works. Anyhow, some pics of how the ship turned out with the new colors used.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Not bad... Not bad at all! But please resize your pictures, the are kinda big... If you don't know how to do this, check this thread. The custom cannons look nice. The colour scheme isn't bad, but the black from the cabin doesn't flow so well with the gray from the rest. On the first picture, It looks like there is no cabin...

It seems the ship is stearless! There is no rudder! Have you forgot the rudder or is it intended to be like that?

Nice ship Mr Z!

Not bad... Not bad at all! But please resize your pictures, the are kinda big... If you don't know how to do this, check this thread. The custom cannons look nice. The colour scheme isn't bad, but the black from the cabin doesn't flow so well with the gray from the rest. On the first picture, It looks like there is no cabin...

It seems the ship is stearless! There is no rudder! Have you forgot the rudder or is it intended to be like that?

Nice ship Mr Z!

I didn't forget the rudder... I just don't have the right color pieces to finish it!! if you look close you will notice other things missing too... like a mast section perhaps? ;) Anyhow, it is also largely why it is black in the cabin area, I was out of mid stone and bluish gray! I also noticed the vanishing cabin in the first picture, but since I am not sure I am going to the color scheme, I didn't retake the pics. I might be able to edit and lighten them though! we'll see!

Also, the pics are 1024x 768. I think is a good size! They are already resized from the res on my camera. I COULD make them smaller, but maybe you just need to make your screen bigger! (unless you mean too big in terms of bytes, in which case, I apologize that you are on dial up! sorry man!!)

Finally, like I said, I am thinking of going back to the dark gray, red, black scheme, I just wanted to see how it would look in the new colors, it isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

I didn't forget the rudder... I just don't have the right color pieces to finish it!! if you look close you will notice other things missing too... like a mast section perhaps? ;) Anyhow, it is also largely why it is black in the cabin area, I was out of mid stone and bluish gray! I also noticed the vanishing cabin in the first picture, but since I am not sure I am going to the color scheme, I didn't retake the pics. I might be able to edit and lighten them though! we'll see!

Missing mast section?? Where?

Also, the pics are 1024x 768. I think is a good size! They are already resized from the res on my camera. I COULD make them smaller, but maybe you just need to make your screen bigger! (unless you mean too big in terms of bytes, in which case, I apologize that you are on dial up! sorry man!!)

Well they are not too big but this size is a bit inconvienient...

Finally, like I said, I am thinking of going back to the dark gray, red, black scheme, I just wanted to see how it would look in the new colors, it isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

You're right, I'm not really fond of the colours as well. It looks like a floating castle a bit with this colour scheme...

This looks to be quite a heavy duty ship and its a vast improvement over its predecessor.

However, I can't help but notice that the parrot and monkey haven't made it into the new version. Are they alive and well or did they perish?

This looks to be quite a heavy duty ship and its a vast improvement over its predecessor.

However, I can't help but notice that the parrot and monkey haven't made it into the new version. Are they alive and well or did they perish?

Yes, in fact they are alive and well, but I think the ship is missing a few details like, I don't know, sails and mast sections!! I think I need to add those before the monkey can move in. I am also short latticed windows and an interior of the captain's very small cabin. In short, I am going to redo it in red, dark gray and black so I can get rid of some of the strange elements, and get the design a bit better. I think it'll be good if it so also will match my other ships a little better.

I have been thinking about using the midstone and bluish grey on some small cutters/sloops. I don't fell like I have enough... err... any civilian ships or small utility ships, so I think I will be designing a couple soon.

Also, thought the type of ship wasn't specified in the pictures, it is looking like it will be a brig. I thought about doing a schooner, or a barq as per some suggestion from Phred, but the stern castle kind of makes that unrealistic/ not really as possiblity!

Missing mast section?? Where?

rear mast, bottom most section. Look carefully, you will see it is not there!!

Well they are not too big but this size is a bit inconvienient...

maybe instead I should only post one or two pictures with a link to the BS folder. That would load faster. From now I will try to limit the pics in the post and give some links.

You're right, I'm not really fond of the colours as well. It looks like a floating castle a bit with this colour scheme...

yes, well some interested to see how the scheme was going to work out. Phes and Phred both express some minor interest in seeing how it would look with the bluish gray and midstone in there. I tried it, but to me, it isn't as nice looking as the Sienna

Yes, in fact they are alive and well, but I think the ship is missing a few details like, I don't know, sails and mast sections!!

Silly me! I didn't realise this is a work in progress, so yes you should get the ship finished off before letting the pets aboard or you'll have all kinds of problems... Imagine that monkey running away with the building tools...

Silly me! I didn't realise this is a work in progress, so yes you should get the ship finished off before letting the pets aboard or you'll have all kinds of problems... Imagine that monkey running away with the building tools...

Indeed!

