Splat

42010 + 42011 Dragster - Pictorial Review

000.jpg

Now that the the 42010 + 42011 'Dragster Combi Model' instructions have been provided by DLuders, and have finally made their way onto the Lego Technic Website (here or here, but not on the Lego Customer Service Building Instruction page yet), I present my pictorial review of this model. I won't spend too much time talking about the boxes or parts as I have already covered those topics in my pictorial reviews of the individual sets (42010 Off-road Racer and 42011 Race Car). All pictures can be clicked on for a larger view, and are viewable in my favicon.brickshelf.com.png Brickshelf folder (once moderated).

Set: 42010 + 42011

Name: Dragster Combi Model

Theme: Technic

Year: 2013

Pieces: 231 (+100 spares)

Price: US $39.98 (US $19.99 + US $19.99), CAD 49.98 (CAD 24.99 + CAD 24.99)

Links:

42010: favicon.lego.com.png Lego Shop@Home (US) favicon.lego.com.png Lego Technic Website favicon.lego.com.png Lego Technic Instructions favicon.brickset.com.png Brickset favicon.bricklink.com.png Bricklink favicon.rebrickable.com.png Rebrickable

42011: favicon.lego.com.png Lego Shop@Home (US) favicon.lego.com.png Lego Technic Website favicon.lego.com.png Lego Technic Instructions favicon.brickset.com.png Brickset favicon.bricklink.com.png Bricklink favicon.rebrickable.com.png Rebrickable

Pictures: favicon.brickshelf.com.png Brickshelf (once moderated)

Related Reviews: favicon.eurobricks.com.png 42010 Off-road Racer favicon.eurobricks.com.png 42011 Race Car

The Boxes

001.jpg

The back of both boxes shows the Dragster Combi Model, and states 'This building instruction only at: LEGO.com/technic'. This message is also reiterated in the building instructions for each set, as well as the supplementary booklet that comes with both sets.

002.jpg

Building Instruction

The instructions for this 'Dragster Combi Model' don't come as a printed booklet with either of the two sets, but must be downloaded from the LEGO.com/technic website, via this direct link to the PDF, or via this link provided by DLuders. The PDF is listed as a 7.77MB download, and contains 45 pages. The quality of the PDF is a lot better than the quality of the A Model instructions of either set, and, as is typical for download-only B Model instructions, these instructions feature a white background which will save ink/toner when printed. :thumbup:

Random page from the instructions (Page 41, Step 28):

005.jpg

Pieces

To make this 'Dragster Combi Model' you will either have to:

1. pull apart both the 42010 Off-road Racer and 42011 Race Car sets,
  2. buy another copy of each set, or
  3. already have the pieces available in your collection.

The last option might be a bit difficult at the moment as both of these sets contain new pieces. For details of the new pieces, please refer to my previous pictorial reviews (42010 Off-road Racer and 42011 Race Car).

I took the second option, and bought another copy of each of the sets.

The pieces from 42010 Off-road Racer (on the right) and 42011 Race Car (on the left):

006.jpg

The build

This 'Dragster Combi Model' uses more pieces than either of the A Models, so there are slightly more pages of instructions, and a few sub-models, but it has about the same difficulty as the A Model of either set.

In my previous pictorial review, a request was made by Lost_In_Noise to have some shots of the build process. So here they are... (remember that you can click on each picture to see a larger version)

Page 4, Step 5, and Page 5 Step 8:

007.jpg008.jpg

Page 8, Step 10, and Page 13 Step 15:

009.jpg010.jpg

Page 16, Step 18:

011.jpg

Page 24, Sub-model, and Page 25 Step 19:

012.jpg013.jpg

Page 28, Step 20:

014.jpg015.jpg

By turning an axle, which turns a worm gear, which then turns one of the new 8 tooth gears, the driver's cage opens and closes.

Page 35, Step 27, and Page 40, Sub-model:

016.jpg017.jpg

The sub-model also features a mechanism using a worm gear and the other new 8 tooth gear to enable to rear wing/spoiler to be adjustable.

Page 45, Step 32:

018.jpg

The completed model.

The Dragster Combi Model

018.jpg019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg?024.jpg?

025.jpg?

026.jpg?

I like that TLG added the shift indicator light into the cockpit of the Dragster:

028.jpg

Spare Pieces

The 42010 Off-road Racer contained 160 pieces, with 7 spares.

The 42011 Race Car contained 158 pieces, with 6 spares.

That adds up to a total of 331 pieces for both sets combined.

The 'Dragster Combi Model' has a total of 231 pieces (if I counted correctly), utilizing about 70% of the pieces from both sets, and leaving 100 spares left over.

I would have liked to see a higher percentage of parts used, and would have liked to see both pull-back motors used in this model.

