______

Marvel Cinematic Universe

5 hours ago, BrickG said:

My question is... what kind of powers does Thor have without his hammer? When he lost his hammer in Thor 1 he oddly seemed to lose ALL of his powers. Some random hospital people could subdue him (for a time). Yet other times like in Agents of Shield it suggests that Asgardians are just plain super strong and bulletproof anyways. In this movie he loses his hammer (as Thor always does) and seems to still super powered to the same level as normal, minus the hammer.

Well from what I remember, Odin took a way most of his powers as some sort of lesson. 

15 hours ago, BrickG said:

Next Thor looks more interesting than the other ones. I love what they've done with Thor but at the same time I think Thor 1 and 2 are at best average movies (especially 1... that love story comes about because Thor has muscles...).

My question is... what kind of powers does Thor have without his hammer? When he lost his hammer in Thor 1 he oddly seemed to lose ALL of his powers. Some random hospital people could subdue him (for a time). Yet other times like in Agents of Shield it suggests that Asgardians are just plain super strong and bulletproof anyways. In this movie he loses his hammer (as Thor always does) and seems to still super powered to the same level as normal, minus the hammer.

WAT SENSE?

Anyways, look forward to it.

I think it's different because in Thor 1 he's stripped of everything that makes him Asgardian. Odin basically turns him into a mortal (I think? This is my guess) but in this movie he's still asgardian, just without the powers of mjolnir (flight, summon thunder). We've seen him wrestle hulk in Avengers 1 for a bit without the hammer so I'm assuming it's like that

Is Thor usually stereotyped as a 'dumb blonde' character in the comics? Cause that's what he seems to be turning out as in the movies..

5 hours ago, Ceroknight said:

Is Thor usually stereotyped as a 'dumb blonde' character in the comics? Cause that's what he seems to be turning out as in the movies..

Well I prefer Thor in the movies.

He's got a secret identity in the comics. Donald Blake. He's a doctor and surgeon, about as opposite as his superhero persona as you can get. I've never liked Thor's secret identity. I prefer warrior Thor. Plus there's already a surgeon super hero in the form of Doctor Strange and his secret identity actually makes sense and fits his character... So he's not dumb in the movies. But in the comics it's kind of weird because he can act REALLY dumb as Thor but is also a really good doctor who is smart, but doesn't ever seem smart when he's Thor...

Edited by BrickG

12 hours ago, Ceroknight said:

Not the comics I have read (which isn't exhaustive, but it's something). Although, I agree with BrickG above, and prefer the stories with Warrior Thor rather than his secret identity Thor. "Donald Blake" was actually used in the first Thor movie as his pseudonym to get him away from SHIELD, which I thought was a brilliant gag.

My favorite iteration of Thor is from the cartoon Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, where Thor was very brave but proud, bullheaded, and impatient, usually charging into battle foolishly before really thinking things through. At one point a villain even makes fun of Thor's bravado, right before taking him down.

I also really like Hemsworth's take on Thor, and am excited for this movie--in part to see him front and center in the MCU again, and also because of the embarrassment of talent involved, both in front of and behind the camera. Also, that was one of the best cut trailers I've seen in a long time. Nice use of Zeppelin, too.

Well...Guardians is set to have five credit scenes...

I'm quite interested to see how they sell Ego being Quill's dad. I hate, at least on paper, this idea...but I'm open to see how it'll play out. 

On 4/12/2017 at 0:51 PM, Ceroknight said:

In the actual mythical tales of Thor he can actually be interpreted to be pretty dense. His main rival is Jormungandr, the world serpent. Which is odd since it holds the world up in a sense and destroying it destroys the world >.>

Some of his adventures (probably altered to mock paganism in general as christian authors translated his tales) make Thor the butt of the joke in the situations depicted. 

In other contexts related to his persona he is very important to many aspects of masculinity and even the home. 

So really he is open to reinvention and there is a context to presenting him as either a genius, a generous and strong character, or outright fool. 

Edited by Japanbuilder

Guardians V.2 was awesome! Definitely one of the MCU's strongest films emotionally. I won't spoil it here, but the ending did take me by surprise. 

Also it's a great time to be following Agents right now, the last few episodes have been great and tense action in an alternative computer reality called "The Framework." Getting to see a "what if" scenario with both Trip and Grant Ward alive (a good non-Hydra version too!) we're great moments. Can't wait to see how the season ends.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

12 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

Also it's a great time to be following Agents right now, the last few episodes have been great and tense action. Can't wait to see how the season ends.

I have not felt this on edge hype each episode since Season 2, I'm loving it right now!

But dude you might wanna spoiler tag some of that, the rest of my UK brethren are only on episode 15, and as I had...