Yes this ship is still in progress and will be for a little longer while I convert the color scheme. It was obviously not as polished as my other ships. In fact of me 'big three' (Arbiter II, Coevenant, Sienna) only the Sienna is done as I am working on changing the sail plan and making the Arbiter II a little longer and more detailed. Target completion is the end of February while I am on Spring Break.

The Covenant, however will be worked on in the mean time and my be finished earlier than that. I will try to keep updating as I make progress and receive the necessary parts!

Are you going to add sails and riggings too?

After the color change... yes! Sails at least. I made some dails for the Arbiter II out of canvas and they worked out prety well, so I think I will use the same material for some on the Covenant. I don't know if it will need functional rigging like the Sienna though.

Will you use a unique design for the sails or will they be Imperial Flagship duplicates? Or is a question like that too far in the future to think about yet?

Will you use a unique design for the sails or will they be Imperial Flagship duplicates? Or is a question like that too far in the future to think about yet?

Well I am completely removing the Imperial Flagship ones from the Arbiter II I only put those ones on the Arbiter II (they came off the Venganza a.k.a Old Arbiter) because I had no time or materials to make new ones! Go see the Arbiter II thread here to see the new sail plan for that ship, but make sure to scroll to the bottom so you can see this image in particular:

31.jpg

So I will have access to the sails from the Arbiter II if I want to use the ones with the Imperial logos. However, I plan to make sails for the Covenant in much the same way as I did for the Arbiter II.

That means the nicer looking sails from the Arbiter II will go to the Fortune and the Adventure, which might also get light overhauls, but nothing spectacular!

I checked the Arbiter II thread but I couldn't work exactly out which image you meant.

Was it this one?

No no... what I meant was I made a new sail plan for the Arbiter II so instead of the image you posted, I wanted you to look at the new sail plan idea for the one mast I redesigned. I said to scroll down because this image

27.jpg

Was before I adjusted the sails to get to this image

31.jpg

here is another...

32.jpg

That is the sail plan for the main mast on the Arbiter II. Just check that link.

Ahhhhhhh now I get you!

You're going to have quite a "tall ship" there!

Well that is for the Arbiter II, which is also going to be 24 studs longer than the current version, so I think it'll work out alright!

The sculpting of the ship is very good. But grey will always be stone, or at the least metal to me, so a grey ship seems a little strange, I think I would prefer it in any 'painted' colour... That said it is still an excellent MOC.

God Bless,

Nathan

Is this thread a conversation between me and ZCerberus or something? Why are ye other laddies commenting?

You tell them Phes!

Mr Z, Why do you call this a WIP? It looks finished to me...

Well I know people get distracted by all the pictures, but if you read all the posts, you would see I am not staying with this color scheme. I made it out of the current colors because when I opened a thread for this ship a while back, I suggested doing it in the new colors and there was some positive feedback on that idea. I tried it out, but I don't love the scheme, and I didn't have enough parts to finish everything as I would have liked. I am going to change the ship over to red, black, and dark gray to match the Arbiter II and Sienna.

The sculpting of the ship is very good. But grey will always be stone, or at the least metal to me, so a grey ship seems a little strange, I think I would prefer it in any 'painted' colour... That said it is still an excellent MOC.

Agreed. Read previous statements!

Well I know people get distracted by all the pictures, but if you read all the posts, you would see I am not staying with this color scheme. I made it out of the current colors because when I opened a thread for this ship a while back, I suggested doing it in the new colors and there was some positive feedback on that idea. I tried it out, but I don't love the scheme, and I didn't have enough parts to finish everything as I would have liked. I am going to change the ship over to red, black, and dark gray to match the Arbiter II and Sienna.

Well, I wouldn't call it a WIP then, but a prototype...

Well, I wouldn't call it a WIP then, but a prototype...

Even the prototype was missing the rigging and sails and missing some pieces. I guess it is a little more fleshed out than a normal WIP would be, but it is still in progress, whether we call it a prototype or something else.

I love it, probally the best pirate moc I've seen in a wi'll(no offense anybody) and trust me I have seen a lot. I love the color scheme thew most. :x

I love it, probally the best pirate moc I've seen in a wi'll(no offense anybody) and trust me I have seen a lot. I love the color scheme thew most. :x

Than perhaps you will be disappointed to discover the color scheme is not going to be kept. I just have too many weird elements in there and it looks, like Norro said, a little like floating rocks! Maybe smaller ships could handle the scheme, but I am not a huge fan on this large a ship!

hey, i did a rebuild in the new colors it is missing a few elements, like sails, and an anchor, but it is mostly there. I am pretty sure it has become a Brig, so my sail plan will be Brig-ish, but be ready late tonight (in the US) for a few new pictures!!

EDIT:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! My internet at home broke down last night, so I could not post the pictures... I will today, the new version is a 'fair amount' better than the old in my opinion... and the monkey and the parrot have moved aboard!