Sign in to follow this  
greg3

MOC Glider Launching Winch

Hi

I recently got set 4442 (the airline exclusive glider) and thought it needed some way of getting "airborne". I decided against a towplane and instead had a quick Google for winches. I eventually settled on this design (it's actually not a launching winch - it's used to pull a launch cable back into position for the next glider but I had the parts in appropriate colours and it looked more in scale than my attempts to make a true launching winch.)

Reference pics

http://www.skylaunch...om/retrieve.php

Side view

photo-17.jpg

It has a functioning winch (rotating the white radar dish on the side retracts the "cable" (admittedly not very fast!!)

photo-18.jpg

photo-26.jpg

The winch can be towed by a car.

photo-24.jpg

Ready for take off!!

photo-25.jpg

Had to make a slight MOD to the glider (added wheels, a tail skid and an attachment point for the cable.)

photo-21.jpg

photo-22.jpg

Comments are always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Interesting and very original MOC.....I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh, but your Lego one is quite a good build......Brick On Glide On 'greg3' ! :classic:

Clever MOC greg3. I had no clue this was a way to get these thing airborne. I thought they were always towed. I may have to borrow this concept. :classic:

Very interesting moc "Greg3". Never seen anything like it but it looks very functional and can definitely see it in a layout that includes a small airfield.