Trips return

spoiled for me, it made me enjoy the reveal less

Edited by Quicksilver838

49 minutes ago, Quicksilver838 said:

I have not felt this on edge hype each episode since Season 2, I'm loving it right now!

But dude you might wanna spoiler tag some of that, the rest of my UK brethren are only on episode 15, and as I had...

Reveal hidden contents

Trips return

spoiled for me, it made me enjoy the reveal less

Sorry! I didn't realize the UK was several episodes behind on Agents. Spoiler tag added.

Ok, GOTG Vol. 2 was amazing! I saw it on opening night and my theater was laughing the whole time until the end, which I'll explain in a bit. Not as good as the first, as that's hard to beat. Nonetheless, a very solid sequel. Drax, Mantis, and Yondu stole the show as they were really great in every scene. Seriously, Drax made me laugh in every scene he was in. Mantis was adorable, way better than the other two girls on the team. Yondu was phenomenal, and I loved the accurate fin.

Here's the reason I really liked Yondu in this movie

His sacrifice almost had me crying, such a sad and surprising moment. His Mary poppins scene was hilarious, such a great character.

Weird, i typed up a whole review for this that took like 15 minutes and not all of it came up. Anyways, stay after to see the 5 post credit scenes. A good sequel, would recommend to all of you.

Edited by Amazing Bricks

The 5 post credit scenes were ridiculous. It was literally too much. Plus most of them had little to do with anything for the average movie goer or even some comic people like me whose simply not familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy enough to give a crap about half the post credit scenes which were useless references to comic-only things which DOES NOT make for good movies (it's like Thor's random pool of visions in the second Avengers...).

Aside from that it was a decent movie. 3.5/5 stars. Enjoyable. Absolutely no risks or anything that would make it stand out significantly but that's what we've come to expect from Marvel movies strategically designed to be as inoffensive and as mass media as possible for the biggest $$$ impact. I kind of thought it felt a bit soulless because of the extremes it went to for this effect. I mean, I get it, Baby Groot is cute, that doesn't mean we need dance numbers and endless scenes pointing it out. It's a bit too much. They took everything they could that was enjoyable in the first movie and multiplied it 10 fold, which doesn't mean it's better (1 is a bit better I think).

I sound harsher than I mean to. It was enjoyable! But that's about it. 

12 hours ago, BrickG said:

The 5 post credit scenes were ridiculous. It was literally too much. Plus most of them had little to do with anything for the average movie goer or even some comic people like me whose simply not familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy enough to give a crap about half the post credit scenes which were useless references to comic-only things which DOES NOT make for good movies (it's like Thor's random pool of visions in the second Avengers...).

Aside from that it was a decent movie. 3.5/5 stars. Enjoyable. Absolutely no risks or anything that would make it stand out significantly but that's what we've come to expect from Marvel movies strategically designed to be as inoffensive and as mass media as possible for the biggest $$$ impact. I kind of thought it felt a bit soulless because of the extremes it went to for this effect. I mean, I get it, Baby Groot is cute, that doesn't mean we need dance numbers and endless scenes pointing it out. It's a bit too much. They took everything they could that was enjoyable in the first movie and multiplied it 10 fold, which doesn't mean it's better (1 is a bit better I think).

I think you are forgetting that marvel does this all the time with their post credit scenes and they show tidbits about what's to come.  As for Thor's visions everyone had visions in that movie when scarlet witch touched them.  The visions were specifically messing with each avenger to make them think they were somewhere else.  And I don't get why you say it doesn't make for good movies its post credit not actually a part of the main film.  I guess I don't get what you are getting at with your first paragraph.  I thought the movie was good.  I liked the comedy.  I wished there was a bit more action but the movie seemed centered on Peter's backstory so I think it was well done for that plot. 

On 5/11/2017 at 7:40 AM, BrickG said:

Really...soulless? What about

Yondu's death...I mean, that team up with Rocket gave a lot of development to Yondu in this movie alone. Then the touching moment with Quill about fathers.

My friend had the same opinion on Groot. I was alright with it... I was a bit bummed by

there only being one "real" credit scene, Warlock one, among the five. I was hoping for an update on what Thanos is up to or a tease for Nova...

On 11/05/2017 at 3:40 PM, BrickG said:

Had little to do with anything? Three of them were just extra funny scenes, and two of them were to set up the future of Guardians films. And in case you haven't noticed, almost all Marvel films are filled with references to comic book only things;

• Iron Man: Nick Fury and Avengers
  • Iron Man 2: Thor
  • Thor: Tesseract
  • Avengers: Thanos
  • Thor: Dark World: Collector and Infinity Stones
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier: Baron Strucker, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch
  • Guardians 1: Howard the Duck
  • Ant Man: Civil War and Wasp
  • Captain America: Civil War: Wakanda
  • Doctor Strange: Baron Mordo's betrayal

Those definitely make for good movies, when its expanding its movie universe every time

What's the problem with the multiple credit scenes? You were going to stay till the end anyway...it's not like they were right after another. 