027.jpg

All Three Models

029.jpg

030.jpg

Conclusions

First of all, I would like to re-state that I wish TLG would release the instructions for the B Models and Combi Models' at the same time that the respective A Models sets are available to purchase! The instructions for this 'Dragster Combi Model' only became available about one month after I had already received my copy of the 42011 Race Car.

I'm not sure that the wait was worth it either, as this model is a little bit disappointing in a number of ways. Although the combined model uses more pieces then either of the A Models, it only uses 70% of the total number of pieces available, and I was hoping to see both pull-back motors used at once. This model is also heavier that either of the A Models, which means that it doesn't perform as well either.

42010 Off-road Racer:   low-pile carpet = 9.60m (31.45'), smooth tiles = 11.50m (37.75')
42011 Race Car:        low-pile carpet = 7.85m (25.75'), smooth tiles =  8.55m (28.05')
42010 + 42011 Dragster: low-pile carpet = 5.65m (18.55'), smooth tiles =  6.30m (20.65')

If you want the best performing model, I suggest getting the 42010 Off-road Racer.

I think TLG did an okay job with the use of colour in this model, and while I didn't use the stickers, most of them look okay in the combined model (see below), except for the stickers on the rear wing/spoiler which look a little bit out-of-place.

032.jpg

This model does have some nice details though, such as the engine air intakes and exhaust pipes, shift indicator in the cockpit, and even 'pedals' for the driver. However, while this model is easily recognisable as a dragster, it is still out of proportion when compared to real dragsters. The back is way too big, the chassis isn't skinny enough, and the rear tires aren't large enough.

033.jpg

On the plus side, it is nice that both of the extra features (opening/closing of the driver's cage, and the adjustable rear wing/spoiler) can be controlled via axles sticking out the back of the vehicle.

So given the above comments, is this model greater than the sum of it's parts? I would have to say 'no'.

If you can only afford one of these sets, I would choose the 42010 Off-road Racer.

If you can afford both sets, I would keep them built as the 42010 Off-road Racer and the 42011 RaceCar.

If you can afford to get two of each set, then the 'Dragster Combi Model' is still an ok model, but I don't think that it is a 'must have'.

As always, you're opinion may vary.

Edited by Splat

Thank you for a good review. It's a pitty the second motor is not used, since for double heavy model, two motors would be just right to keep the performance.

My son likes to built these combined models and I am glad TLG adds these BIs also for the technic models. It is also a strong motivation for him to take apart models and to create his own combinations.

Edited by hrontos

I used both motors and the torque was extremely strong. Flipped the car backwards.

Took the 42010 and added the second motor to the front wheels. As soon as you let it go the front wheels would hop a little due to the light weight. The results, much much faster take off.... :)

Edited by 750ACE

This b models is great idea, but design is in my opinion very bad.To many colours is main problem and why they not use both motors like in old pullback sets.

Main models are great perfect for kids, but this :thumbdown: .

@ 750ACE: Perhaps you could add a "wheelie bar" on the back of the 42010+42011 Dragster (using the extra parts that came with both sets), to keep it from flipping over backwards when both Pullback Motors are used:

gallery_3_27_51371.jpg2009%20Indy%20NO%20Jr%20final.JPG

Did that. Pretty sweet to see it act realistic off the imaginary line, ha ha. Only problem I ran into was running it in a straight line.

Now the AWD drive 42010 car mod I did was much quicker and drove straight. I changed out all four wheels from my 8109 and it made the car ride smooth and quicker. Front wheel hop from lack of traction is pretty cool feature haha. Although if my real life Subaru did that i would be pissed.

Is this the first set to have been combined?

Nope, I remember having instructions for one set combining three other sets. Although I can't remember where the instructions came from, were they included in one of sets or did I get them somewhere else...

001.jpg

sorry to bump thios thread, but I was looking for th einstructions on lego.com and could not find them through the normal customer service portal.

So, I went to EB and tataaa! there is a link to the LEGO online building instructions, but on the Technic "mini-site"

Any idea/guesses why those instructions are not available through the normal portal?

Gerald

sorry to bump thios thread, but I was looking for th einstructions on lego.com and could not find them through the normal customer service portal.

So, I went to EB and tataaa! there is a link to the LEGO online building instructions, but on the Technic "mini-site"

Any idea/guesses why those instructions are not available through the normal portal?

Gerald

This is what is what is written obove the search field on the lego site

We currently have over 3300 building instructions available online which date back to sets packed in 2002.

You can search for replacement instructions by set number, key word or brand. Scroll down after you submit your search to see the results.

There are older instructions available than 2002, but not all I supose.

The sets discussed here date back to 1989 according to brickset.com