eurotrash

MOC: Signal Box/Switch Station

Indexed by Moderator

Here's a MOC for you to enjoy. It's loosely modelled on a northern England Signal Box that is now disused - the only difference was that on the original the stairs were wooden and open and here I made them out of bricks and semi-enclosed them with a retaining wall.

As a concession to 2012 I upgraded the communication systems to include a Wireless dish.

8252267845_40d9912a69_c.jpg

And the northern England Railway system runs completely on steaming cups of hot tea served in a yellow mug.

8253343846_4ebef68f3c_c.jpg

And here's some MOC rolling stock passing in front of it.

8253350926_0fbdc736e4_c.jpg

8252270933_d2018dc95e_c.jpg

I hope you enjoy it and would appreciate any suggestions for improvement.

Absolutley Amazing! was the discoloration of some of the brown bricks on purpose? It looks very nice becuase of it! :laugh:

Edited by Electricsteam

Absolutley Amazing! was the discoloration of some of the brown bricks on purpose? It looks very nice becuase of it! :laugh:

Hahaha! I've ordered a whole bunch of stuff from BL from different stores this year and the color variation across the bricks has been noticeable - particularly the Brown I used in this MOC, but especially the Yellow. Everyone elses MOCs look impeccable and for a while I was wondering what to do with this one, but then I decided not to worry about it too much because it looked more lifelike with the variety. At one stage I was even half-tempted to create some graffiti stickers and slap them all around the MOC, but I thought that that was too much. :laugh:

Thanks for the kind comments.

At one stage I was even half-tempted to create some graffiti stickers and slap them all around the MOC, but I thought that that was too much. :laugh:

Yeah, you don't want to do that, as soon as you do, the whole neighborhood starts going to !@#$% (grin). BTW, it's a very nice signal box.

359-5909_img_2.jpg_thumb.jpg360-6032_img.jpg_thumb.jpg

Brown colours vary massively even in the same box with new sets Ive purchased, its amazing there is such a difference, old brown is just brown not much variation, but new reddish brown varies so much!!

but it does give a more natual look that I prefer, for some things..

Love the MOC might have to make one like this once I start my layout,

What a great MOC! I would love to build something like this for our layout.

The grey rolling stock is outstanding as well and will have to add a couple of those to my freight train!! Thanks for the inspiration.

Really nice, we used to have signal boxes similar in the south as well, some were wooden and some were brick. They have a certain character, not like the modern brick squares we have had recently, although I see even that one we had near our station has been demolished over the last few years. I expect it is all run from some cosy office now with a flat screen monitor or something.

Yes, i have also noticed the variation in the reddish brown, some look almost the same as the old brown and they go right through to being almost the same as the dark red and hard to tell apart, but as you say on some structures especially wooden ones that can make them look better.