On the subject of credit scenes, I like every bit that they give extra, so the more the merrier. Especially when you get to see new characters, funny moments, and Adam Warlock. I can not wait to see him in action.

Agents of SHIELD finale:

Well, that was confusing. I think Season 4 has been the best so far but with so many plots up in the air, it was jammed pack finale for the season. 

I liked seeing Coulson take up the Ghost Rider spirit and killing Aida with it. That was pretty satisfying. The Framework needed a better wrap up, Mack got a good final act there, but missing out on framework Ward and Trip was a missed opportunity (or was that Ward pointing a gun at Yo Yo in the start?)

The side plot with General Talbot and Aida trying to use a Daisy LMD to assassinate him has ramifications I am not sure I like. I was enjoying the thought SHIELD was trying to return to the political world during this Season with Jeffery Mace at the helm; but it has panned out to be SHIELD is again mistrusted and maybe even hated. Even worse as Daisy implied the ramifications are that Inhuman intolerance is high right now too (a set up for Inhumans?). 

Then there is that final shot... Coulson in Space?!?!?!? I smell a crossover with either Guardians, Thor: Ragnarok, or Inhumans coming up... But this final shot was definitely what confused me the most.

So yeah it will be interesting to see where Inhumans and AoS Season 5 go from here.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Wow its been a while since posting in this thread. Sorry of the double post, but I figured my thoughts here were new enough they warrant a separate post than just editing onto my previous post.

First off, still excited for Spider-Man, can't wait to see that!

Second, I have been thinking a lot more about Marvel's current plans for future TV series; a bit with Agents and more so with New Warriors. I am bummed Agents will not return to TV until January 2018. With that said, I am excited we are getting a full season with NO breaks inbetween the airing of episodes. That means a full 22 week block of one new Agents episode every weekend!!! That will be fun, but the wait for that will be annoying... Still with Agents having a full length run in Spring 2018, I bet the set up now is pushing towards Infinity War. Maybe, just maybe, we will finally get the Avengers aware that Coulson is still alive... That might be wishful thinking on my part, but I think a lot of fans want to see at least a nod towards that in an Avengers film.

Now with New Warriors... Ant-Man and Guardians has proven that comedy can work well in the MCU Films. Comedy though really is lacking in the TV series right now, and obviously New Warriors looks like it will try and address that. However, I think TV Comedy could be a hard realm for Marvel to conquer. I have made it clear I enjoy North/Henderson's ongoing Squirrel Girl comic run for its comedy and I am excited the character will lead New Warriors; yet I fear much of the humor of the comic book will be hard to translate into TV. How can they play up Squirrel Girl's idolization of Iron Man if Robert Downey Jr. is to expensive to put in the TV show for even a one episode cameo role? Will the TV show include a character like Nancy Whitehead to act as a "straight man" in the wacky world of screwball superheroes or will it omit her to focus on other characters? Will the series play out as a stereotypical-bland young adult drama like so many Freeform shows do or will it be original in its style like the comics that inspired it? What other characters will the series use to introduce beyond the announced cast (Ms. Marvel seems to be a shoe in for later seasons unless she gets her own TV series or movie in the future). How will the show pay for the special effects for things such  Squirrel Girl's tail and squirrel army or Speedball's ummm, speed energy power stuff? Maybe I am worrying about it to hard, but to be honest Squirrel Girl is the only Marvel character I actually read her comics before they announced her inclusion in the MCU so I worry about what will stay the same and what will change. I am sure all the long time comic fans had similar fears for how Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, etc. would be on film too... but this is my first time wondering those things. The show to be successful in my mind has to live up to the comic that inspired it, and I worry it will not. Well I guess I'll just have to wait and see. 

Oh my goodnesssssss. Where on earth did this even come from? I hadn't read anywhere there was supposed to be something. AWESOME!

Wow, I was not expecting that! I knew a teaser was coming, but that was a full-on trailer!

The characters look great and what little we can see of the production design looks fantastic. I didn't know I was looking forward to this movie so much. Now just to avoid any other marketing for it so I don't get over-hyped...

I notice a distinct lack of eye-winking to the greater MCU--which I think is a good thing. Obviously there is some continuity with Klaue and whatever Martin Freeman's character is called, but its not like Tony Stark is in every other frame. It's encouraging, like this movie can go ahead and be its own thing without having strings to hold it down.

Edited by rodiziorobs