DarkSurgeXL

Legends of Chima 2013 (Action Figures)

Am I the only one that feels that HF 2013 and Ninjago 2013's sets got the short end of the stick compared to Chima? Don't get me wrong, I think Chima looks great and I'm going to definitely collect them, but the Chima sets just feel like they have more thought put into them compared to HF and Ninjago this time around, especially in Hero Factory's case.

Back on topic, these figures look great and I adore those heads. And since Chima has more female characters than HF, I'm interested to see how they'll pull them off! :wub:

Also, making Laval mostly gold was a great idea. I wish his minifigure was gold too...

Why is everybody forgetting the Ultrabuilds so fast? Seems like this is more of a replacement for THEM than anything else. If HF does end, a brand new line will probably take its place.

Because ultrabuilds were licensed and a sales flop.

Because ultrabuilds were licensed and a sales flop.

But that still makes two active constraction lines. And they can do that again, and it will most likely be more successful.

Am I the only one that feels that HF 2013 and Ninjago 2013's sets got the short end of the stick compared to Chima? Don't get me wrong, I think Chima looks great and I'm going to definitely collect them, but the Chima sets just feel like they have more thought put into them compared to HF and Ninjago this time around, especially in Hero Factory's case.

It's the theme LEGO expects to be the big seller.

They can hardly sell HF right now. Sure, the knights - But they were a system theme. Two themes using the build system just sounds very unlikely to me.

The best indicator right now is that the new HF sets seem to be built upon Chima's visual guidelines. That explains the medieval heroes and organic villains. It has transitional written all over it.

Can hardly sell HF right now? All indications we've received from TLG is that HF has sold quite well, thank you very much. And TLG has said publicly that they'd like to get to a point in the constraction figure market where they have multiple constraction lines on the shelves at once, so mission accomplished.

There are a few pretty cool parts here. I really like the orange used on Laval, more large orange cladding pieces make me happy.

I can see a paw under the shield, but I can't figure out how the shield connects to the hand.

I just had an epiphany - is it possible that the shield connects to the paw piece via a flick-fire missile? Also, it looks like Laval will suffer from a lack of forearms like Ogrum, given the paw pieces attach to what are supposed to be his forearms.

That's what I figured too (the proper word for that type of leg is "digitigrade"), but it still seems to be handled somewhat poorly. Digitigrade legs work like they do because the long part we think of as the "lower leg" is actually the back of the foot, with what we think of as the foot being merely the toe. And the design of Laval's feet doesn't really lend that impression.

Thanks for the clarification. I figured the "lower leg" was part of his foot. But I think the digitigrade legs are going to look weird on such a humanoid figure - XT4 pulled it off, but then again he wasn't that humanoid. In my opinion such legs work better with four-legged creatures like Fangz, but I'll have to wait and see.

Not to mention that the new Hero Factory headpiece seems like it's being designed for longevity. If Hero Factory were ending so soon, I think we'd be much more likely to see a simple remold of the Glatorian head or even just the continued use of the Glatorian head.

It's possible that these new Chima sets use the new head as well.

And there´s the gold HF part used in Cragger´s blade.

Laval uses a gold hilt piece as well. It looks really off on Cragger since he doesn't have any gold parts. I'll probably swap mine out with the black one on Furno XL when I get him, the gold will blend in better with his flame and trans-orange pieces than on Cragger, who doesn't have much bright colours.

However, the printed Chi cores are a let-down. Even the Phantoka Makuta looked better than that, and they were literally skeletal.

My problem with the printed chi cores is that why aren't they centralized? It's not like Lego has trouble printing over the center portion with the indent, they did it with the Superheroes Ultrabuilds. I had thought Cragger's was printed on the left side of his chest to signify the core being placed over his heart, then I remembered that crocs aren't humans. :tongue:

Edited by Lockon Stratos

^It's right there on the front page. Looks like a big public display that is very well done. I don't read Korean, so I don't know if it is a LEGO display or a LCP that set it up, but there is a great sculpture of the floating rock and some other great display bits. Good pictures.

Click on the speedorz picture right beneath the Friends picture :wink:

Edited by Ceroknight

I found it. Wow. These pictures are great. And the custom scenery is very nice. I'd love to see a display like this in real life...

I know that I´ll replace my Rocka 3.0 parts with Laval parts in my Elven War Lion... I´m looking foward the others to see what wonderful creatures I´ll make using their parts...

6337325767_dafa460501_b.jpg

From Bionifigs :

The heads look good, but the lion feet are pretty weird

Finally!!! Oh my freaking happy fit! We're finally going to get clawed feet in any of the green colors. Must absoluetly have.

I don't think Eris's axe head is going to be very hard to do. It's actually quite simplistic compared to weapons like, say, the Hex Shield.

That being said, if they do make her axe. Cragger's and Laval's weapons are very loosely based off the new swords they wield.

Sadly, I think Laval does in fact use Warm Gold, not Flame Yellowish Orange or Bright Orange. But he introduces some new elements in that color (the 6M "shoulder shell" used on his thighs, for instance, as well as what seems to be a 2.0 torso shell), so I suppose it's just as well.

I like that these figures seem to be incorporating back armor in unique ways. Cragger's got it attached somehow via his shoulder joints, so that it fills in the gap that attaching the armor directly to his back would leave behind his neck. Of course, this likely means the back itself might be less armored, but it's still nice to see some real thought going into this part of the design.

On the subject of the Chima figures we haven't seen, I'm quite confident Eris and Razar's wings will use the same mechanical wing element as so many of their vehicles use in the System sets. That part just screams "constraction" to me. Hopefully it will be useful for building nice articulated wings, since up until now the options are usually either skeletal-looking wings or one-piece wing elements.

I'm wondering why anyone actually thought he used orange. It's kind of obvious.

And Aanchir, could you please link to that wing part?

I'm wondering why anyone actually thought he used orange. It's kind of obvious.

And Aanchir, could you please link to that wing part?

Because it appears different from both the shield he is carrying (which would more likely be the same color as Rocka's) and the hilt to his blade. Obviously there's some weird lighting going on, but still, the differences in those colors is fairly stark.

I think Laval would actually look good in tan... I'd also love tan HF pieces. :sceptic: